Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you attach a roof rack to your roof?(home made one no bought)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you attach a roof rack to your roof?(home made one no bought)

hey, i plan on attaching a roof rack that im gonna make sometime next week to the top of a 1st gen runner that dosent have stock cargo roof rack bar thingy's, i would like to stay away from drilling holes, but i guess that its possible, as long as i can still get the roof off if i want/ need to!

thanks for the help in advance...
later
wade
Old 08-23-2003, 12:49 PM

Talking I did the D word on mine.

Shhhhh dont tell anyone because even though mine turned out good to go being mounted perfectly and leak proof to boot it still isnt what I would have done if I had the money to buy the mounting bars. I did this because I was in a hurry and knew I could fab it to look good. It does look good and does not leak a drip. I dont recomend it but if its what you want then do it. You would not be alone.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:52 PM

yeah but the only thing is you have a 2nd gen with a non removeable roof. i dont....i think itll work, if not i can always just duct tape and zip tie it on huh!
later
wade
Old 08-23-2003, 02:10 PM

The $75 roof rack I bought came with some brackets. I fabbed them to fit my roof with some compound rubber material I got from my work. I drilled the holes in the rubber strips smaller than the bolts so it would seal the holes. I did a leak test at the car wash and dry as a bone. When I drilled that first hole I was not sure what the heck i was doing but it really turned out quite good.
Attached Thumbnails how do you attach a roof rack to your roof?(home made one no bought)-new-hight-lift-roof-rack-35.jpg  
Old 08-23-2003, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drill it. There's really no other way to get a good grip. Be sure to use backing plates or some big-ass washers to spread the forces out. Someday I'll have my digital camera problems worked out and I'll post pics of how I fabbed mine.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Use 12 guage wiring and just twist tie it on

Believe it or not but I was on my way to the San Diego comic con with a friend of mine when I noticed a 4Runner with a large metal basket on the top. I commented on how funny it looked.
Suddenly she gasps and says, "Look!!! It's being held on by 12g. wiring!!!"
Sure enough, the idiot had used some wiring and just twisted it on to the roof rack. I took a picture but haven't had a chance to scan it.

I'll do that as soon as I get a chance
Old 08-24-2003, 06:22 AM

fender washers work sweet. I will post pics later aswell. Be thankful you dont have the frikkin headliner that 2nd gens have. That sucks taking that out. I used:
5/16
bolts
washers
lock washers
nuts
fender washers
make sure you seal it so it doesnt leak, i hear the DUHS already but I didnt do it and just fabbed up some rubber composite strips that i drilled smaller that 5/16 so it would create a tight seal to the roof.

I think if i were to do it again i would do the following. hard mount the bolts with proper washers and sealant or whatever to the roof. That way you can unboltthe rack from the roof without moving the bolts in and out of the roof eventually tearing it up. If its hard mounted i think you can just slide that rack on to the bolts acting as studs. Just an idea though.