Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85 4runner, should i go with this lift? all pro?please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 4runner, should i go with this lift? all pro?please help!

so i have a 1985 4runner, and i'm not 100% sure how i want to lift it. i want it to pretty much be a street legal crawler. i'm really leaning towards the all pro extreme lift kit? then i was thinking about the 63" chevy spring/rear up front. or just buying trail gear spring.
i really like the idea of all pro lift just because everything comes in one big package deal. i wouldnt have to get springs here and mounts from there and shocks somewhere else.
does anyone suggest one over another, pros and cons of each. any reason not to get all pro?
i appreciate all the help/info i can get.

Last edited by sexyfatkid; 03-11-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:50 PM

bump.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 PM

I'd go with the pro lift. Downey also makes a good lift and I was also looking at LC engineering kit they have. Downey also has a nice on road ride spring that does well offroad. My friend got a 2" lift spring for the rear of his 93 prerunner he lifted and the rears springs road better than stock springs.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:02 PM

Help!

Anyone? I was debating between the Chevy/RUF setup or the All-Pro Extreme Kit, after all the misc stuff from here & there for the Chevy/RUF setup the All Pro kit comes out cheaper!!! and it's all NEW stuff, not misc. springs & steel....
Old 12-04-2008, 09:35 PM

The all pro is definately good, I would go with that if you have the money. Wabfabs stuff is quality as well.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
For the Chevy Swap: Read this 63" Chevy FAQ
Some people swear by the 63" chevy swap, great flex etc, but you are using used springs, no guarantee how much (if any) lift you will get. some say they drag on obstacles (bad departure angle)

For Rears up front: Read this RUF FAQ

4Crawler's website also has some great info on spring swaps
Link to 4Crawler

getting it all together in one package is nice...I pieced my front kit together after getting a 'great deal' on a set of springs. Ask Brian (waskillywabbit) I had a ton of small orders for mounts etc over the last year or do.

you might consider going lower than 5" springs. My '81 with 5" spring has a high center of gravity. I haven't wheeled it yet (dual cases being installed ) but I have a feeling I may be pulling leafs to lower it.

If you go with either a complete kit or All-Pro your springs with settle somewhat.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-19-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 12-08-2008, 03:46 PM

Question

[QUOTE=ocdropzone;50989707]For the Chevy Swap:
Some people swear by the 63" chevy swap, great flex etc, but you are using used springs, no guarantee how much (if any) lift you will get. some say they drag on obstacles (bad departure angle)
QUOTE]

Those are 2 great examples of why the debate between the Chevy/RUF or All Pro Extreme kit.

The work seems prettymuch the same; maybe slightly less on the All Pro (no assembeling & cutting misc. leaf packs...) but the Chevy's are supposed to "Ride like a caddilac & still haul a decent load" which sounds good compared to the All Pro springs which specifically say on their site "Are not meant to haul heavy loads"..but are shorter for better departure angles...

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE ALLPRO KIT? HOW DOES IT RIDE? HANDLE? FLEX? HAUL? Ect...
Old 12-08-2008, 06:40 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AllPro, Marlin, TrailGear, etc are "one size fits all" ... personally, I would have Alcans made just for my rig and my use ...
Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by tc
AllPro, Marlin, TrailGear, etc are "one size fits all" ... personally, I would have Alcans made just for my rig and my use ...
what would the alcans offer that the other spiring cant?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:57 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
More flex, better ride, less sag - they are custom built to your needs. Tell them how you use the truck and what it weighs and they will make a pack just for you.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:35 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by tc
More flex, better ride, less sag - they are custom built to your needs. Tell them how you use the truck and what it weighs and they will make a pack just for you.
The alcans do sound cool, Also sound WAY more expensive that the other 2 setup's (especilly since I would HAVE to get the "Orbit Eye"...). The All Pro kit is on sale for $1439 like $1600 to the door. Chevy swap is about the same since you have to piece all the other parts together & I dont have any misc. leaf packs sitting around...or a welder...

I have a BONE STOCK 85' Runner & would never need to use it as a D.D. but would have to drive 80 miles or so @ at as close to 75-80 as possible to get to a good place to rockcrawl which is the MAIN goal here.

I want to be able to drive to the Trail, do a 4 to 4.5 & drive home... & It would also be nice to be able to drive 400-500 miles to Moab or Cali.

The final delima is I dont have a truck other than the Yota so it would be handy to be able to haul a decent load if the need ever arose & would never be able to trailer it those lond distances to go wheelin...highway all the way...

PLEASE HELP>>>
Old 12-19-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 4Krawler
ANYONE???
All-Pro's kit is $550 more expensive that the similar Trail-Gear kit, and you get more stuff in the Trail-Gear kit:
http://www.addictedoffroad.com/Solidaxleswap.html

Hell, I package front and rear kits SHIPPED for less that All-Pro's front kit shipped.

I ran an All-Pro kit when I worked there on my rig. Nothing wrong with it at all. However, I have built two rigs since then using Trail-Gear's kits. My current one drives everywhere and is my DD. I'll be heading out to watch the King of the Hammers in February 09' with it. That is a 2000 mile road trip. It drives great on the road.