Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHEAP On board Air. Inflate & Deflate 4 tires at once

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some waters are rated for 200 storage, most are 100, when rebuilding them we hydrotested them all to 300. Yes, those ones are stainless so they're a better choice than the typical dry-chem steel cylinders, but they are also somewhat thin walled.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Woohoo!
Picked one up today - not bad for $44.99!

Like Marc, I wanna go out and flatten at tire so I can reinflate it
Old 03-26-2005, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's pretty quick, I'm satisfied so far. I hard mounted mine under my hood. I had to relocate the coil. Originally I wanted to put in on the pass. side to avoid the header temp., but I have too much wiring over there as well as the ac condensor.

So it's on the driver side. Since I have no hood hinges, I was able to run my hose through the hinge hole and out the vent hole under the fender. I ran a switch into the cab that works only with the ignition. Then I routed a relay onto the pass. side. Just one more benefit to a fiberglass front clip.

I took the gauge off the pump and plugged it with a 1/8" plug. I also took of the quick disconnect and used a 1/8" 90 elbow and an 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to go to 3/8" hose and quick disconnect.

I removed the handle on the unit for clearance, but I do not recommend removing the allen head bolts to do this. If you are considering removing the handle, just cut it. It is very difficult to get the nut inside back on the bolt. DON'T SCREW WITH IT!!!!

I can post pics if need be.

Last edited by deathrunner; 11-03-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
I removed the handle on the unit for clearance, but I do not recommend removing the allen head bolts to do this. If you are considering removing the handle, just cut it. It is very difficult to get the nut inside back on the bolt. DON'T SCREW WITH IT!!!!

I can post pics if need be.

My handle came off no problem, and the allen head bolts screwed back in again with out a problem. Maybe thats on of the improvements for the MV-1050 over the MV-50 ???

So Far I Love my setup, and have been using it a bit, I even inflated my bike tires this weekend with it (Instead of firing up the compressor in the garage)
Old 03-28-2005, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
What kind of connection is there between the hose and the compressor. I want to run a short hose with a quick release from the compressor to the inside of my fender. I want to just flip a switch in the cab and hook up in the fenderwell. Taking off my hood is a pain.

Its a standard Quick disconnect. But you can unscrew it from the compressor and add whatever connection you like.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:22 AM

I had to settle for a CH 7 gal air tank from walmart myself.
The nice stainless 2.5 gal Fire Extinguishers here get destroyed by the local fire dept after they expire so you can't find them.
I guess they don't like people using them for projects because of liability reasons.

Last edited by 934rnr; 03-28-2005 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Woohoo!
Picked one up today - not bad for $44.99!

Like Marc, I wanna go out and flatten at tire so I can reinflate it
I eyed one of these a couple weeks ago at Kragen, but didn't give it a second thought until reading this thread. I picked one up on my way out of town to Death Valley. My original plans called picking up an ExtremeAir Outback instead. So, I ended up spending a bit <$50 instead of a bit <$500. Now THAT felt good! Used it twice in DV with no problems. If I can get a year or two of use out of it, which I imagine I will, then I'll consider it a solid investment.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:11 AM

Maybe I'll pick one up to use with my ARB in front.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:45 PM

Allrigh, so I finally used it out on the trail. After 6 or 7 hours on the hot trails out at Superstition Mountain I decided to inflate my tires.

I chose to let the motor idle to run the alternator while I aired up. I got from 15 to 25 fairly quickly, then the motor stopped. The thermal protector shut off. The underhood temperature was HOTTTTT!!!!! and the compressor is on the same side as the header. I figured 25 PSI was enough to get to the gas station. So I hit the road.

1 mile down the road, the breeze must have cooled everything off, because I hit the switch and the comp. came on. I pulled over and aired up from 25 to 33 in no time. This time I did not run the engine to be conscious of heat, I did not drain the battery.

That thermal switch is awesome. I'm glad it portects the compressor. I feel that if I had the convinience of waiting for an hour or two, I would not have encountered this problem.

I'm definitely keeping ti under my hood.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:14 AM
Contributing Member

I had to use mine a couple times this past weekend. I was pretty surprised at how quickly I managed to air up. I have no experiences with CO2 or Viair or any other high name big $ compressors but this thing worked SO much faster than those small $20 compressors you normally see around. Awesome! Thanks 4hummer for turning us on to these

I went and bought a couple more. Ebay here I come
Old 04-05-2005, 07:55 AM

How much are they on ebay?

You know you can get them right here in San Diego for 48.00 after tax.

Just go to kragen.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:41 AM

I think he means he's going to sell the extras on eBay and make a little money.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:02 PM

So he's that guy.....
Old 04-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Shane is right. I actually do have a few spare parts, etc that I could Ebay off. I haven't gotten around to it but actually buying something specifically to Ebay may get me off my lazy keister.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:06 AM

Think I'm gonna go pick one up at Checker this weekend. $50 for the compressor, $30 for a tank, and ~$20 for the manifold parts and I have OBA for $100. You can't beat that with a stick, no matter how large it is !

Steve
Old 04-08-2005, 06:09 AM

http://www.shoplocal.com/shoplocal/d...ailerid=-99798

Pep Boys $49.98
Old 04-08-2005, 07:16 AM

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...artnumber=MV50

Kragen 44.99

Old 04-08-2005, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lefty
Think I'm gonna go pick one up at Checker this weekend. $50 for the compressor, $30 for a tank, and ~$20 for the manifold parts and I have OBA for $100. You can't beat that with a stick, no matter how large it is !

Steve
Cool! Nice thing about the 4th gen is all that room under the hood. How big of a tank and where are you gonna get it? Please post on your parts and progress as I'm interested to see how it goes.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
Cool! Nice thing about the 4th gen is all that room under the hood. How big of a tank and where are you gonna get it? Please post on your parts and progress as I'm interested to see how it goes.
I plan on doing a 1 gal tank at most. I'll probably find a place to stick it in the front bumper "cavity". If you look, there is a LOT of room up there.

My evil plan is to build a nifty manifold off the tank to run an ARB and a connector for me to inflate my tires. I rarely air down when froading, and when I do, it's to ~20 psi. So I'm thinking this setup will do me just fine.

Sure as heck will beat the ARB compressor that they want $300 for ! (ouch).

Steve
Old 04-08-2005, 09:16 AM

Im glad to see you guys going out and buying these units. I love mine, Used it last weekend and I filled my tires from 9 to 30 Psi (I have 31': Tires) than I filled my buddies 33" MT's up for 10 to 21 psi before the thermal protection cut her off, after about 5 min she kicked back in and and filled those 33's to 31 psi in a few minutes.

I love my little compressor. Going to be adding a tank VERY soon, (actually thinking of using the slliders Im building as air storage tanks

I need to figure out what to coat the inside of the sliders with.. Will paint hold up ? or is there something better ?

Quick Reply: CHEAP On board Air. Inflate & Deflate 4 tires at once