Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 LT Taco Build-Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2002 LT Taco Build-Up

In the intrest of helping me keep all my work available for others to look at in the future and allow input on my setup, here goes. I'm shooting for a well-behaved on the road wheeling machine that can also take the trails and the dez in style. A manual hub conversion is also going in since I might as well get the manual-hub style T100 CVs since I'll need them anyways.

Donahoe Racing (waiting to hear back from them) if so, coils are included.
Einbach Coils at #500 (maybe #550?)
Total Chaos
Glassworks 3.5" Fenders
Asin Manual Hubs
Tundra CVs w/ Taco manual hub outers
Steering extenders
Limiting straps

Bear in mind that I've only begun to snoop the web for a full parts list but if you feel generous enough to point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Tanto; 06-13-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tanto
In the intrest of helping me keep all my work available for others to look at in the future and allow input on my setup, here goes. I'm shooting for a well-behaved on the road wheeling machine that can also take the trails and the dez in style. A manual hub conversion is also going in since I might as well get the manual-hub style T100 CVs since I'll need them anyways.

Fox 2.0" pro series 12" reservoir coilover shocks - 2 @ $340
Einbach Coils at #550 (maybe #600?)
Total Chaos OR Camburg LT Kit
Glassworks 3.5" Fenders
Asin Manual Hubs
T100 CVs w/manual hub compatibility

Bear in mind that I've only begun to snoop the web for a full parts list but if you feel generous enough to point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Currently, the first thing I'd like some input on is if you think that I should be looking at a 14" shock instead since the TC and Camburg kits only allow 13" travel. Seems like a good deal on those Foxes, though.
Both the camburg and chaos kit should work very well. The main difference is that camburg uses uniballs instead of bushings for the lower control arm mounts, other than that they are very similar.

For shocks both kits use an 8" shock that mounts in the shock bucket. I would get a 2.5" shock. A 2.0 will fade pretty quick when you beat on it.

Both kits use modified tundra axles to retain 4wd.

I would also recomend getting the spindle gusset from total chaos.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone else?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Similiar thread on DezertRangers

It has a lot of details about the Chaos kit and Camburg kit
Old 06-13-2006, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first thing you need to know is that you need Tundra CV's, not T100, that being said, Tundras never came with manual hubs but you can still convert to manual hubs, ORS sells a kit but I think it is just using a Tundra inner and midshaft with the manual HUB tacoma outer and hub assembly.

I am envious of your build, I really wish I had a place out here where I could make good use of a LT kit, I love going fast.

Regarding the coilover length, I am pretty sure that both kits use a 8" travel shock.

Last edited by justinh; 06-13-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

I can get a manual-hub ready Tundra CV from Camburg when i order the LT kit

I had read that 8" shock was the setup recommended for these LT kits, but my question is if they are only recommending 8" travel for 4wd vehicles, but suggest a longer shock for 2wd.

Having a LT system capable of 13" travel and putting an 8" shock in there just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tanto
I can get a manual-hub ready Tundra CV from Camburg when i order the LT kit

I had read that 8" shock was the setup recommended for these LT kits, but my question is if they are only recommending 8" travel for 4wd vehicles, but suggest a longer shock for 2wd.

Having a LT system capable of 13" travel and putting an 8" shock in there just doesn't make sense to me.
The shock is mounted inboard on the control arm, think of a see-saw, the closer to the fulcrum you are the less distance you cover, so at full extension the area closer to the fulcrum is only moving inches yet the outer edge where you sit moves several feet. It is the same principal. The same reason why a 3/8" spacer gives more than 3/8" of lift.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Ryan, check out Milton's truck. I have a sick feeling your truck will one day follow his Give him a quick PM and talk to him and get all of the skinny!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Who's Milton?

EDIT: Pinnacle, in that link you posted a guy was selling a LT TC kit from his Tacoma, so I gave his company a call saying I was interested and am waiting to hear back from them. Fingers crossed for a good deal.

Last edited by Tanto; 06-13-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Cabbage

In the meantime, I'm searching for a photo of his taco
Old 06-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Old 06-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Ah yes. I've seem that rear setup style before from a guy on TTORA. Does wonders for the dunes, but I still want to keep my rig as multi-purpose as possible. Jumping is not something I'm really interested in, just soaking up potholes. Those CV angles look good though

Much appreciated, Lance.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Milton's a good guy. I bet if you go to the Pismo run this year, he'll be out there tearing it up
Old 06-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Cabbage - thanks a lot for all the tips you told me in those PMs

UPDATE!!! I ordered 2.5x8" King coilover shocks w/external resevoir and 550# King coils for $585 each. Jeremy at Weldtec Designs is ordering them for me and I should have them in a little more than a week!

I've decided to go with the Camburg kit because I haven't heard anything bad about it and it's priced lower than TC. That order's gonna be in tomorrow! Limiting straps and steering extenders will add a bit to that. I'm going to go with ADD and put the manual hubs idea on the back burner for now. Last thing is Glassworks 4.5" fenders which will probably be ordered tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Update!

I found a guy in the SD area that is selling his TC setup with the fenders and modified Tundra axles for $3k. Still working out the details with him but looks like I may end up getting it, depending on the condition of everything.

I should be picking up the shocks this week
Old 07-02-2006, 06:20 PM

Hey Ryan,

if you need manual hubs for a Taco. Talk to Jim at Protrux. He knows where to get a bunch and I know he can get them relatively cheap. Just a head's up.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Well, the work is mostly done. Talking to DesertTRD on TTORA worked out really well. Yesterday I picked up my shocks from Jeremy and headed up to Temecula to get my LT put on at the guy's place. Turns out we did have to remove the kit from his taco frame (it's just a frame and a cab anymore) which took a little longer than expected.

We had to make a run to Total Chaos's shop in the middle because one of the steering extensions had seized up and some of the lower bushings needed replaced. The install went pretty smoothly and we got done at 4AM. Then I had to drive an hour and a half to work

I only took a couple pics since we were working pretty fast, but I can't upload them until tomorrow. For a backyard alignment, DesertTRD got the alignent pretty good.

Only thing I have to do now is find out how TC mounts the bumpstops. Right now my truck has no bumpstops for the front and no skid plates, so I'm thinking BudBuilt may be getting a call from me. My stock plates are totally trashed.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool, cant wait to see some pictures.

4AM!! Damn, suprised the guy was amped to stay up that long with ya
Old 07-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Wow Ryan you wasted no time at all. I am looking forward to seeing the truck when you get a chance.

Quick Reply: 2002 LT Taco Build-Up