Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHEAP On board Air. Inflate & Deflate 4 tires at once

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Hey Bob,

I think Deathrunner experienced some problems with the auto shutoff from the heat of the engine bay where he hardwired his. You might want to PM him and confirm that first. I seem to remember - I don't know for sure.

Yes, when I first tested the unit, we had been tooling around in the near 100 degree heat at Superstition mountain. We had been wheeling all day. I did not lest the engine cool before I started using the compressor. To make matters worse, I left my engine running for the fear that my old battery would get drained. The combination of the underhood heat, the new heat generated by the motor and the fact that my compressor is mounted on the same side as my header did not help.

I filled my tires up from 15 to 25 when the switch shut off. I then drove down the road maybe 5 miles. I tried the switch (in cab) again and it was working. I pulled over and aired up to 35 without the motor running and had no problems.

I have not had any issues since. I went to Ocotillo with some friends and I filled up my 4 33's and 4 31's without ever kicking the heat switch. It wasn't as hot as Superstition and I still had the engine running sometimes.

Now I have an optima and I am not so worried about draining it. It really is a great compressor for the money. I was expecting it to be slow for that price, it isn't super quick, but it is not slow by any stretch.

I would recommend trying to make room for it on the opposite side of the engine (Away from the header). I simply do not have room on that side, so I eventually plan to extend the air filter on the compressor to inside the air vent area. I no longer have functioning vents or hood hinges, so this would be a nice way for the compressor to get clean cool air and run less risk of overheating.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deathrunner
Yes, when I first tested the unit, we had been tooling around in the near 100 degree heat at Superstition mountain. We had been wheeling all day. I did not lest the engine cool before I started using the compressor. To make matters worse, I left my engine running for the fear that my old battery would get drained. The combination of the underhood heat, the new heat generated by the motor and the fact that my compressor is mounted on the same side as my header did not help.

I filled my tires up from 15 to 25 when the switch shut off. I then drove down the road maybe 5 miles. I tried the switch (in cab) again and it was working. I pulled over and aired up to 35 without the motor running and had no problems.

I have not had any issues since. I went to Ocotillo with some friends and I filled up my 4 33's and 4 31's without ever kicking the heat switch. It wasn't as hot as Superstition and I still had the engine running sometimes.

Now I have an optima and I am not so worried about draining it. It really is a great compressor for the money. I was expecting it to be slow for that price, it isn't super quick, but it is not slow by any stretch.

I would recommend trying to make room for it on the opposite side of the engine (Away from the header). I simply do not have room on that side, so I eventually plan to extend the air filter on the compressor to inside the air vent area. I no longer have functioning vents or hood hinges, so this would be a nice way for the compressor to get clean cool air and run less risk of overheating.
deathrunner,

ok, thanks for the detailed explanation. definitely sounds like the hot engine environment, not-so-great location and running engine were the culprits.

for me, i'd still have some issues with mounting this anywhere in the engine bay. made in china does not inspire me to put it anywhere in a dirty engine bay

so it seems like everyone is running it from the ciggy lighter and no one is having problems with inflation. maybe i'll just skip the hardwiring (for now)

bob
Old 06-28-2005, 11:01 PM

I guess if you're hitting mud and water, the engine bay isn't a great idea.....I myself try to shy away from those environments now.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
I guess if you're hitting mud and water, the engine bay isn't a great idea.....I myself try to shy away from those environments now.
right yeah, i dont hit the mud and water either, but i know how dirty/dusty an engine bay can get and thus, im concerned about the longevity of this compressor.

bob
Old 06-28-2005, 11:47 PM
ORB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
deathrunner,
so it seems like everyone is running it from the ciggy lighter and no one is having problems with inflation. maybe i'll just skip the hardwiring (for now)

bob
Bob,

I'm not sure about anyone else (I might have gotton an MV-something else), but mine has clips to be attatched straight to the battery, no cig plug. Not a big thing, just a heads up. Maybe someone else can chime in..
Old 06-29-2005, 12:00 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah good catch ORB...
Bob, the compressor has clips to hook straight to the battery so it'll be easier to hardwire. It even boasts the capability on the side of the box. The compressor does come with a filter... I'm thinking I might replace that with a small ricey filter

One thing to consider though is that the noise this thing makes is not annoying outside but I can imagine in-cab that it would be pretty nerve-racking. Another thing that I remember the last time I used it was that it was really hot after airing up 4 tires. You'll want to give it space to cool down after use. If you do decide to hardwire and stick it in the cab somewhere those are some definite factors to consider.

All in all, awesome compressor
Old 06-29-2005, 04:02 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Again, interesting find...we'll see if you guys are still happy in 2-3 years w/ the product. For the money, sure it sounds hard to beat, but "too good to be true" seems to come to mind...I think I'll stick to the "tried and true". Good luck guys and please keep us posted.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:27 AM

Tried and true: 200.00+

Cheap and effective: 25-45.00

I'll be happy to get a year out of it. 3 years later I'll still have only spent 140.00 if I have to replace it every year.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:16 AM

Yes, keep us posted as I'm very interested in this mod as well.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:17 AM

Mines still working GREAT. submerged it in water, mud, snow, beat the crap out of it. I fill 33's 35's and 31's no problems yet.

For the $50 bucks it cost it has probably allready paid its self off, in the quarters I would have spent at the gas station airing back up.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Better hurry, not sure if they're going to be around much longer: click.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

If you guys search enough on Ebay you'll find that there's some people there that don't know how popular these things are getting.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:32 PM

I just picked up 2 from the local Kragens for $24.99. If anybody hooks up a tank, I'd love to see some pictures or "how-to's".
Thanks,
Rich
Old 06-30-2005, 12:17 PM

good grief, that was not easy finding one! i got the last one within 10 miles of my home!

couple o' thoughts: i do remember borrowing one at the death valley trip. i believe it belonged to dealmaker. in any case, now i remember it. two battery clips and a rather thin line w/ plastic tips (except the ball pump). but it does its job very well for $25.

now there is absolutely no room to hardmount this into the 3rd gen V6 engine bay. i would say that because its so easy to hook up to the battery and that the cord and air hoses are long enough, there's really no need.

glad i got one

bob
Old 06-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sleepercivic
I just picked up 2 from the local Kragens for $24.99. If anybody hooks up a tank, I'd love to see some pictures or "how-to's".
Thanks,
Rich
Check out this picture from 4crawler's site. He's got some pretty good write-ups there - you might want to check it out!

http://www.4crawler.com/4Runner.shtml

EDIT:
The image is drawn in black and will adopt the color of the background. If any of you guys are viewing under extreme you would have seen nothing but black
Here's a link to the page with the image:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...mpressor-5.gif

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 06-30-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

now there is absolutely no room to hardmount this into the 3rd gen V6 engine bay. i would say that because its so easy to hook up to the battery and that the cord and air hoses are long enough, there's really no need.
I found room for my ARB compressor, you might consider this option:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...64641230movrRT

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...64641249amEyyh
Old 07-05-2005, 08:57 PM

forget hardmounting this sucker...

i wouldnt want it to live in there.

sure it looks cool as you walk and connect a hose under the hood, but then again, you cant take it with you, say in another car (but of course at $25 a pop, you can afford to buy one for each car... lol...)

plus i like that cool little bag.

the hard mountable QAII ($259) i got was turned into a portable one. but the ARB one ($199) was hardmounted in mine...
Old 07-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Banned

has anyone found a better place to purchase these, i cant find one anywhere but pepboys, and its $70
Old 10-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

uh oh. my compressor dropped today and one of the ONLY plastic parts on this compressor broke: the air filter. has this happened to anyone else? did yall order a new one from dv innovations or replace it with some other generic filter?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

I would think that any type of air/fuel filter would work fine?

Quick Reply: CHEAP On board Air. Inflate & Deflate 4 tires at once