Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

34x10.5 r15 LTB's

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
34x10.5 r15 LTB's

I'm digging these tires ever since I saw them tonight. Right between 33's which I'm not happy with size wise and 35's which is suppose to be too big for IFS. Does anyone have an opinion on a tire this size? I want to ditch the wide 33x12.5's I have due to gas/weight reasons. Do i need to worry about these tires biting harder on my IFS?

Where can I find a chart to compare weights of these LTB's vs my Wrangler At's?

Last edited by Stomis; 01-22-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

These have been talked about here, do a search.

I almost bought these in the 16" variety and didn't because they only measured 32". There was no way I was going to go down in size from a 295x75 R16.

Last edited by Albuquerque Jim; 01-24-2007 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:18 AM

What the actual measure on a 34 is 32? Thats a messed up drop...
Old 01-23-2007, 04:27 AM

Do they not offer a next size up? I remeber I had 285/75/16 SSR's on my 4Runner and they measured 33.9x11.4 So maybe in you case the next size if applicable would work. NO they dont offer a next size but if you looking for skinny try the Narrow SS.
http://www.intercotire.com/site32.php

Aaron
Old 01-23-2007, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to Interco, their 34x10.5 r15 LTB measures 33.6" OD.
I run the 34x9.5" SS TSL and I love them.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid
According to Interco, their 34x10.5 r15 LTB measures 33.6" OD.
I run the 34x9.5" SS TSL and I love them.
I'm just saying that in real life the 16" were noticably smaller than my 295's, I measured them in person and I passed.

Last edited by Albuquerque Jim; 01-24-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
I'm just saying that in real life they were noticably smaller than my 295's, I measured them in person and I passed.
Did you measure your 295's before you drove on them or put weight on them? Perhaps they were large. I bought a new 34x9.5" TSL and measured it when I got it home and it was exactly the size they promised.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:41 AM

The posts I am reading from search all say that the 34's come in around high 33.x to 34 on the dot.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:30 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on how you use your truck:

They are bias ply and SUCK on the road

they fit nice though and HOOK offroad...
Old 01-23-2007, 05:34 PM

I'm not too worried about the suck onroad factor seeing as how all my friends run 40 TSL's, 44 Boggers, 40 Groundhawgs, ect ect. I need to start looking for the cheapest place to buy them now, hopefully locally.

Btw is it worth it to balance these tires because I know it isnt for large bias plys.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:43 PM

A freind of mine has the 34x10.50 LTBs on his Taco, using 7" rims, and they measure almost exactly 32". When he first got them, I had 32x10.50 Super Swamper Radials that were three years old and worn, and they were exactly the same size as his 34x10.50 LTBs.

With 6" of lift on your rig you should really get a 35" tire. Check out the Q78-15 Super Swamper TSLs. They are about 35x11, and are a great tire.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:01 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stomis
I'm not too worried about the suck onroad factor seeing as how all my friends run 40 TSL's, 44 Boggers, 40 Groundhawgs, ect ect. I need to start looking for the cheapest place to buy them now, hopefully locally.

Btw is it worth it to balance these tires because I know it isnt for large bias plys.

Wait - in your other post, didn't you say you were a high school kid without a whole lot of money? Meaning, this will be your only vehicle - and therefore will spend a lot of it's time (% wise) on the road...

Seriously - put the money into armor (sliders, skids, bumpers) instead of all this crap you've been thinking about. That way, you won't be stranded with a busted vehicle from a rock through the oil pan or radiator. When all that is paid off, and you've got more $$$ saved up, do lockers. The women will actually be able to get in your truck and you'll be able to outwheel any of your "friends" with their big tires.

/
Old 01-23-2007, 06:08 PM

I'm locked in the rear already and have no plans to do the front because I dont want to watch my front diff chew itself apart. I'm gonna check out those 35x11's but I've read elsewhere that the 34x10.5 LTB's are actually measurment of 33.6. I dont see how one person could say they are a full 1.5 inch smaller. I think I'm gonna call Interco tomorrow and ask.

As far as running bias plys on the road it doesnt phase me. My friend drives on 38 boggers everyday...

Btw for those Q78's do i need to worry about weight/breakage from tire size?

Last edited by Stomis; 01-23-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:34 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stomis
I'm locked in the rear already and have no plans to do the front because I dont want to watch my front diff chew itself apart. I'm gonna check out those 35x11's but I've read elsewhere that the 34x10.5 LTB's are actually measurment of 33.6. I dont see how one person could say they are a full 1.5 inch smaller. I think I'm gonna call Interco tomorrow and ask.

As far as running bias plys on the road it doesnt phase me. My friend drives on 38 boggers everyday...

Btw for those Q78's do i need to worry about weight/breakage from tire size?
1. I argue that in A LOT of instances a front locker SAVES the CV's and diff by allowing you to better control the wheelspeed.

2. Sounds like what I used to say before I realized how bad radial tires spoil ya. Seriously. I also have the 34x9.50 TSL's. They are slick as snot in the rain, cost about 2MPG in gas mileage, and flatspot in the morning. They don't last 1/2 as long as radials, so you better find some for less than 1/2 the cost of what you're running now. They ride VERY rough.

They are amazing offroad, but not so amazing as to be worth the issues when you drive everyday.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:37 PM

Exclamation

I'm not concerned with the whole bias ply thing but if your right I'll admit it...
What I am concerned with is how one person says they measure in at 32, one says 34 and interco says 33.6. I wanna know which it is before I go ordering tires smaller than what I reall have...
Old 01-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Jim was talking about his personal experience. Others have also said their personal experience. Jim may have had a wierd set, but he's not lying to you.

As you want to beef your front end, consider that these tires are going to degrade your already junk steering worse than normal tires. Not saying anything bad against you, but Toyota didn't come through for us with early IFS on the steering, its awful.

TSL's suck balls on road. Period. If you are cool with that, and with replacing front steering stuff more often, then get what you want.

Consider this though. Just about everyone i know (read 99%) of people, wish they had gone the route that TC did. I put a lift and tires on first. I wish like hell i hadn't. F/R lockers, and armor. Once you have a belly pan, there is very little to stop your double locked truck.

However, in the end, do what you want.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Here's an idea for all of you who have never really seen the 34's with your own eyes. Either, drive to your local 4Wheel Parts and measure one or if you don't have a 4WP locally spend $125 and order one to measure.

Unless the tires grow at least 1" - 2" when on a rim aired up, I don't know how Interco can claim they are a 34".
Old 01-23-2007, 08:49 PM

Ah the internet classic...

You asked a question, now TWO people have expressed PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with the question you ask. Rather than listen, you insist in resorting to internet lore in hopes of disproving their experience.

Bias ply tires suck on road, you are building a road truck. If you don't wheel it enough now to know what you need, it is not spending enough time off road. It would be wise money spent on some 33x10.5 BFG Muds that are tall, easy on steering and DD'able.

Three years down the road when the novelty of this wears off, you will not have broken the bank and will have enjoyed driving it every day since then.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 PM

I just put the very tires you are talking about on my 4runner. 34x10.50x15 LTB's. They ride like total crap on the road until they warm up. They flat spot awful in the cold parked on concrete. Mine measure 33.6 inches aired up and mounted on the truck. I have them mounted on the stock wheels and they do rub at full lock on the inside of the tire. I have been working so much I have not had time to investigate where the rubbing is taking place. My truck is an 89 with a 2 inch 4crawler body lift, ifs with torsion bars set to stock location. I like the way they look on the truck, I have run TSL's before and I know they will hook like mad offroad, but being a bias ply they do suck on the road. If you are going to see very many road miles at all, I would save a little extra cash and buy the radial tire. My truck only sees about 2,000 road miles per year so I opted for the bias for more offroad traction. My .02
Old 01-24-2007, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Jim was talking about his personal experience. Others have also said their personal experience. Jim may have had a wierd set, but he's not lying to you.

As you want to beef your front end, consider that these tires are going to degrade your already junk steering worse than normal tires. Not saying anything bad against you, but Toyota didn't come through for us with early IFS on the steering, its awful.

TSL's suck balls on road. Period. If you are cool with that, and with replacing front steering stuff more often, then get what you want.

Consider this though. Just about everyone i know (read 99%) of people, wish they had gone the route that TC did. I put a lift and tires on first. I wish like hell i hadn't. F/R lockers, and armor. Once you have a belly pan, there is very little to stop your double locked truck.

However, in the end, do what you want.
Well thats the thing I thought that having the skinnier tires would help keep the front from breaking. I'm not sure what route I'm going to go seeing as how i'm not ordering them for some time. My main point is the onroad ride doesnt concern me. If I can get 20,000 miles out of them like the search has said I can I'm fine.

Just to let you guys know I'm not completly disreguarding what your saying... I am browsing at other tires and these 35x10.5 Super swamper SSR' radials just caught my eye. They almost seem like MT/r's with a SuperSwamper spin. Opinions?

Last edited by Stomis; 01-24-2007 at 04:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 34x10.5 r15 LTB's