Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

aa1911's Taco OME suspension install/upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may have to pull the dust cap and dust seal off the old ones and move them to the new ones. Did you go through 1st or another source for the remans?

My 95.5 Tacoma was 35mm.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, reading 4crawler's write up and a couple others, there are a few pieces to transfer from the OE's to the new ones.

I did go thru 1st/Titus Will, total cost for 2 complete assemblies is right at $300, pretty good I think. OEM quality axles for about 1/3 the price. new ones run almost $400 a side, ouch.

Still waiting on them, have not arrived yet. hopefully will be done with these this weekend if parts show up this week. Need to take some pics and post up also.

the one torn boot is not too bad really (other than lack of grease now) as it just separated from the compression ring on the small end so there's not much space for dirt and water to get in. needs to be addressed though.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 PM

both sides torn now, crap! grease everywhere....

so, have not heard anything from 1sttoyotaparts so I'm guessing they're waiting for my cores. I was understanding I was getting new ones with a trade in core for money, not sending mine off to be rebuilt.

Will have to call and re-clarify this tomorrow, want to get this fixed before they get destroyed.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Seems you would get the remans to install before they want the cores back and then refund the core charge. Something seems wonky for sure.

Will you post up the UOA results? Mine are in Rock's UOA thread for comparison as are a few others.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 AM

will do! sent off the oil sample yesterday.

I looked back thru my emails and I guess the axles have been ready for pickup since 19 may, jeez... the email title said 'order has been accepted', not 'your order is ready for pickup' like the last two.... oops, pays to ready the WHOLE email, haa!

They tricked me... but I still love 'em

I plan on picking them up tomorrow and then doing the install sunday, then drop off my old cores this week for my $150 back.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Haha, I've done the same skimming thru email titles or even the email and miss a key piece of info. Yup, I love 'em too...1st have never let me down.

You'll have UOA results by mid next week if you gave them your email addy.

Last edited by rworegon; 06-15-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Done yet??? steelies are running now so you better hurry up!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:27 PM

na, saturday is a buddy's wedding and sunday will (hopefully) be CV install. back to work monday, rrr...

where's the steelhead running now? up north your way? need to hook at least one this season...

Hopefully the UOA will be timely, I did provide my email address to them along with a credit card number to speed things along.

Will post up the axle project this week
Old 06-17-2012, 04:55 PM

OK, decided to tackle the CV axles today, or at least get one done; didn't start until after 3 but hoped to drive it to work tomorrow so I figured I could get at least one side done.

Pulled her all apart, went super smooth; hardest part was the stupid dust cap on the hub, took 3 men and a horse to pry loose. the hub nut came off on the first pull of my torque wrench, wasn't stuck on that bad at all. had the wife stand on the brakes to hold it.

After moving all the brake stuff and steering knuckle and disconnecting the sway bar ends, I pulled the axle and to my horror, the wrong part sat before me.... it's the free wheel hub/non free wheel hub mix up I guess...

Funny thing is, I think I ordered the correct one (and my VIN number is in the system 'for better accuracy...') but they 'corrected' me and said I needed this one. Well, mine has threads on the end and a bigger spline shaft with splines in a different spot. hmmmmmmmm.... looks like I get to drive around with bum CV's for a bit yet, crap.

so check this out, huh, something different here?

Old 06-17-2012, 04:58 PM

the new ones look nice but they'd be even nicer if they worked. I thought I was stupid or something looking at the two, pouring thru the haynes and chilton and 4x4wire's writeup. The axles they show look like the new ones I got.

Am I missing something here or did I really get the wrong part?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:07 PM

I guess the ones I have are manual hub axles....

I toyed with doing a hub conversion but money is kinda tight for that right now
Old 06-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Bummer for sure. Yup, those they gave you are the manual hub ones.
You need 43430-04020-84 for the ADD.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:30 PM

cool, thanks for the part # ! will have to look back thru my email traffic and see what the first part number was on my orginal order. I'll bet it matches the one you just posted!

oh well, can't beat the price for OE's though, I still love 1stTP's... as long as they don't give me any static taking back the ones they gave me.

I could do a manual hub conversion (I really want to) but just not on the financial horizon at the moment.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 AM

OK, looks like I will be good to hook; called 1stTP and all is well; they have some in a nearby warehouse that will be in tomorrow, woo hoo!

We checked part#'s and sure enough I had orginally ordered the correct ones, some hiccup with the vin cross check. Going to yoink my cores off the truck (again) and bring those along with the manual remans back and get my new ones tomorrow, oh yeah.

43430-04020-84 is ADD/free hub (84 designates a reman) and

43430-04010-84 is manual hub reman for anyone's future quick reference.

Now that I know what each looks like first hand, I won't have this problem again.

Thanks again rworegon!

Will post up pics of my new axles this week, hopefully the pass side hub nut is as easy to knock loose as the driver side was. They are both normal threads so will see if that makes any difference with the rotation direction vs. thread direction. My torque wrench is pretty hefty though too; 50-250 ft/lb, about 2.5' long
Old 06-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

I had no problem getting those nuts loose using a 1/2" breaker bar on the socket and just using a stick to hold the brake pedal down tight with the truck running. Did it by myself. I'm not one for using the torque wrench to break things loose.

Yup, kinda handy having the warehouse in Portland. My orders to 1st go from Portland
to Tacoma, back through Portland on their way east up I-84.

Great idea to take the cores back with you...they will put them in the box the remans came in so take another box with you to corral the new axles.

Last edited by rworegon; 06-18-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 PM

yup, sure thing; found a couple boxes to put the cores in, just finished yoinking those off the truck. She's fairly cleaned up and ready for new axles, going to pick them up tomorrow afternoon and then do the install when I get home. Hopin' to be rollin' again by wed...

pass side hub nut came loose super easy also, didn't take very much at all; the dust cover was much easier on that side too.

In with two sets, out with one, total cost should be about $250-300 max after core refund. Pretty darn good for OE axle assemblies I think!

Kinda wish I had ordered ball joints too, the boots on those are starting to show their age, another day though... I'll be a pro at this front end junk before ya know it. I will do ball joints before hunting season.

Eyeballing my calipers, got a can of caliper paint sitting on the shelf, kinda want to do the calipers, hmmmm.... Think I will just throw the CV's in and refill the diff for now.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 AM

allrighty.... mission complete.

picked up the new axles yesterday and passed off the incorrect ones along with my cores and got my $150 back. Total cost was $250 even for both reman axles, pretty good I think.

Cleaned the gaskets that were left in the hubs and either side of the diff and put grease on everything. Greased the seals and snap ring on the axles and put 'em in, couple whacks with a rubber hammer seated them perfect.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 AM

Wiped most of the grease off of each side and refilled the front diff with some mobile 1 synthetic I had leftover along with some lucas hd stabilizer. GL-5 75w-90 for front diff, I did find a can of amsoil to put in there later.

Ran it to work today and she's runnin' smooth with no issues.

Seriously, the hardest part of this job was the anti-sway bar ends; even loosening the bushings, the ends are about 1/8" too short on threads to get the nut started. Lots of cursing, hammering, crowbar, and C-clamps, finally got both back on. (energy suspension bushings, the stock are smaller I suspect). Need to get some quick disconnects or find a new method.

Torqued the hub nuts to the 175 ft/lbs, made sure to use plenty o' blue loctite on the lower ball joint bolts and torqued to roughly 50-60 lbs. Hopefully the reman axles won't spit grease or rip too soon, time will tell.

ahh, the correct ones....

and here's a shot to show the final CV angle with my suspension lift and diff drop along with the 32's

Old 06-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Nice! It's interesting that they take the green paint off the shaft and put the sticker on to differentiate between original/new and reman.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:36 PM

I know, I noticed the same thing; I think the remans look much better, or at least until the sticker fades or falls off...

Quick Reply: aa1911's Taco OME suspension install/upgrade