Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Gen, increase rear articulation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Albuquerque Jim
Now that's entertainment! This is much better that going to the movies
Your guys arguments over here are mild. TTORA has some pretty heated ones!
Old 10-03-2003, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

I like the fact that I have met a few of these guys, including the infamous "Sonoran Steel Steve Schaefer" that makes it more interesting for me.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by sschaefer3
Here is the deal. I provide a huge amount if entertainment for these people. When I was a Moderator at 4X4Wire the SUV board had 100+ new topics daily and was the flagship board over there. Now since Myself and Joe over there did not see eye to eye over Clayton, I left. Now they get 10 new topics a day if they are lucky. The board is dieing a slow and painful death.

I'm not saying I single handedly increased Yotatechs popularity, but I'm sure there are quite a few folks who tune in to see what colorful crap I'm barking out lately.

Sure I'm blunt, Sure I'm short, Sure I'm cocky, Sure I think this is a competition, Sure I'm a jerk, Sure is a good roll on, Sure Jeff slammed him bumpers quite hard on Holy Cross many times, Sure enough I did not, Sure Steve Hunt broke an axle, Sure enough the 85 4Runner in 37's could not make it up that line either, Sure Chris is a ding dong, Sure Mike Nevitt has alot of free time, Sure Corey and Joe are the best of buddies, Sure we should start a collection for gas money so 44Runner can drive out west, Sure DeMello and Yogi are gay lovers, Sure Crawler 976 has a low range only 1/2 as low as mine, Sure PoBoy like underwater expeditions, Sure Claytons dad will buy him many more vehicles for free, Sure Adrian’s 4Runner actually has front suspension, Sure Mike Brown made it through Chinaman's with no lockers, Sure it was $500 to straighten his frame, Sure everyone hates me, Sure I don't care.

LMAO. Steve dude. Thats classic. Keep it coming bubba.
I for one get the humor. I hope everyone else does.

Old 10-05-2003, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by PoBoy
You cant buy my 4Runner unless you hate steve...its in the agreement.
Well yea.... It's in the FAQ I read on 4X4Wire when I first started going there...

Old 10-05-2003, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by JDeMello
Your guys arguments over here are mild. TTORA has some pretty heated ones!
Try the Pirate board. Don't forget your nomex...

Old 10-05-2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by JSharp
Try the Pirate board. Don't forget your nomex...

Pirate board..lol.. Yeh I have been apart of a couple of them..lol. I would say search for my name over there but It might change everyones opion of me..lol
Old 10-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is he still alive ?

Certainly! Just waiting for an opportune moment to say something.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still don't understand why a 17 year old boy got your panties in such a bunch.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

I am currently running 19" Mastercraft limiting straps to keep the coils in place. Normally the bottom mount strap would attach to the bottom of the shock mount. I have moved this strap point to the axle, which gave me a couple more inches, I think. To gain more drop, I mounted some Rancho RS99221 shocks. These shocks have a 15" compression and a 23.250" extension. So far, these have been working pretty good. I'm working on making the bump stops a little larger so that I can move the shocks up a notch, and get them out of the rocks. The work never ends. How much flex are you looking to get out of a 3rd generation 4runner with coils.

More Pics
Old 10-05-2003, 09:07 PM

Steve,

You're definitely striking my interest here. I'm driving a 1997 limited, and I was told that 18" limiting straps were the way to go. I was also told by many that the OMEN86 shocks were the longest ones I could run without having to do a lot more modifications such as replacing the gas tank.

How did you come up with your setup, and what other mods have you had to do to achieve the awesome artculation that you've obviously got over my setup. I'd really love to hear about all the things you've had to do to make it all work in unison without the troubles that are normally mentioned. Please tell!

Chris
Old 10-06-2003, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
Steve,

You're definitely striking my interest here. I'm driving a 1997 limited, and I was told that 18" limiting straps were the way to go. I was also told by many that the OMEN86 shocks were the longest ones I could run without having to do a lot more modifications such as replacing the gas tank.

How did you come up with your setup, and what other mods have you had to do to achieve the awesome artculation that you've obviously got over my setup. I'd really love to hear about all the things you've had to do to make it all work in unison without the troubles that are normally mentioned. Please tell!

Chris
Ding Dong-

He has Rancho FJ-80 rear shocks, he has upper and lower spider trax arms with heims, no rear sway bar and a custom gas tank skid and I bet he still has drive shaft contact. What he might not know is that 15" of compression is too long. I compressed the rear FJ-80 shock so much that I actually blew the seals out.

Once again: try again, been there done that back in 2001.

Why don't you go buy a pair of FJ-80 rear shocks. I would love to see the carnage on a basically stock truck.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:23 AM

I wasn't sure you were referencing me when you said Chris a few posts back. I've had worse nicknames. I was just wondering, and my truck isn't basically stock anymore, by the way. Steve Hunt, any comments?

Chris
Old 10-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Ding Ding Dong,

actually they are Rancho shocks for a Dodge Pickup Truck, see the following sheet:

http://www.gorancho.com/documents03/..._numerical.pdf

Indeed I do have spidertrax upper and lower control arms, however during this last run, the only contact I had was with the yoke into the gas tank skid plate, this happened on Chinaman's Gulch, the last day of the CO4RJ. I lost the zerk fitting on the rear slip-yoke. I plan on installing a zerk fitting that is flush with the driveshaft, plus shaving the gas tank skid plate just a little to clearance the slip yoke just a bit. Also, I'm going to make the bump stops just a little longer to stop the tire from stuffing so much, and then move the lower shock mount up a bit.

The reason for buying these long shocks was to get the droop. The compression is not as important to me, as larger tires don't fit too well into the wheel-well.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SteveO
Indeed I do have spidertrax upper and lower control arms, however during this last run, the only contact I had was with the yoke into the gas tank skid plate, this happened on Chinaman's Gulch, the last day of the CO4RJ. I lost the zerk fitting on the rear slip-yoke. I plan on installing a zerk fitting that is flush with the driveshaft, plus shaving the gas tank skid plate just a little to clearance the slip yoke just a bit. Also, I'm going to make the bump stops just a little longer to stop the tire from stuffing so much, and then move the lower shock mount up a bit.

The reason for buying these long shocks was to get the droop. The compression is not as important to me, as larger tires don't fit too well into the wheel-well.
Same issue I had as well. Which is why I went back to 4Runner/Prado shocks.

It's real fun extracting/re-taping that sheard off zerk. I have done it several times now and just use an allen head bolt. Put a zerk in to fill it and put the bolt back in when I'm done.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

I mounted some Rancho RS99221 shocks. These shocks have a 15" compression and a 23.250" extension.
Actually they are Rancho shocks for a Dodge Pickup Truck,
Bilstein B46-1478, Land Cruiser

1991-1997 FJ-80

Compressed 380mm (14.96")
Extended 591mm (23.27")

386/54 rebound/compresson
Old 10-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

SteveO,

Are you running a custom gas tank skid plate? Custom job I'm assuming?

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 10-06-2003 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bilstein B46-1478, Land Cruiser

1991-1997 FJ-80

Compressed 380mm (14.96")
Extended 591mm (23.27")

386/54 rebound/compresson
I just thought of something and maybe you guys already know this, the bilstein shocks are high pressure shocks while the ranchos are not. I'd bet the rancho's can handle more compression because of this. The bilsteins start out high pressure and when the shock is compressed the shaft travels inside the shock body, raising the pressure even more (because it takes up volume), thus blowing out the seals. But since the ranchos start out with no pressure, the only pressure inside the shock is from the volume of the shaft and the seals don't get blown out.

Rancho's might be the ticket here and you'll just have to solve the dshaft problem.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 10-06-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Robinhood150
I just thought of something and maybe you guys already know this, the bilstein shocks are high pressure shocks while the ranchos are not. I'd bet the rancho's can handle more compression because of this. The bilsteins start out high pressure and when the shock is compressed the shaft travels inside the shock body, raising the pressure even more (because it takes up volume). But since the ranchos start out with no pressure, the only pressure inside the shock is from the volume of the shaft.

Rancho's might be the ticket here and you'll just have to solve the dshaft problem.
Good point, but I think the OME Comfort shocks for the FJ-80 would be even better, The FJ Bilstein shocks were quite a bit stiffer due to the larger size of the cruiser.

To be honest, I'm content with the OME Prado shocks which are:

Old Man Emu N86 Heavy Duty-Firm, Prado

Compressed 329mm (12.95")
Extended 539mm (21.2")

I still think improving the front, which no one really had dove into, with the exception of Camburg with the high speed long travle, is the ticket.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, the OMEs would probably work too since they're a low pressure shock.

I still think improving the front, which no one really had dove into, with the exception of Camburg with the high speed long travle, is the ticket.
I agree.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Question- other than added strength by going with the Spidertrax control arms, are there any other advantages?

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen, increase rear articulation?