99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

2000 Tundra, VVT-i swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Tundra, VVT-i swap

Hey to everyone, any ideas if this can be done? Or is it the to hard to do category? sure would like the extra 40 HP and 10lbs of torque. thanks in advance, hope this starts some good conversation. EDH
Old 11-30-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by h7009
Hey to everyone, any ideas if this can be done? Or is it the to hard to do category? sure would like the extra 40 HP and 10lbs of torque. thanks in advance, hope this starts some good conversation. EDH
It would be cheaper to trade in your '00 for an '05 than to do the swap.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sumo99
It would be cheaper to trade in your '00 for an '05 than to do the swap.

Sumo99, hey thanks, so maybe just a set of JBA's and leave it alone. It's not like I'm unhappy, just want more power....
Old 11-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

It's gonna require quite a mess. Yah it can be done, but remember new computer to engage the variable timing of the cam, plus with the price of the head work, new cams, etc,... eh, I say...the good thing is you could probably use the current short block + tranny.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:51 AM

Sumo99, hey thanks, so maybe just a set of JBA's and leave it alone. It's not like I'm unhappy, just want more power....
Hey for about 5K you could add a turbo kit. I know of one company that is making one but I don't know of anyone who has one installed.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sumo99
Hey for about 5K you could add a turbo kit. I know of one company that is making one but I don't know of anyone who has one installed.
Sumo99, nope to the Turbo, not a fan. would sooner do a super charger, but then you have all the extra stuff and premium gas, yuck! I'll probably just do the headers and wait for a 2005, used in the future. EDH
Old 12-02-2004, 06:50 AM

Sumo99, nope to the Turbo, not a fan. would sooner do a super charger, but then you have all the extra stuff and premium gas, yuck! I'll probably just do the headers and wait for a 2005, used in the future. EDH
Yeah, I'm not a fan of having to use premium either, plus the TRD supercharger (the only one available for the Tun) has been pulled from the market.

Aside from headers, you could also get a Unichip. From what I heard from other Tundra owners is that you get some pretty good HP gains. However they are pretty expensive, I think about $850. If you are interested in the actual gains, I can try to find out those numbers.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Guys can I just say something real quick, and this is my opinion. Engineers design these cars/trucks to pull maximum efficiency, in other words they have some of the smartest people in the world working on creating these machines that we expect them to idle smoothely, accelerate upon demand, remain relatively quite, power millions of things (ie, a/c compressor, alternator, power steering, etc.), and all in the mean while be very emission consciencous. They design intake manifold, heads, blocks, gears, and their placement within the vehicle itself to be of maximum efficiency. Some of these aftermarket items do indeed provide performance, but nothing comes as no sacrifice to another. Generally stock with minor upgrades to moving fuel/air mixture out the block at a faster rate are a good approach. When you start using chips that program the computer to more than expected...short term gains may well exceed long term. That's just my opinion. I want my truck to last therefore engine modifications that I see that are more beneficial to what the engineers at toyota did is mainly the header upgrades. Expelled gases have a clearer path to exit from each combustion chamber in the block and not be interfered with others when using headers. That's the only modifiable engine performance I believe is worth doing and will help the engine in longevity. More and more manufactors are actually starting to go the header route too, instead of crossover exhaust manifolds.

Remember, again this is my opinion.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:29 PM

I had the unichip, JBA headers and an underdrive pulley on my old 2003 Tundra. All of it was well worth the money. You could probably do it all for around $1300. I can't remember exact numbers, but I went up about 1 mpg total and my truck was MUCH more responsive. The unichip made the biggest difference. FYI if you go with the unichip, you can skip the headers. Unichip tuning can compensate for a lack of headers. In other words, headers might get you 15HP. Add a unichip to the headers and you'll gain another 15 HP. Or just do the unichip by itself and you can get 30 hp. Make sense? During our unichip group buy the dyno sheets proved it. The unichip can get max results out of the engine w/o headers. However, you can sneak an extra few ponies out of the engine with the U/D pulley since that has more to do with parasitic loss.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mohamed
Guys can I just say something real quick, and this is my opinion. Engineers design these cars/trucks to pull maximum efficiency, in other words they have some of the smartest people in the world working on creating these machines that we expect them to idle smoothely, accelerate upon demand, remain relatively quite, power millions of things (ie, a/c compressor, alternator, power steering, etc.), and all in the mean while be very emission consciencous. They design intake manifold, heads, blocks, gears, and their placement within the vehicle itself to be of maximum efficiency. Some of these aftermarket items do indeed provide performance, but nothing comes as no sacrifice to another. Generally stock with minor upgrades to moving fuel/air mixture out the block at a faster rate are a good approach. When you start using chips that program the computer to more than expected...short term gains may well exceed long term. That's just my opinion. I want my truck to last therefore engine modifications that I see that are more beneficial to what the engineers at toyota did is mainly the header upgrades. Expelled gases have a clearer path to exit from each combustion chamber in the block and not be interfered with others when using headers. That's the only modifiable engine performance I believe is worth doing and will help the engine in longevity. More and more manufactors are actually starting to go the header route too, instead of crossover exhaust manifolds.

Remember, again this is my opinion.

I do agree that engineers do a good job of designing the engine parts, but keep in mind the stock ecu is tuned with emissions and a mix of power and fuel efficiency combined. In other words, the engine is neither as fuel efficient as it could be nor is it making the most power it possibly could. The unichip is used in conjunction with the stock ecu so that in closed loop the engine maintains the best possible 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio. In open loop, the unichip is able to modify the signals coming from the ecu for maximum performance out of the engine. It's the best of both worlds, best possible emissions/fuel efficiecy in closed loop and maximum power in open loop. The thing to keep in mind is that Toyota engineers are not going to leave a 25% gain in power due to bad tuning. However, it has been shown that a 7-10% improvement through out the entire RPM range is normal with a unichip and proper tuning. As far as reducing engine life, the unichip works in conjunction with the stock ECU so you retain all the factory engine protection.

As far the headers, I already explained in a prior post that the unichip can tune for the most power with the stock manifolds. However, it's no secret that the stock Tundra manifolds are prone to leaking. So from a replacement stand point a good set of JBA headers will flow a little better and will not leak like the stock manifolds. That's the only reason why I changed my manifolds to headers. Otherwise, it's better just to leave the manifolds and invest in a Unichip. This topic has been covered extensively at www.tundrasolutions.com if you want to read up.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by zebra1550
I had the unichip, JBA headers and an underdrive pulley on my old 2003 Tundra. All of it was well worth the money. You could probably do it all for around $1300. I can't remember exact numbers, but I went up about 1 mpg total and my truck was MUCH more responsive. The unichip made the biggest difference. FYI if you go with the unichip, you can skip the headers. Unichip tuning can compensate for a lack of headers. In other words, headers might get you 15HP. Add a unichip to the headers and you'll gain another 15 HP. Or just do the unichip by itself and you can get 30 hp. Make sense? During our unichip group buy the dyno sheets proved it. The unichip can get max results out of the engine w/o headers. However, you can sneak an extra few ponies out of the engine with the U/D pulley since that has more to do with parasitic loss.
Zebra1550, hey thanks for the good info. somehow I've missed out on the Unichip, and where do I get an underdrive pulley for the Tundra. I did both to a '95 Tahoe and what a change. any info would be helpful. thanks, EDH

Last edited by h7009; 12-03-2004 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:06 AM

U/D pulley and Unichip info

This will get you to the U/D pulley. It's the same place I bought one for my 2003 Tundra. Go to www.aspracing.com then click on view cart and you will get a blank shopping cart. Enter the part number 331340 and hit GO and the part will come up. The pulley runs $150, and took me about 6 weeks to get. They build each Tundra pulley as they are ordered, so that accounts for the time delay. as far as the unichip, I would contact www.unichip.us . This is the same place a bunch of us on www.tundrasolutions.com did a group buy through. I highly recommend the PnP Unichip for the Tundra. It's very easy to install, not cutting or splicing, and you will see definite gains in performance throughout the entire RPM band. Hope this helps.
Z