Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downey Manual Hub Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The upside is the stock geometry, the downside is it retains stock inner.

However it is a great product!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
I'm looking for the Taco Manual Hub Center Caps that they used with the alloy wheels. Do you have them?

They look like these...
Jim,

I just cut out the centers to get the desired effect. It turned out just fine I thought, and I have unlimited access to the hubs.

Hearing you guys speak of your manual hub travails makes me glad for my T100. $50 for a used set of Aisins, $12 for new gaskets, 1 hour of rebuild time and 30 minutes of install. I'm a happy camper. I actually have noticed about 1 mpg gain. That's significant for me. In addition, reduces drivetrain wear to a degree. And for the amount I was able to do it for, it was worth it.

Regards,
Joel
Old 09-17-2004, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
The upside is the stock geometry, the downside is it retains stock inner.

However it is a great product!
any idea when it'll be released?
Old 09-17-2004, 10:47 AM

I think very soon, possibly now, try calling Nicole at TC and asking her.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
I'm looking for the Taco Manual Hub Center Caps that they used with the alloy wheels. Do you have them?

They look like these...
We just got two wheels in with these style center caps. Still interested??
Old 09-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, How much? PM me.

Cool!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

I finally got my manual hub conversion done. I had bought some parts from DeathCougar back in August and have been sitting on them until now. I had a local shop do the work, ProTrux in San Marcos, and ended up needing more stuff. I had bought the snap rings and gaskets for the hubs since I was told I would need those parts.

The ball joints were in poor condition so I had those replaced and I needed to get some washers, which they had at the shop and didn't charge me for. I also needed to have the sleeves on the CVs replaced since they were pretty dented in and deformed around the edges. They were able to use the sleeves from my CV axles and put them onto the manual hub CV axles.

All in all it was a bit of a chore for them since I didn't have all the parts like washers, nuts and new balljoints. However it still came out cheaper than the manual hub conversion kits out there and is all factory parts.

Jim at ProTrux is a nice guy and full of info and stories.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:02 AM

I'm glad you were able to get it done. How does it drive now with the hubs unlocked? Noticeable difference?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calg3
I'm glad you were able to get it done. How does it drive now with the hubs unlocked? Noticeable difference?
Nothing I can notice really. Some people have said it's quieter but my truck is loud enough with the TRD stuff that I wouldn't be able to tell if it was.

Next time I fill up I'll see if there's anything to the sligtly improved gas mileage some people say they get.

I just like having the options with the hubs myself more than anything. Plus it fills in that sorry looking space that my wheels had with ADD.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:00 PM

Agreed. I also prefer having the control over options that the manual hubs give you.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by DevinSixtySeven
any idea when it'll be released?
I think the TC steering kit is available now. They had it on display at Expo and it is on the website as well.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
I think the TC steering kit is available now. They had it on display at Expo and it is on the website as well.
It's been avaliable for a few weeks now, I've got the kit sitting on my garage....
Old 10-11-2004, 02:56 PM

Forgot to mention, TC is working on a lower uni-ball adapter for Tacoma/4Runner's. It will be similar to their brand new uni-ball conversion for the older trucks. The best part is that it will work on stock width trucks since it will replace the lower ball-joint and the entire little piece with the steering link tab (pictured above). I'd also imagine that they will come standard with a double-shear tab for the heim steering kit. As soon as they get the shock hoops for the new Caddy kit figured out I think the uni-ball kit the next thing to be worked out.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:56 PM

How was Moab?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Had some time on my hands and started thumbing through my 2001 tacoma service manuals for manula hub stuff. I didn't see anything regarding manual hubs in the books. I know it's been said that 2001 was the last year for manual hubs. Wouldn't it be in the books? The only hub parts shown were ADD hubs.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Revisiting this thread...

So judging by the posts here, for 96 and up, its better to go to the junkyard and/or buy from someone who can source the parts for you. But has anyone actually purchased the Downey kit and is currently running it? Would be interesting to hear some feedback

Bob
Old 08-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Revisiting this thread...

So judging by the posts here, for 96 and up, its better to go to the junkyard and/or buy from someone who can source the parts for you. But has anyone actually purchased the Downey kit and is currently running it? Would be interesting to hear some feedback

Bob
i've been lookin through old manual hub threads too, and thats what my take on it is, that its cheaper to grab some parts off a taco.

and the reason you cant just bolt the spindles and all right onto the 4Runner is bc of ABS, is that correct? thats the reason for having to press them and put the manual hub parts on the 4Runner spindle?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by garrett1478
i've been lookin through old manual hub threads too, and thats what my take on it is, that its cheaper to grab some parts off a taco.

and the reason you cant just bolt the spindles and all right onto the 4Runner is bc of ABS, is that correct? thats the reason for having to press them and put the manual hub parts on the 4Runner spindle?
True, and True. Its still cheaper to get the kits from a wrecking yard (mine has one available right now!!) but if you have ABS, you will have to take the spindle apart and press the abs hub parts into the manual hubs. If you dont care about ABS, then its a direct bolt in swap.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Staff

BTW we do have a kit or two ready for sale, put together by your truly..and I've sold two of them to members on here already, so i know exactly what is needed.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
BTW we do have a kit or two ready for sale, put together by your truly..and I've sold two of them to members on here already, so i know exactly what is needed.
So whats the going price?

Quick Reply: Downey Manual Hub Conversion