Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6" TrailMaster Install Pix

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=SC4Runner]You just hurt my feelings [QUOTE]

Sorry, I actually think it looks really cool too. I didn't realize that you had a bodylift on as well. That think looks sweet. From the wheeling you suggested I would keep the body lift on too. Unless you care about gas mielage, 35's and the height are rad.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks bad ass! I like that the CV's are straight. I'm anxious to see more pictures and hear about the ride quality.

Did you have to do anything to the front driveshaft now that the diff is lower and further away?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
No way I'd go through that much trouble to lift an IFS rig only to lower my ground clearance...

But it does look bling!

Old 05-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

For comparison:

My Dana 44 fully leaf sprung under 4Runner
4" Suspension lift
1" Body Lift
2" Tire Lift

Your 6" Trailmaster 4Runner
6" Suspension
2" Body Lift
2" Tire Lift

So your 3" taller than I am. Go right to the leafs, it will have to be spring over for that height and I have no clue what you should do on a spring over. You will see how floppy the rear is with all that lift and coils, it will firm right up with leafs and no sway bar. On a spring over plan on a trac bar as well.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I f*ked myself over and mis-read the instructions for the kit.

I cut the power steering line which powers the rack and pinion. AND the only way of getting a new one is to get one through toyota...AND they cost $366.

I am in the process of sanding down the metal tubing to fit a 3/8" compressor fitment... if that doesnt work then I need a new line.

Supposidly, I cant get one fabbed up either... which seems weird. I might try calling a different shop.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Well, I f*ked myself over and mis-read the instructions for the kit.

I cut the power steering line which powers the rack and pinion. AND the only way of getting a new one is to get one through toyota...AND they cost $366.

I am in the process of sanding down the metal tubing to fit a 3/8" compressor fitment... if that doesnt work then I need a new line.

Supposidly, I cant get one fabbed up either... which seems weird. I might try calling a different shop.
You can get one made a lot cheaper. Or go to a yard.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, thats what I thought.... I have a hose shop here in town I need to call up.

Every auto parts store around here tells me that it cant be done for some reason? Maybe they are just all being paid by toyota... lol.

But, seriously I dont think they should have a problem making me one.

I think I just need to give them the fittings for the resivior and the r&p and they can make it work.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

That's list price.

The part you need is 44410-35400 (96-98)

It's $263.84 from www.1sttoyotaparts.com

The hose for the 99-02 is considerably less expensive but I doubt it will work. That part number is 44410-35570 (99-02)

$208.69
Old 05-25-2005, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
You can get one made a lot cheaper. Or go to a yard.
No you can't I tried that. All the yards cut the hoses to get the engines out and a custom made one like I have is going to cost you alot more.

"Maybe" you can find a junk yard that has not pulled the 3.4 yet. The problem with a custom one is you need the banjo end which no-one will have.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, thats what I thought.... I have a hose shop here in town I need to call up.

Every auto parts store around here tells me that it cant be done for some reason? Maybe they are just all being paid by toyota... lol.

But, seriously I dont think they should have a problem making me one.

I think I just need to give them the fittings for the resivior and the r&p and they can make it work.

You can make one if you TIG weld an AN end to the banjo and go to a Catapillar place and have them make you an AN to AN line and finally you will need an Earls's adapter to go from AN to Metric.

Been there done that.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Steve for the info!!! Really appreciated.

Too bad its not the best of info, but, the prices are at least a litle cheaper than toyota.

I was wondering about that "banjo" fitting up against the power steering resivior. I thought I could just take it off and then give it to them and attach a hose to it...I guess its obviously not that easy.

Looks like I will be paying for my mistake. Live and learn I guess. Just sucks that the TM instructions were really vauge in this part. I mean, they tell you how to take off your negative battery connection in 3 steps, yet they dont say anything about getting your pressure line to accomidate an extra 4 inches... ahah.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

Well as a consolation I can give you $20.00 off the T-Bar if you send in the Power Steering Hose Banjo fitting with what ever hose is attached. Just send it in the same package as the T-Bar core and I'll refund you $170.00

We'll then TIG on an AN fitting for a SAS line to AN fittings.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Whats the deal too...No other parts websites have it in stock... weird.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Okay, yeah, I will be interested then.

Okay, so its just the fittings that scew me over in my situationm.,. doh!

Last edited by BajaRunner; 05-25-2005 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Basically I will take your $20.00 part and throw another $100 into it as well as getting an AN fitting TIG welded on.

Since I don't have a TIG machine, that will cost me too.

So in the end, you could make a "custom" one to replace your stock one or just buy another stock one. With an SAS useing the stock one is possible, by re-bending it, but that is kinda ghetto.

Try finding a junk yard that still has a motor installed.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

okay okay. I see that the OE part isint that much more expensive than getting a custom part which wont come with the same warranty and quality.

Last thing I want is my steering to go out when Im driving down the highway.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

I'm sure you noticed how well that thing was made, inner steel flex core, heavy duty line and some serious crimp fittings.

That line has to hold a huge amount of pressure. The parts from Catapillar are not cheap and the Earl's stuff is really expensive for what you get.

Basically unless you have access to a "free" TIG welding person who won't charge you, it will be cheaper to order it online.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:27 AM

Oh crap. I just did a SAS on my 96' 4runner this weekend and I figured nobody would need the lines so I tossed the power steering lines, I just called my dad, because I did the work at his shop and they picked up the trash yesterday. Figures. If you want call Yotayard, I was there last week and they were in the process of tearing apart a 99 4runner.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

hahah no way....doh!!!

So Im trying to get this Banjo fitting off from the PS resivor...It aint budging...how the hell does it come off?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:21 AM

hahah no way....doh!!!

So Im trying to get this Banjo fitting off from the PS resivor...It aint budging...how the hell does it come off?
It took me a while to figure that out too. I finally put a wrench on the fitting right next to the pump and manhandled the banjo bolt. The copper gasket wraps around the banjo fitting somehow and causes the problems.

Quick Reply: 6" TrailMaster Install Pix