Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do it yourself shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdastg1
It could look like the auto garage in Fast and furious II. You could have the chicks in bikinis walking around, with the wave runner races in the back, and the multi-colored Lifts

id be down for the chicks in bikinis. anyone know some models?
Old 03-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know if you could find any chicks willing to run around in Bikini's in WA state durring any time of the year. :pat:
Old 03-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stump1883
I don't know if you could find any chicks willing to run around in Bikini's in WA state durring any time of the year. :pat:
Set up a video camer and tell them your shooting an MTV music video, and they'll pretty much do anything you ask them to
Old 03-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Banned

Old 03-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

As blatently sexist as that sounds ... am I wrong?
Old 03-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Banned

I can see some of the girls at my college doing that ... but for the rest of the less superficial ones, I can't imagine them doing that. The girls that would do that are the ones you'd find at Spring Break wanting to get on one of those "Girls Gone Wild" POS videos! And you really wouldn't want them doing anything near/on/around your truck but posing!
Old 03-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with you completely. But if a women (or a guy for that matter) doesn't have enough respect for themselves, then I'm sure as hell not going to have too much for them either.

But if they just want to pose half naked for their 15 min of fame ... who am I to say no?

But seriously this was more of a "joke" suggestion, then a real one. But things happen to work out that way, then please let me know when the grand opening is. I'll have to swing by (and pick up 4route on the way there).
Old 03-17-2004, 07:20 PM
Banned

Dude, I'm not going if there are a bunch of bikini wearing airheads dancing around!

Just promise me you guys won't let them touch any power tools or anything because that would be a sad sad way to have a bunch of dangerous accidents happen right at opening!!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:27 PM

Hmmm, perhaps I should remind you guys that we are a Christian Off road club. The chicks in bikini idea may be successful from a business point of view, it doesn't meet with our moral standards...

No offense taken at all, I should just let you know who and what we are.

Gibby
Old 03-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Banned

I'm not sure you would want the type of business that "chicks in bikinis" would bring in anyway.

Advertise your willingness to help on projects, your vast array of tools, your features, etc. - that'll get you far more real business than making it into a sex-object thing.

Also, some girls might want to use it ... and I guarantee if they saw a bunch of girls in bikinis dancing around, they wouldn't want to do their work there or take advantage of your services. I know I wouldn't! So many auto shop type places are run by a bunch of sleezebags ... I think you'd find yourselves getting a lot more business and doing much better (whether you're Christian or not) emphasizing the higher things and the quality of your place and availability to help and openness as opposed to the "lower pleasures" or lowering yourselves to the level of a great many auto shops already out there. No one should feel intimidated coming in to do something on their car, or to have something done to their car by a mechanic - it shouldn't matter whether they are male or female, I just think if you start out on a higher plane than most of the sleezy autoshops around, you'll end up much better off in the long run - businesswise as well as morally (if that is a concern to you, and it should be).

I think all this is a great idea - but realize that you have a chance here to provide a service and a quality of service that doesn't have to sink to already prevalent levels of disrespect and sleeziness. This is all a fantastic idea - but you have the chance to make it right from the start, and promote something that would remedy a common complaint -- that there are very few honest, reliable, moral/non-sleezy places to get help with your car, or work on your own.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

A Christian shop, even better, man now your really gona make me raot trip to see this place. Really awsome ideas you got flying here, I hope everything pans out, and that quote for insurance couldn't be better . There might actually be a chance this place could beat the odds and take off.

We need alot more places around like what your talking about, 4route couldn't be more right, I'm tired of shops that you feel like your getting ripped off or jerked around before you even get the work done. It's a shame what auto places have come to stand for .

Last edited by Stump1883; 03-18-2004 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Banned

Maybe it'll spread like wildfire and I can get you guys to help me start up an offshoot here in Texas.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:28 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by upndair
Hey folks, some of the guys in our club are thinking about starting a do-it-yourself garage business where you can rent a stall in a fully equipped garage. Everything you'd need in terms of tools and supplies would be available onsite.

How many of you would be interested in something like this. Even if you don't live here, I'm trying to get an idea on how many people would use this.

If you would, what do you think would be a fair hourly rate that you'd be willing to pay?

Thanks for the market reseach help!

Gibby
I don't know....I'd be a little nervous letting other people use my tools. I figure that if they don't have the shop or tools at home then there's a good chance they won't know how to use the tool properly and damage it in some way....loose an eye or a finger.......and you know what that means.

Last edited by ZUK; 03-19-2004 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZUK
I don't know....I'd be a little nervous letting other people use my tools. I figure that if they don't have the shop or tools at home then there's a good chance they won't know how to use the tool properly and damage it in some way....loose an eye or a finger.......and you know what that means.
To some extent, that may be true ... but what about those of us who just can't afford all the tools or the lifts ... or those of us who live in an apartment complex or duplex where we have a garage, but not one big enough to really work in ... ?

You could always make yourselves available so that if someone came and had a question about a tool, you could educate them on how to use it safely and properly ... there's no harm in helping people become more informed about the tools they're using.

One of the reasons sleazy auto shops get all the business is because people don't get the opportunity to learn to use these tools, or to work on their own cars/trucks, so they end up having to take their cars to crappy auto shops for simple things -- either because they feel like they don't know how to do the stuff, or because they don't have access to all the necessary tools. To give people a chance to come to a shop like the one proposed could easily benefit more than just the individual. If on a whole people have more access to tools and a little hlep and feel less dependent upon shops who would rip them off, then it motivates those auto shops to improve their services because there is major competition, and people realizing that they can do these things themselves, when they have access to the necessary tools.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

The people that are too stupid to know how stupid they are. These would be the downfall of a business like this.

I just used your lift to rotate my tires and I decided I would paint my brake rotors too. Well I got into a wreck on the way home because you didnt put a warning on the lift stating "Do not use if you are stupid enough to paint your rotors... idiot"

Now dont get me wrong, I love this idea. But some serious supervision would be required. Then soon someone needs help so they get shown how to do something, Before long it highschool auto shop, and the grease ball fights cant be too far off
Old 03-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Banned

bahahaha ... gee, where did you get the example of someone painting their brake rotors?!?!! that guy was an idiot ... but i'd be willing to bet he did that all by himself all alone at "home"
Old 03-20-2004, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Gibby,

I think its a great idea. When I moved to Seattle a couple years ago, I searched for a month or so for a way to rent garage space to work on my car, to no avail. I think there are alot of shade tree mechanics that are living in apt. complexes that have hung up their tools due to lack of a decent workspace. I would think you'd have alot of guys just wanting plain old space, that already have their own tools. I'm in the process of moving into a rental house and doubling my rent, mostly because it has a garage and a huge basement. I'd suggest that you establish the business in/close to a metropolitan area- if its too far out in the suburbs, the locals are more likely to have their own garage/driveway to work in, and the city folk aren't going to want to drive an hour to spend 15 minutes changing their own oil.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:56 PM

I'm not thinking so much of people wanting to change their oil. I'm think more of the off road guys and gals wanting to do some of the more time intenstive work. It's more cost effective for the customer and the shop to have one guy rent the space for an a day than try to put 10 people through the same space in a day.

I'd think projects more along the lines of lift kit installs, brake jobs, transfer case repairs, clutch replacements, engine swaps. Sure the easy stuff could be done too, but your right, if it takes more time to get there than it does to do the job, it's not worth it.

The purpose of the shop would NOT be to teach people how to use the tools, although I'm sure we'd have no problem finding staff that would love to offer their advice to the budding shade tree mechanic.

I think the liability issue is being a little over worked here. Think of how much training you get from places like Bunce Rental. We've rented dozers and excavators and we get a 30 second review on what the levers do and we sign a waiver. It's not their job to train us on how to use an excavator safely or wisely, nor are they liable if we don't. I we rent a tool to someone and show they where the switches and such are, what they do with the tool is their problem. Where they'd get more help and make it a lot more fun (our club likes to work this way) is to get a few buddies down - especially those that know what they're doing, to help with the job.

I have all the tools needed for just about every job that we'd do, but I can't have someone come use my garage all weekend long - my wife would kill me. We've already pushed that envelope a few times... plus, I don't fit in my garage any more...

You get some of your buddies down after work of on the weekend and do the IFS lift, or rear spring conversion etc. The cost stays down, it's more fun and you get to learn from your buddies that have more experience at the same time.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:32 PM

oh yeah, its always better to have one or two other guys helping you out, plus when you come across a problem then you have 2 other brains coming up with a solution

oh yeah, a lot of times places that rent tools out can't even give you a 3 sec. review of what something does, because it is part of the liability, but its not their problem when you don't use common sense and mess stuff up.

Last edited by KevyWevy; 03-21-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Idea.
Just to add to suggestion, I would collect a deposit before they start on it.....It's easy to ask for the cash before than after.

Quick Reply: Do it yourself shop