Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-locker install problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-locker install problems

I had a reputable mechanic install the elocker for me. Everything seemed fine until I tried it on some sand. I noticed only one wheel was spinning and I needed 4wd to get back on the pavement.
When I turned to locker off I heard a racheting sound when I wanted to drive. When I turned the locker back on, the vehicle drove with only the driver side wheel pushing the vehicle.
Next morning I went to the mechanic and he pulled the passenger side axle shaft. I looks like the spline of the axle shaft was only in the diff. about half an inch and that portion of the spline has stripped.
I went back to the junkyard I got the locking diff from and found the actual housing the diff came out of. I measured the lenght of the axle shaft and it's the same length as mine.
The mechanic thinks I have to lenghten the axle shaft, but I've never heard of anybody else doing that and it just doesn't make sense to me.
When he installed the diff he didn't lock it. I read in some write-ups that this is required, but I don't know why this is necessary. (maybe somebody can enlighten me)
I also just now realized that he didn't punch the back of the housing, but the fork seems to move freely. I don't think those things have anything to do with it.
My 4runner came with 15" wheels from the factory and I think it has the 3.90 gear ratio. Again I don't think that the axle shafts or the third is any different then the 4.10 thirds.

I am hoping some of you can throw me some ideas, as I am confused and very dissapointed as I am sure you understand.

Thanks for reading, Arjan
Old 07-27-2004, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by arjan
I looks like the spline of the axle shaft was only in the diff. about half an inch
I've seen this mentioned before but don't know any more details. I'm running a full-floater rear so the shafts aren't identical (same length as stock tho') but I definitely have more spline engagement than that, more like 2".
When he installed the diff he didn't lock it. I read in some write-ups that this is required, but I don't know why this is necessary. (maybe somebody can enlighten me)
Not physically possible to install it unlocked, unless he gave himself lots of clearance when modifying the housing or removed all the studs.
I also just now realized that he didn't punch the back of the housing
Not necessary with a V6 axle.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks a lot for the feedback Shane, I really appreciate it. The mechanic said he drilled the holes with the third in place. Maybe he installed the long studs after he put the third in place.
I also recall reading something about that spline problem. I tried searching for things like "e-locker short shaft" but nothing came up. I am not sure which board I saw it on, since I also keep an eye on 4x4wire.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:35 PM

He'd have to pull ALL the studs if he somehow rotated it into place, I don't see it going in any other way with the shift fork out. I don't have a good pic handy but IIRC the edge of the shift hub protrudes out past the fork and will not clear the axle housing unless he really hogged it out like crazy.

On the axle shaft matter, the only thing I can think of is some of the earlier axles had a different carrier for the 4.88 gear set which usually came with the auto and 31" tire package combo I believe. Anyways it was offset differently, but I'm not sure if it affected the shaft lengths.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

Really, really dumb question...but, is there any chance that the e-locker your mechanic installed was a 4.30 and your front diff is a 3.90...thus causing a problem with the opposing ratio's?

(Not sure if that could strip the splines of a shaft, but I thought I would throw it out there)
Old 07-28-2004, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Christian, I've 3.90 in the front at the moment. I was only in 2wd with the locker on when it failed . I still have to change the front just like you did.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Gotcha!

BTW: A BL will really help that front diff swap when you are ready. (Just thought I would mention it).
Old 07-28-2004, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

Well this problem will have to wait until I get back from Europe. I will be getting married August 7 in the Czech Republic (my almost wife was born & riased over there). After that we will be in the Netherlands (I was born & raised there). When I am in Holland I will be staying with friends who have internet access so after August 12 I'll be checking in for sure!
Then August 26 I'll be back and working on the 4Runner since it is my daily driver.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Congrats!! Have fun and God Bless!