Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What is the price on Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by heliax
There are a half dozen or so folks yanking their s/c off from the TTORA boards right now.
I guess we found the answer to why this thread was created...

The cheapest S/C prices are on the TTORA board.

Dan
Old 07-02-2003, 03:26 AM
Contributing Member

hey Dan, Do you suppose I can pick one up cheap on TTORA for my v8?
Seriously, have you guys heard of any problems with the 4.7 L and the S/C?
Old 07-02-2003, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
Lightnings are fast now..but I'd be expecting major repairs well within the 100k mile window.
It's a FORD so you are making quite a prediction because more than likely it won't last past 80k or will be traded by then. If it does make it past 80k it will be rattling a whole lot, as all fords do about 30 feet after the mileage waranty runs out.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 02Runner
hey Dan, Do you suppose I can pick one up cheap on TTORA for my v8?
Seriously, have you guys heard of any problems with the 4.7 L and the S/C?
I would talk to the Tundra guys about that 4.7 S/C. I think they have had it for a couple of years now.

Dan
Old 07-02-2003, 09:42 AM

Hmmm, interesting conversation, but I think we need to answer his question. Try http://www.partznet.com/toyota/tacoma/supercharger.html or http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/e_catalog/ or you can look at ebay, there are a few out there now. I purchased mine used off a contact from the Tacoma Territory board. The going price seems to be aroung $2,500.

By the way, I am VERY happy with my decision to supercharge!
Old 07-02-2003, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by tomstin
Hmmm, interesting conversation, but I think we need to answer his question.
the question had been answered by 96runner in the 3rd post of this thread.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:02 PM
TOR

SC

I would like to start out by saying my comments in this thread are from a consumer's point of view and not a distributor. Furthermore, I completely understand that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion in this wonderful nation we live in.

Now, to those that knock the SC what are you people smoking!!!? I understand it has some issues but name me one single performance mod that will both bolt on with no major modifications, go along with your vehicles' powertrain warranty, and increase your HP by almost 100 hp. Not to mention one that doesn't have issues after extended use, come on now. I think we are asking a little much on some of these issues and being a little too picky as well. I do agree that TRD should have an "i" right in between the T and the R in their name but I still think the SC is a great mod. I am one proud and happy owner of the 1st gen SC and that is after $700 for a rebuild on mine. We all know that once you start modding your vehicle there is no going back unless you sell it and start over stock. This is just my personal opinion and not meant towards any one individual, just the ones that don't agree with me (HA!). I feel better now!

Todd

Old 07-02-2003, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Re: SC

Originally posted by TOR
name me one single performance mod that will both bolt on with no major modifications, go along with your vehicles' powertrain warranty, and increase your HP by almost 100 hp
The Helix Power Tower?
Old 07-02-2003, 01:12 PM
TOR

Helix Power Tower

ROTFLMAO! That was a good one!

Todd

Old 07-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: SC

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
The Helix Power Tower?
yuo only got 100 hp out of yours? I took my screw driver and gouged out an extra little chunk of metal from it's ID and eaked out another 49.758 hp!! That of course is dyno proven, but my dog ate the dyno results so I can't share them.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:18 PM
TOR

Helix Power Tower

That thing is worth as much as your dyno results after your dog recycles them!

Todd
Old 07-02-2003, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Shhh, dont say anything by somebody is selling one in the for sale section here at Yotatech (its not me).

I thought about selling mine on ebay, but ebay wont allow you to sell animal poop on there. Sorry Todd, no group buy.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 07-02-2003 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:31 PM
TOR

HELIX

Damn, I was really hoping to get a group buy on that so I could sell them at the shop.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by <96 Runner>
The Helix Power Tower?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the billet trd oil cap is good for 40hp at the wheels, i think?
Old 07-03-2003, 05:04 AM
TOR

Billet oil cap

No man, I heard that if you torque it down really good you can squeeze at least 3 more hps out of her!

Old 07-03-2003, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Billet oil cap

Originally posted by TOR
No man, I heard that if you torque it down really good you can squeeze at least 3 more hps out of her!

That works with all the filler plugs too. I usually torque them to about 150-160 ft-lbs and I notice a big improvement not only in hp increase but also in gas mileage. I also add about a cup and a half of sugar to the gas tank every 3 tanks or so, this gives me a "sweet" ride.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:30 AM

Talking Toyota 4Runner Limited w/3.4L S/C

I purchased a 1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4 with all the bells and whistles and the S/C was definitell whistling.

Anyone with the supercharger knows what I mean.

I am a lead foot (which my wife can atest to) and I haven't heard the slightest little hiccup let alone a ping from my supercharger.

I have the old supercharger (not sure which generation is it but it works great!)

Not sure about how much boost I'm getting but I get it.

I've put all synthetic fluids in the differentials and engine and put a TRD Performance Air filter in the Air box. (Note: I originally bought a K&N but didn't like their little spacer so I sent it back).

Anyhow I'm not sure if the fuel pressure regulator or the injectors have been upgrated but I know there's no additional FMS or ingition system on it.

I'm currently saving up to have Level 10 upgrade my automatic transmission valving.

I can only say WOW!!!! NOw if I could only get one for my 3.0 VZE 4Runner.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ThePretender
I forgot to mention that I also have the Amsoil filter with the deck plate mod.
You stated earlier you have no additional fuel mods. Yet, you have the deckplate mod with the S/C? That is probably a contributing factor in your pinging issue. Do a search for deckplate and S/C and you will see Gadget constantly says not to use the deckplate mod with the S/C and stock fuel system.

Last edited by Bighead; 07-05-2003 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:25 AM

My Supercharger runs Great!

I'm not sure where you found that I have a deck plate mod but I haven't messed with my Air box other than to remove the paper filter and install the TRD Air Cleaner.

My S/C runs great. I purchased my 4Runner with the S/C installed and purchased a 3 yr 36,000 extended warranty which covers everything.

So far I've had the rear springs replaced by the dealer to due the Technical Service Bulletin for "Rear Ride Harshness" and I also replaced all the shocks will Bilsteins. The front one's I did myself (oh! what a pain). The rears were done by the dealer ( I just didn't have the time). One of the factory rear shocks was bad (go figure).

Anyhow, My vehicle runs great and I only use premium unleaded fuel.

Thanks for the heads up anyway!
Old 07-05-2003, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the response, Bighead.

The engine has pinged since day 1 w/the s/c and headers. I called the dealer, they said it would take a few hundred miles for the ecu to adjust to the s/c - still pinging a couple of months later. I took the thing in to the dealer, they called trd, checked all the connections, told me to use chevron premium and push in the ect button. 6 month's later, I figured a less restrictive exhaust would reduce the pinging. I got the Borla. The dealer recommended getting the system from Borla rather than trd - they'd rather not have to deal with trd, either. The exhaust helped reduce the pinging since the engine now reacts/downshifts much quicker.

I figured I'd try to open up the intake to improve the fuel economy. The s/c took mpg from 18 to 16. I went with the K&N FIPK and was getting 17mpg with no increase in pinging. Then, I read where the deckplate mod yielded 9.6 hp increase. So, I went for it. No extra pinging. I could spin the tires from a dead stop by mashing the pedal. Still getting 17 mpg.

Now, with the 'ping' pulley install and the trd thermo, the pinging has ceased. There is a noticeable decrease in hp as you can imagine. The larger pulley was supposed to decrease boost by 1 lb, but it actually went from 6 lbs to 4 lbs. The plus is, I'm back to 18 mpg.

I'm thinking about trying the Denso IK22 plugs (I went with the IK16's) and putting the original pulley back on.

Maybe I'm getting greedy, I've spent about $4500 on the performance mods, I am still running 18 mpg, and I have a little more umph. I just thought that the trd was supposed to be a bolt-on kit...

Last edited by ThePretender; 07-05-2003 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: What is the price on Supercharger?