Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Yuck, not a fun find. Hey, no rust there, though.

Good luck on the electrical, it seems like it could be so simple and yet it is way not. My Achilles heel though really it shouldn't be.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pretty confident I figured out my battery draw, after doing some testing I'm fairly sure it is my power inverter, it has not been working so there is a good chance it's shorted out.
I have been working on getting my wiring cleaned up and some of it properly routed.
And then there is this
Attached Thumbnails jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"-photo312.jpg   jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"-photo810.jpg  

Last edited by jason in tn; 03-10-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:59 PM

So I Started the OBA set up, it's going pretty smooth, picked up most of the fittings and line I needed to get things plumbed missed a few that will hold me up a little but I got as much done as I could.
I put together a box/mount for the switch and the air chuck.
Pretty happy with how it's coming together so far.

Name:  3D91F768-2F7D-4473-A96E-57BAF7ABBF26_zpsjcafstwh.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  222.3 KB

Name:  FC63B4F1-29A1-4514-BA4C-AB8F4452C5FE_zps6wzyxpzz.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  234.7 KB

Name:  832CF8F9-1D0F-47FD-9CBA-23A9730E95C4_zpsezeqxwaa.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  228.3 KB

Name:  E8FB1A86-0FD0-4976-B6C0-4FC0506EF4E7_zps7c0mzl6g.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  212.6 KB

Hopefully get the wiring buttoned up before I head back to work.
Thanks for checking in.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Oh nice oba setup Jason. Love the podcasts too. You and Rich make a great team.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Oh nice oba setup Jason. Love the podcasts too. You and Rich make a great team.
Thank you, and thank you lol. I will be sure and pass the kind words on.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh the Envy! i want one of those air compressors!
Old 03-14-2017, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Oh the Envy! i want one of those air compressors!
Well give my buddy Steve at Southeast Overland a shout he would be happy to set you up with one lol.
They get great reviews, I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I like how you have the air tank tucked up nicely and well protected.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Looks really good Jason, OBA sure comes in handy for stuff, like blowing the dust out of the air filter or filling the camp mattresses. Oh, and maybe for tires, too. Lawn mower tires, bike tires, wheel barrow tires. Sometimes even truck tires.

You and Rich really do make a great team on the Toyota Trucks and Trails podcast. Thoroughly enjoyed #30....tired Rich is funny. You guys are fun to listen to.

Non-Toyota related dumb cager question regarding the big rigs- if you want to let one know they've got room to move into the passing lane in front of you what's the best way day and/or night? Super-quick flash of the hi-beams appreciated or ?? Dumb DRLs are messing me up.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jason in tn
Well give my buddy Steve at Southeast Overland a shout he would be happy to set you up with one lol.
They get great reviews, I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
They work Fantastic! Chefyota4x4 has it on his rig and i have used it quite a few times when we offroad together. I like it alot but his isnt ARB it is all Viair
Old 03-23-2017, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
Looks really good Jason, OBA sure comes in handy for stuff, like blowing the dust out of the air filter or filling the camp mattresses. Oh, and maybe for tires, too. Lawn mower tires, bike tires, wheel barrow tires. Sometimes even truck tires.

You and Rich really do make a great team on the Toyota Trucks and Trails podcast. Thoroughly enjoyed #30....tired Rich is funny. You guys are fun to listen to.

Non-Toyota related dumb cager question regarding the big rigs- if you want to let one know they've got room to move into the passing lane in front of you what's the best way day and/or night? Super-quick flash of the hi-beams appreciated or ?? Dumb DRLs are messing me up.
Hey Hab, I'm looking forward to having my own air source, I'm sure the guys I wheel with are looking forward to it as well so I quit using there's.
I told Rich you thought he was funny tired, and he is now required to run around his block at least once before we record, as we aim to please.
And for a question I actually know something about. As a general rule, flashing high beams during the day is fine, at night the acknowledgment is appreciated, but that blast of bright light while we are already focused on the mirror can kinda shock the eyes, most of us would prefer just a brief cancel of the head lights, but thanks for being in the minority that cares
Old 03-23-2017, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Hey Hab, I'm looking forward to having my own air source, I'm sure the guys I wheel with are looking forward to it as well so I quit using there's.
I told Rich you thought he was funny tired, and he is now required to run around his block at least once before we record, as we aim to please.
And for a question I actually know something about. As a general rule, flashing high beams during the day is fine, at night the acknowledgment is appreciated, but that blast of bright light while we are already focused on the mirror can kinda shock the eyes, most of us would prefer just a brief cancel of the head lights, but thanks for being in the minority that cares
Ha! Tell Rich I'll know because he should be a little out of breath! Not tired Rich is funny too, like that friendly little dig at the Land Rover guys, hilarity.

In my 96 that's generally how I do it so thanks for the confirmation on that because I wasn't sure it was correct.

It was while driving the 03 Jetta with DRLs that the question on what to do came up. The headlights on the Jetta won't turn off or dim, hitting the switch only turns off the rear lights. I was trying to do a split-second high beam to let them know they were clear only if they needed to come over but were playing it safe. I didn't want to blind them or have them miss out on a good chance to pass. It's pretty obvious when you guys are going to need to come over and I try to accommodate. Passing lane is for passing, if the lane is clear to move over then it's good. I may be about to pass but don't mind reducing speed so they can pass too. It seems most of the big rigs are more courteous than a lot of other drivers and are just doing their jobs while doing their best not to flatten us, they -you- deserve our respect.

Anyway- off the soapbox. Thanks for the answer!
Old 03-24-2017, 05:49 AM

Hey Hab. At the end of the day if you are cutting us any slack to change lanes it's appreciated, whether you signal us in some way or not, it's honestly gotten where other trucks don't show a lot of respect. Thank you for being a courteous and safe driver, I wish there were more people like you on the road.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Oh sure, now I'm just embarrassed and very imperfect. I'll bet the superfast entitleds that come up on me letting a truck in wish there were a lot less people like me on the road!

How's that air coming along? You've reminded me I need to open the drain valve again. A little anti-seize on those threads has been useful...
Old 03-24-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
Oh sure, now I'm just embarrassed and very imperfect. I'll bet the superfast entitleds that come up on me letting a truck in wish there were a lot less people like me on the road!

How's that air coming along? You've reminded me I need to open the drain valve again. A little anti-seize on those threads has been useful...
Those same people wish there were a lot less of me on the road to.
I have to make make time to get back to it on the OBA, a few other projects tied into are holding me up a little.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:02 PM

Well the runner is headed off to the shop tomorrow, a buddy of mine is going to do the valve cover gaskets and straighten up the front end for me.
Before I'm with out it for a couple weeks I decided to move forward with a project or 2 that doesn't actually require the truck. I pulled the storage box in the rear and I will be coating it with something, maybe roll on bed liner or something similar.
Also have been trying to figure out a a solution to another problem and keep it budget friendly. I will be competing in a time-distance rally in June and need to figure out a way to carry a little extra fuel, a new bumper is in the plans but for now I'm going to try and change up what I have.jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"-photo464.jpgjason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"-photo653.jpg
Got busy with a cutoff wheel to make room for something different.
Stay tuned
Old 03-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

????
(intriqued)

You know I carry gas up top on vacations, and use one of those shaker valve siphons so I don't have to remove the cans to fill. Dunno how that would help you, but there you go.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:01 AM

I've considered that Hab, I'm afraid of knocking the cans off the roof it tight trees etc, may not be an issue but it's a concern for me.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I can see that. Maybe one day I'll get rotopax, they came out with a cheaper version I think, but that may not be realistic for those desert adventures. That way they'd sit flat in the roof basket. Have also thought of putting rotopax down by the air tank between the frame rails but yeah, that seems wrong somehow. Having a skid plate there to protect would make getting to the fuel a slower process. Five gallons of gas is what, 40#? Plus carrier? Wonder how CBI boxes are working on those swing outs with all that bouncing around?
I think I know what you've got in mind....can't wait to see what awesome thing you actually think up.

Also, still waiting for front bumper pictures.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:24 AM

jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"-photo814.jpg
A little progress on the new rear bumper project.

Hab I would love to be posting pictures of the new front bumper, I'm starting to get just a little frustrated with that situation 😢

Quick Reply: jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"