Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ELocker: just the locker vs. entire axle

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELocker: just the locker vs. entire axle

I'm looking at doing the elocker retrofit, but don't really have the time, space, tools, or real know how to modify the housing as needed to fit the elocker 3rd. So, I'm considering finding a complete rear axle vs. just the 3rd member.

Has anyone done it this way? Is it cost prohibitive?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

I'd say it all depends on the cost difference, Tom. I know last year that Albuquerque Jim found a complete 4Runner E-locked axle in a junk yard and it was more than double the cost of a used E-locker third member. I would think that if the price were low enough on a whole axle, that would be an easier swap...Jack it up, pull the rear tires, unbolt shocks, swaybar, brake line and control arms, pull coils, and remove axle. Install in reverse.

Remember that in either case, you'll still have the wiring to deal with. And, unless you plan to change gearing, double and triple check to make sure that the new one has the same ratio as your stock front...not to state the obvious, but...
Old 01-26-2004, 08:49 AM

find one with 4.56's grab both axles and upgrade!

http://www.car-part.com
Old 01-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

How's the pricing compare to installing an ARB locker in your existing axle? You'd have the price of the compressor added on, but you'd get on-board air in the process, and also be set up for a front locker if you ever decided to take that street-queen of a rig of yours off the pavement!
Old 01-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Street queen.... hehe.... yeah it feels like it, can't remember the last time I was offroading. Probably in the Sept. - Oct. 2003 time frame.

Although today I did lock the hubs for the ride to work - ya know, for the 3-4 inches of snow we got overnight.

Rough pricing was up to $1100 for a complete rear axle on www.car-part.com . I'd say that was cost prohibitive unless I found a great deal locally. Gotta be close to an ARB + gears.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are not equipped to do the mods, it makes a lot of sense because there should be less down time in the end.

I would start making friends with whoever hangs out at welding places and then see if they can help. If I had the parts, my welding class is set on the idea of swapping a solid axle on my truck.

E-locked third for $350
Housing Mods for $100 at the high end I would guess
Wiring off the shelf for $100

That is not even to the cost of an ARB locker, as in just the locker.

It is sort of hard in this part of the country, but search the yards. I have found they do not usually have Toy's, but they do not usually know how much Toy stuff should go for. Any place on-line is going to bend you over. A rear housing complete with locker should not cost a guy more than 6 bills IMHO.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

while on the subject of e-lockers, where is the locker ECU in the tacos and runners? i have 3 rigs at the yard i go to and would like to get an ECU since i get stuff for a pretty good price there.
Thanks