Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Windshield chip repair---anyone had it done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 11:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Windshield chip repair---anyone had it done?

Guys,

I have a stone chip that seems to be growing lately. Has anyone taken their 4runner for this type of repair? Is it as seemless and invisible as they claim? Also, how much did you pay?

I wouldn't mind leaving it as is, but as I said, I believe its growing.

Bob
Old 11-14-2002, 11:35 PM
ts1
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had 3 repaired on my Runner. They are all small and I am doing everything I can NOT to replace the winshield because I don't want any leaking seals. The only thing the repair does is give peace of mind because you know the crack or chip won't spread. However, you can see the repair. It is almost impossible to hide the chip. It will look better but will not be invisible. Check with your insurance company but most of them will repair for free if you choose the repair option. I do not have to pay a deductible for rock chip repair. I hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:41 PM

i had the windshield replaced a few weeks ago and the seal was good...nothing bad so far..as far as patching goes, i heard it's like 50 bucks and your insurance may cover it..although my uncle got his chip fixed, it craked on it's own about a week later into a HUGE crack..so he ended up replacing it...my windshield was 200 bucks...good price i think...it's a PPG windshield....
Old 11-15-2002, 03:48 AM

I repaired mine myself. I got the kit at Wal-Mart for like $6. It has a syringe, suction cup and epoxy mix. It is very easy to do. You have to work on it on and off for an hour or more then leave fixture on overnight. I had a bulleyes chip and a small crack. The bulleyes chip became almost invisible. You really have to look to find it. The crack didn't work as good but this stuff isn't really for cracks.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:28 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Windshield chip repair---anyone had it done?

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Guys,

I have a stone chip that seems to be growing lately. Has anyone taken their 4runner for this type of repair? Is it as seemless and invisible as they claim? Also, how much did you pay?

I wouldn't mind leaving it as is, but as I said, I believe its growing.

Bob
I have had every rock chip repaired. The largest was about 1.5in in diameter on my old Ranger. I had it repaired and it wasn't noticeable. Than again I have had some really small chips that were noticeable. I think that it has to do with who does the repair.
But yes you should have it done.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:43 PM

Bob, I don't know how your state is, but in mine, there can't be anything chipped on the windshield and not repaired to pass inspection. Each one must be professionally repaired. What they do it put a "glob" of glass in the whole and put a UV light on it so it melts and fills the hole. Looks good and works. Now your crack won't spider. I would check around and see who is a reputable repairer?..lol... My parents had a BIG problem with a company that thought they were good and were not. We went to a company and they did very well. Check around, but definitely get it fixed. :fireman:
Old 11-15-2002, 06:17 PM

Hey Bob,
I just had my rock chip done today by Novus. If you have insurance than its covered.
This is my fourth rockchip since 97. Insurance companies would rather pay the 50 dollars for rockchip repair than the cost of a new windshield.
In my case my insurance company advised that they were unable to give me a reference number to get the repair done due to there database being down. The Novus dude called them back immediately and advised not to give the song and dance routine. Seconds later he was given the reference number.
The guy at Novus advised that over 90% of their rockchip repair business is paid from car insurance companies.
You might want to give it a try.

Last edited by smr4runner; 11-15-2002 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

In my great state we have LOTS of rocks bent on breaking windshields. Chip repair works well and is not expensive. Some companies will give you a better rate after the third chip repair. I've replaced two windshields and never had any problem with leaking seals.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:36 PM

Windshield Chip

I had mine done last year. It worked okay, but you could still "see" where the repair was done. It is not quite as good as no chip, though. I ended up getting a new windshield though later. The windshield was like $500.00 with a $100.00 rebate from Olympic Auto Glass. I paid for it since my deductible is $500 anyway. The silicone that they used as a replacement gasket works just fine though it is ugly to look at.