Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All-Pro Upper Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 03:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceTS
But the photo doesn't show full droop in the front, whereas this one does;
I missed that pic. ok that would have been the better one to post. sorry.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:34 AM

Thumbs up

My Total Chaos upper control arms came in yesterday , along with Donahoe coil overs, Deaver rear 7 leaf springs, and new Bilsteins.
Anyone wanna come over and give me a hand???
Old 09-30-2004, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 01Mossy Oak edition
My Total Chaos upper control arms came in yesterday , along with Donahoe coil overs, Deaver rear 7 leaf springs, and new Bilsteins.

dang. nice purcha$e.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by calrockx
dang. nice purcha$e.
Thanx Cal,
My truck is stock and I have putting off the investment for awhile.
Do you like your coil over n upper arm combo ?
Like you I will be running 285s Cal.
I am thinking about getting a r.b. lift also but have not made up my mind yet.
I would like some sliders like yours plus bumper and it sure sounds like your rig is seriously tricked out dude.

Last edited by 01Mossy Oak edition; 09-30-2004 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 01Mossy Oak edition
Anyone wanna come over and give me a hand???
I would if I was still in Tuscaloosa but I'm a little far out now.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Away

I love how on-topic this thread stayed.

Only ONE person actually answered my question.

G
Old 09-30-2004, 07:48 AM

Sorry Doc..... I got off topic.

Bama, its the thought that counts

Last edited by 01Mossy Oak edition; 09-30-2004 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:47 PM

Peter Parks of TTORA has the all-pro arms...you can ask him what he thinks about them...he's also done an extensive write-up on the install...you can look it up at www.parksoffroad.com
Old 10-01-2004, 07:11 AM
Away

Thanks for the link. Good write-up.

I like how honest he is about his mistakes.

Peace!
G
Old 10-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Away

After looking at all the manufacturers, I'm going to go with the Camburg UCA's and buy them from Wheeler's Off-Road. They're selling them for $439.

I'm not buying them today, but I most likely will get them before the end of the year.

Thanks again to all for their info!

G
Old 10-04-2004, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All Pro has not really sold that many of there new UCA kits and they don't come powder coated and TC are the same as Camburgs and Inland Trucks but with 3 coats of clearcoat that make them shinny. There has been problems of TC arms being to short and rubbing the shock tower and punching holes in the inner fender well on full up travel. I think the Inland Trucks Ball joint arm keeps everything close to factory specs with a little more travel. But if you want uniballs you might want to go with Camburgs and save the money.

Last edited by Scottz; 10-04-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:47 PM

I've seen camburg upper arms punch holes thru the inner fender well also.....the TC upper arms use a higher quality uniball....also I believe they fixed their problems with the arms being too short....

One word of advice....snag some lube for the bushings of the upper arms, whichever brand you end up getting...the little bits that camburg gives ya is nowhere near enough....don't be shy with the stuff either...put globs of it everywhere....otherwise your truck will squeak like crazy

Last edited by snwbdr; 10-04-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by snwbdr

One word of advice....snag some lube for the bushings of the upper arms, whichever brand you end up getting...the little bits that camburg gives ya is nowhere near enough....don't be shy with the stuff either...put globs of it everywhere....otherwise your truck will squeak like crazy
yes, this is true.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:03 PM

The uniball used by TC is the same as Camburg, Inland Trucks and All Pro, supplied by Kar Tek (Part #JMX16T) The other guys just leave the word "race" out of there ad. And yes pack in the GREASE.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:30 PM

So basically what are the main benefits of running the uniball a-arms vs. the Inland Trucks that utilize the OEM ball joint. Are the uniball joints a lot stronger?
Old 10-04-2004, 09:54 PM

My experience with uniballs vs ball joint is the stock ball joint on 96 newer Taco/4Runner has more degree of angle than a uniball with a 3/4 bolt and hi-mis spacers that's why Inland Trucks ball joint kit get a little more travel (1") then the uniball kits. But nothing is stronger then a uniball. Another thing I notice is uniball kits move the upper a-arm pivot point 2" above the stock pivot point changing the stock geometry (just like adding a 2" ball joint spacer) and doing so would make the camber more positive. So to try to fix this problem with the uniball design TC shorten the upper a-arm about 1" from the stock a-arm and this is what caused TC a-arm to rub the shock mount.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scottz
My experience with uniballs vs ball joint is the stock ball joint on 96 newer Taco/4Runner has more degree of angle than a uniball with a 3/4 bolt and hi-mis spacers that's why Inland Trucks ball joint kit get a little more travel (1") then the uniball kits. But nothing is stronger then a uniball. Another thing I notice is uniball kits move the upper a-arm pivot point 2" above the stock pivot point changing the stock geometry (just like adding a 2" ball joint spacer) and doing so would make the camber more positive. So to try to fix this problem with the uniball design TC shorten the upper a-arm about 1" from the stock a-arm and this is what caused TC a-arm to rub the shock mount.
Exactly what I found as well. Exactly. Which is why I stick with the stock ball joints, I don't do high speed or jump. I want the extra 1".

My arms have never squeeked but I did lube them up very well, 2 years ago !!!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scottz
Interesting...Toyota engineering!
Old 10-11-2004, 07:59 AM
Away

Yeah, those are good points you guys made. I didn't think about the pivot point being changed. And I too, like the idea of more travel. I guess I have to re-think (again) which arms I'm going with.

Thanks again for all the info!
G
Old 10-28-2004, 10:50 AM

FYI:
Camburg has a unique press in slug that also doubles as the lower high-misalignment spacer. This combined with their 5/8" F-911 bolt allow for stock geometry and full angularity without a strength compromise. Both TC and Camburg arms have zerk fittings now so you can lube them on the vehicle. Like Steve though I haven't had squeeking even after two years.

Steve, your ball-joints aren't limiting your travel anyway, your frankenshocks are. That's not a diss though, your setup works very well for your needs and the price is right.

The main thing I like about uni-balls is the simplicity of assembly/disassembly especially when removing and installing CV's as is unfortunately somewhat common with our vehicles!

Quick Reply: All-Pro Upper Control Arms