Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about Marlin Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Kids beat a stupid 4Runner anyday. I'd give mine away in a second for my boys. One day you'll understand...if you are lucky!

Have you go that right, my wife and I didn't want kids years ago. Then along came our first one and we just had a little girl, 11 weeks ago. We wouldn't trade our lives now for anything!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still will say no....I don't think kids are for me, I just couldn't deal with it. Anyways.....my order has been shipped, finally. So it's been 1 business day since i orderd and they put it on the truck today. And I bet it will take till monday for me to get them in.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Kevin,

At that sale price I almost financed your purchase myself! I'd say that was a pretty good trade! I had to order a set for my truck at that price. Hmmm . . . . now about installing them?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

anyoen experienced in welding that can give me some tips in welding my sliders? My friend has a hobart 180 i think it is...
Old 09-13-2005, 12:08 PM

Well I ordered mine yesterday, just went ahead and did it online. They dont show the privacy stuff till the final check out page, so I felt safe doing it once I seen them . I will be welding them on myself but i do have a couple questions? First i want to make some square plates to weld to the end of the legs so there is more surface area on the frame, what thickness metal should I use for these? And second is how does a guy go about holding these things in place during the fitment stage? Im thinking some jackstands and maybe some duct tape to hold them in the angle I want?
Old 09-13-2005, 01:18 PM

Once you have the depth measured and the support legs cut and welded onto the sliders. Have a firiend or significant other hold the slider in place and tack them on. That way you can re-check your postion and/or move them accordingly before final welding. I am going to use either 1/8" or 1/4" plates for the frame mounts, depending on what I have around the garage at the moment.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:49 PM

Wow what a buying frenzy. Well i got an Email from Marlin today saying that my order has been processed and I got a tracking number. Not bad since i ordered them on Saturday and they shipped after 1 business day. Marlin you
Old 09-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone know how I could go about welding these on? None of my friends (or I) have a welder, so thats a problem. Think the people installing my bumper could/would weld them on for me?
Old 09-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Measure where you want to install the sliders and get them centered on the frame. Measure how long the legs need to be and if they are going to fit flush. I put on 1/4" scab plates so I had to cut my leg length down just a tad. Mark where they will go, clean up the area with a wire wheel to the metal and check again. Then when you are ready to tack, use a piece of wood the width you want the sliders off the pinch weld under the pinch weld to give you an even linear gap all the way down. I used a 1 by something (3/4") and then tack welded in place...took a step back...looked good...finished it up. Repeat other side.

Then I jumped up and down on them shaking the truck...solid as a rock (not a Chevy)

Don't waste money powder coating sliders, they are MADE to get the rock rash, dents and damage, rattle can them as it makes for SIMPLE touch up and no one ever will know.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Then when you are ready to tack, use a piece of wood the width you want the sliders off the pinch weld under the pinch weld to give you an even linear gap all the way down. I used a 1 by something (3/4")
I lost you there!

Thanks for the advice. I have a buddy with a welder. This might be a fun project!
Old 09-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
The bottom of the rocker panel and the floor panels are fastened together in a pinch weld on the bottom of the outside edge of the 4Runner...pinch weld. It runs the full length of the truck....underneath right above where the main rail of the slider will sit when welded on. Get under there and look at it. You don't want the slider sitting on it, but w/ a gap so it can flex a bit and not dent the rocker panel itself. So to get a uniform gap, put a piece of wood in there to make it the same gap all the way down.

Good luck.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Snorkeldepth
Hey Kevin,

At that sale price I almost financed your purchase myself! I'd say that was a pretty good trade! I had to order a set for my truck at that price. Hmmm . . . . now about installing them?

Hahahah, that actually paid for my Aisin's.... heh heh. I just couldn't pass up the deal. Hey Joel, you feel like going out to Pismo mid Oct? I don't know what it is... I'm just itchin' to go!

Edit: Crikey... I ordered them last night and they're getting delivered HERE tomorrow. I guess it helps that I'm only about 2 hours away...
Though I probably won't get them until the next day... BUT! MY FZJ80 coils are in my possession as of TOMORROW!

Last edited by Keggo; 09-13-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:54 AM

SWEET!
I ordered mine yesterday, and they came in today! these things are the beef!
next stop, bumper shop.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

I bet mine will take forever to come in......sucks to be way over here in this situation.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

any one have better welding experience than I do that k\can gice me some tips st welding this puppies on my truck? My friend has a hobart 80 i think is... He knows how to weld kind of. At least he's done more than have, just if there is any things to watch out out for etc... like i said I am basically still new to welding and have never welded sliders before... thanks, pm me if u can help
Old 09-14-2005, 11:32 AM

Just ordered mine, waht a sweet deal!

Lamm
Old 09-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bob200587
I bet mine will take forever to come in......sucks to be way over here in this situation.
bob mine get here friday and i'm in tulsa oklahoma. You are about 8 hrs from here i think? maybe 10, i dunno, so my guess is either saturday or monday.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:20 PM

goodnews and bad

The good news my sliders will be here on Tuesday
The bad news Marlin billed my cc twice

Been calling them the last 2hrs and the line is busy

O well poop happens
Old 09-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Mine just came 10 minutes ago... WOOHOO!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

I got mine just after I got home from work this evening! :bounce2:

Quick Reply: ? about Marlin Sliders