Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wrecked my 4Runner, what to do now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a lot of damage. Your insurance *should* pay for the interior also. Personally, I'd want it totaled and not repaired.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, don't settle for halfa$$ work...especially when you have as much stuff needing to be fixed, it could become a safety hazard. Get as much as you can and try to do some of the work yourself.

I'm only 17 and I have a 4Runner...all paid for by myself except for a few christmas and birthday presents and such.

Fink
Old 01-13-2005, 06:52 PM

Yup, I want it totalled also. BUT, its a great-looking rig in Anthracite with the black flares and 16" wheels. What I want to happen is my truck be repaired to Excellent condition and State Farm just pay the bill, no BS. Obviously, this wont happen, but taken into account all of the damage plus the ˟˟˟˟˟˟ed up rear axle and that random fluid leak it maybe could be totalled. I just wish this were all just a dream, as all of those planned mods are down the drain!
Old 01-13-2005, 06:57 PM

wow, thats alot of damage. Yeah if it were me, I'd want it totalled. Hopefully since they are fixing it you can get it done up nice and have it as good as it was...I know bit of a pipe dream but somebody has to stay optimistic
Old 01-13-2005, 07:43 PM
lee
Contributing Member

wow, total that thing for sure. my buddy lost control on a turn and hit a parked car... the damage to his car was like 1/6th of yours and he got it totaled.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:22 AM

Update

The 4Runner was declared totalled by State Farm. The damages were estimated at $10,000 and the value was around $10,800. I have no idea of where the truck will go, maybe a boneyard or maybe repaired? I don't know, but I will sure miss it!

Part of the problem is that I wasn't driving. I was teaching a girl how to drive better, and she ended up taking it straight into the trees. I had just wanted to see what yall thought about the damage, but now the worry is over the insurance. The good part is that it was on my private school's property, so we are not in violation of any laws that I know of. But I am 18 and she is not legally able to drive with me, but since it was private property maybe this does not apply?

I have a $1000 collision deductable, but not sure if State Farm will cover it. My dad, who the policy is under, has a meeting at 10 am tomorrow with State Farm on whether they will cover it. I'm not sure, but its really scary now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

When a vehicle is totalled, do they cut me a check for the KBB or Nada PPV? Or is it different than that? When does this happen?

Sorry for the misconception, but this last week has been a really scary one!
You Guys Rock!

Last edited by Georgia4Runner; 01-18-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
why were you in 4hi again? if its just a gravel road you didnt need to be in 4wd....
Old 01-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he also said that he was driving in the original post as well. now he says that it was some underage chick.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ToferUOP
why were you in 4hi again? if its just a gravel road you didnt need to be in 4wd....
Because it wasn't me driving. It was the 15 year girl; and just as I was telling her to slow down so I could explain what to do on washboard, the tail flung out and she dramatically overcorrected and spun it into the bush and into that tree. 4wd may have been detrimental in that case, but trust me, she would have wrecked Ivan Stewart's Tundra!
Old 01-18-2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
he also said that he was driving in the original post as well. now he says that it was some underage chick.

Yup, I'm sorry for doing that. I really am. But what I wanted to see in the original post was to see how bad the damage was to yall, not get flamed.

But I can understand hateful feelings to me now, but its a bad situation. I hope I get a settlement and not have to be driving in an '86 for a few years and be out $8000! See what I mean?

I'm really sorry guys, please forgive me!
Old 01-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Banned

as long as you don't change your story to the insurance company - when you do that, it's called insurance fraud.

since she's not legal to be driving it in the first place, you might have a problem, but since it was on private property, then technically there is no "legal" driving age unless there's a clause in your policy that expressly forbids operation of motor vehicles by non-licnesed drivers even on private property. if that clause is there and is enforced, then you may be screwed.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:51 AM

as long as you don't change your story to the insurance company - when you do that, it's called insurance fraud.

since she's not legal to be driving it in the first place, you might have a problem, but since it was on private property, then technically there is no "legal" driving age unless there's a clause in your policy that expressly forbids operation of motor vehicles by non-licnesed drivers even on private property. if that clause is there and is enforced, then you may be screwed.

That's where we may have a problem, that at boarding school prohibits boarders driving each other's cars. But the school has not talked with State Farm and has no desire to. It is uninvolved.

I don't know what my policy states, that is a really good question. There was a guy on Autopia who said this in response to my truthful post there:

Welcome to Insurance 101

Georgia:
I worked as an insurance adjuster for ten years. Insurance is not federally mandated - meaning every state has it's own insurance laws - but - from what you've said, your collision coverage would pay for the damage to the truck. I'd give State Farm a call - get the claim number to the incident and the adjusters name if you don't already have it. Then ask them if Capitol Toyota is one of their guaranteed repair shops. I'm sure it is if they chose it. If it is, they will most likley guarantee the shops work for as long as you own the vehicle - as Jimmy said. You'll have to suck up the deductible at this point. No way around that - unless her parents are partiularly generous with thier check book!

After State Farm resolves your claim, they will more than likely Subrogate (go after) her parents home owners insurance for reimbusement of what they paid out on your truck. They may also look to recover your deductible for you. So, you might get it back in the long run. Ask your State Farm adj if this is something that they do in your state.

Her parents auto ins wouldn't cover it because since she's underage, she's an unlisted driver on her parents auto policy. Even if she was listed, auto insurance follows the vehicle not the driver - in most states - so your insurance would be primary (pay first).

It sucks - no doubt about it. But in the long run, no one was hurt - that's the main thing.

Good Luck!!

Class Dismissed.

Dan
State Farm has been told only the complete truth to avoid insurance fraud. Now I'm wondering what I can get for the wrecked '98.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

man, i thought mine was bad. sorry man
Old 01-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Banned

They'll probally take the $10,800 you paid, then subtract out a deduction for the milage that you've put on it and then just cut you a check - minus your $1000 deductable. That will put you in the $9600-$9800 range for the check. Since it's "new" to the policy, they'll probally just pay the full $9800.

BTW: I doubt you would have been flamed here for just telling the truth the first time...
Old 01-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

tell state farm that I'll give them $500 for it after it's totalled... it would be a good start for a trail rig.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:40 PM

tell state farm that I'll give them $500 for it after it's totalled... it would be a good start for a trail rig.
Heheh, I'm not going to say I didn't think about it... You could swap in a new E-locker rear axle (it was bent) and take off the doors, a bit of trimming here and there... voila! 83,000 miles, well-taken care of 4Runner.

My friends are wondering how I haven't turned gay after a woman wrecked my beloved Runner. I tell them that I have defied the impossible!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Dude, what were you doing with a 15 year old anyways?
Old 01-18-2005, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 92' 4Runner SR5
Dude, what were you doing with a 15 year old anyways?
LMAO
I knew someone was going to ask that! I'm 18 and I know that it's statutory, but she's definitely the hottest one in the sophomore class and also has a personality. So in my book she's a winner. Until she wrecked my 4Runner. Now we are just friends!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:49 PM

good luck, my wife is with state farm and last year she totalled her friends accord. the owner's policy picked it up since the owner was riding in the car with my wife and thus "gave" her permission to operate the vehicle. my wife got lucky, no ticket and nothing on her insurance either.

you on the other hand are the exact opposite of my wife and in my opinion you will be really lucky if they cover it with a 15 year old behind the wheel, you may be lucky though depending on state laws and whether or not she has a permit. in some states you would be ok driving with her since you are 18 and if she has a permit she better be on her parent's insurance.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

I'll take it for $501

Quick Reply: Wrecked my 4Runner, what to do now?