Looking For A Mechanic/Fabricator/Shop Put your location in your thread title when making an inquiry

Reputable Mechanic in Vancouver, BC

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reputable Mechanic in Vancouver, BC

Can anyone in the Vancouver area recommend a good Yota mechanic? I've found a great parts source in Nanaimo, but I still need a solid mechanic. Any help would be much appreciated. If it helps, I've got a '91 4Runner V6 3.0L Auto.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Haven't found one, that's why I do my own work. Did you try posting on bc4x4.com, someone there might know.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have my truck serviced regularly at Langley Toyota Town. I have a family member that works there so that helps I guess. Yada yada yada, dealerships suck this, expensive that, blah blah. The bottomline is they have several outstanding techs that work at that dealership and the service department is extremely reputable. I bought my truck off of the service manager there too. Yeah you may pay a little more than if you just have your average mechanic, but you will be getting the right parts and it will be done right and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

Just for your info, one of the master tech's at this dealership who has done a lot of work on my truck is one of the best Toyota tech's in Canada, if not the best, year after year. Toyota Canada has technician competitions and all the tech's accross Canada from dealerships write these tests, and he has won it several times. Usually the fly the winner back to Japan. From what I've heard, this year he couldn't go because he's won it too many times.

Toyota dealerships are a little different flavour in Canada than some of the horror stories you hear from American Toyota dealerships. I'd give LTT a look if I were you. Yeah a bit out of the way but...it's YOUR vehicle too.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Contributing Member

hey coed...

langley toyota huh? I ususally get my regular service done at Jim Patteson in surrey. their oil changes are pretty cheap, plus you get the free car wash! which im sure you get at LTT also...

do you send your truck in for mods as well as usual maintenance/mechanical repairs? I usually have my friend do the mods, but am also looking for a knowledged tech when it comes to more advanced stuff...you think theyd be good for getting sliders installed? body lifts etc etc? or should i stick with a more off road oriented shop ala NSOR, or whatever?

anyway...thanks for the heads up on LTT. flyans, sorry no recommendation on a mech...my friend who does my work hates turning wrenches, 'cept for our 4Runners. I second the notion on trying bc4x4.com, or asking one of the off road specialty shops. NSOR or sport trucks unlimited might know of some decent toy techs...
Old 12-12-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DD,
My truck is mostly stock, aside from the mods listed below in my sig. I think my truck, from a stock point of view, is tastefully modded to date as I like the way these trucks look stock and I don't play with fire as much as some of you do (not that playing with fire is a bad thing, I just choose not to play with it as much). Most of the mechanics at LTT will tell you and swear by the fact that that if you leave the engine alone and not mod the crap out of it, but just do regular maintenance, it will run forever. And they've seen their share of 3.0's and other Toyota truck engines and I've seen lots of 2nd gen runners and 3rd gen trucks come in while I am in there and many of them have in the realm of 200,000 miles or more, and the like, dealership serviced, and they all appear in great shape, so I 'd think they'd know a thing or two. That's why the only engine mod I have planned on the 3.0 is a full exhaust system which I think I'll wait to do when I do a rebuild somewhere in the next few years. If you're looking for maintenance and the proper parts going to a dealership is in my opinion, as long as you trust them and know they are reputable, a good way to go. Yeah it costs a little more sometimes, but you're getting the good and proper stuff. Yeah there are horror stories, but I'm sure there are way more horror stories from sketchy mechanics and places outside of dealerships than at dealerships that when you add up the costs to go out and get it done right, you might as well have done it at a reputable dealership in the first place.

AS far as suspension work well if you're looking for hardcore suspension mods I suggest looking at Sport Trucks unlimited. Bobbi who I believe is the manager there can get you just about any part you need (I got my Bilstein shocks through her - she gave me a very competitive price, and she quoted me 2-3 weeks for delivery and had them in a week and a half) and they have descent shop rates (I think $72/hour). I myself have my suspension (again mostly stock save for the idler arm brace and the Bilstein shocks) work done at Dales alignment, which is also where LTT outsources a good chunk of their vehicles for any sort of suspension/alignment work. Dale, the owner of Dale's alignment owns a 92 Toyota truck (4wd, V6, ext'd cab, Red I believe) that is in awesome condition, and he also owns an '05 Taco double cab too. Dale's alignment, is an extremely reputable, honest shop and Dale, Jason, and Daryl there are great honest guys. Since I don't do major mods they are good enough for my taste as far as offroading and the like goes. Another shop worth mentioning for offroa suspension work, a little more costly I've heard (supposedly) but they also do great work is T & S suspension. They replaced the leaf springs on my truck with an add a leaf on the back when the previous owner had my truck set up for a camper and they did a great job. No squeaks, or issues, and my truck rides perfectly level unlike 80% of the other 3rd gen trucks I see with saggy rears.

The owner of Cap-it Langley, Hans, used to work for Toyota for years and years and so he knows a thing or two about Toyota trucks. I think he may also have a contact for a good independant Toyota mechanic. I have bought most of the accessories for my truck (bug deflector, roof racks, bedliner, canopy, etc.) from him. Great prices and service.

Generally speaking Langley is a good place to be if you own a Toyota., maintain the engine, and do suspension/offroad mods or upkeep.

Also, speaking of Pattison in Surrey vs. LTT, the rumour I constantly hear is that everyone buys their Toyota's at Pattison and then has them serviced at LTT. But you didn't hear that for me. Or maybe you did?

I thought a car wash wasn't a perk, but just a normal part of the service?

Last edited by CoedNaked; 12-12-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Wink

yeah, i fully agree with you on the dealership. (pretty sure) my truck is still under 3rd party warranty, and its only got 150k on it, so hopefully i wont need them for any major work anytime soon. Indeed proper maintenance will get you a long way, my friends 2nd gen runner is almost pushin 400k, and the motor still pulls strong, although there are minor rust spots, but thats expected.

I actually got my suspension from bobbi @ sport trucks. great gal, and they do have very competitive prices...

I'll definitely keep the shops you listed in mind, as most probably the farthest ill be goin to playin with the fire is going to be body armour and a winch.

peace

Ya LTT is where ill be takin my ride from now on. I had body work done by them...and it was definitely not the greatest...aah well. live n learn.