Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What a great day for Griot' and Porter cable...pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JGage
Momo, those "enkei" rims are different than the ones they had on a Sport here. Nice though, what brand/size tires are on there and do you think you could squeeze a larger size (tire) ?

The size of my tires is really starting to bug me.

I'm going to griot's site now, sigh....
They are Kumho Ecsta STX 265/60 R 18 110H. I think I could go a little bigger, but I haven't really researched it. When it comes time to get new tire, I am going to see what my options are.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

How long does the clay last? (how many uses)
I am thinking about getting the starter kit from griots. Any reasons why I shouldnt?
Old 06-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sabre
How long does the clay last? (how many uses)
I am thinking about getting the starter kit from griots. Any reasons why I shouldnt?
I am not sure exactly how many uses you will get out of one bar. I got mine a while back and pinched off half and have used that one half several times. I guess it would depend on how much grime you are pulling off.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11145

This is a pretty good deal. I swear you will not be unhappy with the results.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

What about this?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1001&SKU=11131

Seems like you get a little bit of everything you need.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

That is a good deal, but as far as the wash, wheel cleaner, tire dressing and sponge, you probably already some of that. The clay, Speedshine, and wax is the main thing. I would get the smaller kit and invest in some of the 100% cotton cloths or the micro fiber cloths. That will help cut down on any spider webbing on the paint. What color is your truck?
Old 06-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Great idea. My truck is millenium silver. I am starting to get tar marks that wont come off with regular washing. I think that wet look shine is amazing and I want mine to do that.
So your reccomendation is to get the clay and shine..what about wax?

and BTW thanks for the info you have been giving already.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Since your truck is silver, you should have any problems with the spider webbing. Silver looks so good waxed. I almost got a silver $runner, but I knew I would get pissed off later if I didn't get a black. My last four vehicles have all been black and I love 'em.

The best Of Show wax is really good. You should go ahead and sign up for their catalog. I have a list of stuff I want out of the catalog, but the list of what I want seems to get bigger than the list of what I can afford to order at one time.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:17 PM

Man, your truck is lookin sharp! ...This is off the subject, but I found a 3" gash on my 4runner's rear fender! . It's not too deep, but it is deep enough to feel when you rub your finger across it...sigh...now do any of you have any idea on how to get rid of it?? Is touch paint a good idea, or will it make it more noticeable? I don't want to go to a detail shop just yet b/c I know they'll charge me an arm and a leg. Is there anyway I could repair it myself (btw, I don't think i'll be wetsanding and buffing for fear of making things worse. My baby is only 2 months old!
Old 06-02-2003, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

I was actually going to suggest wet sanding it. Another thing you can do is call your dealer or maybe a local BMW or another high end dealer and ask them who they use for touch-up work. They usually have guys that will come to their dealership to touch-up knicks and scratches on the new cars. I did this a couple of weeks after I got mine. I got a really bad rock knick in my hood and they fixed it right up. Hope that helps.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by momo.75
That is a good deal, but as far as the wash, wheel cleaner, tire dressing and sponge, you probably already some of that. The clay, Speedshine, and wax is the main thing. I would get the smaller kit and invest in some of the 100% cotton cloths or the micro fiber cloths. That will help cut down on any spider webbing on the paint. What color is your truck?

momo.75 did you buy the microfiber towels. I bought griots dry, wash and wax towel kit. Didnt like it much towels to small. I was looking at maybe getting the microfiber but i would like someone opinion first.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by impulsebrklyn
momo.75 did you buy the microfiber towels. I bought griots dry, wash and wax towel kit. Didnt like it much towels to small. I was looking at maybe getting the microfiber but i would like someone opinion first.
I don't have any of the microfiber yet. They are on my wish list, but I just haven't ordered any yet. I have the 100% cotton polishing cloths and really like them.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1005&SKU=14600
Old 06-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Chris,

I bought the microfiber towels from Griots and they are really nice. I used two to remove all the wax on my truck and then a third one to do finishing. They are incredibly soft and take the wax off well, but not without effort.

I washed them after I finished and they look like new again.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:54 PM

yeah i bought those 100% cotton towels to they work well. just looking to get the microfiber.

this is zainos recommendation so this is what ive been doing

The safest way to remove the residue from your paint is with white, made in USA, 100% cotton name brand large bath towels, such as Cannon or FieldCrest. Get them in the bath section at any major department store. The towels that you find in auto parts stores, or the auto sections of the department stores are usually not made in the USA, and even though they may say they are 100% cotton, they are not. Anything other than 100% pure white cotton may scratch your paint finish.You should use white towels because the dyes in colored towels can leave a chemical residue on the piant, and cause streaking. Also, it's important to either remove the stitched borders from your towels, or keep the towels folded in a way that keeps the borders away from the paint. The borders(edges or designs) can scratch your paint, as they may not be 100% cotton.

Wash your towels in hot water, and with a liquid detergent, like liquid Tide, or ALL. Avoid using Powdered detergents, Bleach or any kind of Fabric softeners as these products will leave a chemical residue on your towels that will cause streaking and scratching.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Also, it's important to either remove the stitched borders from your towels, or keep the towels folded in a way that keeps the borders away from the paint. The borders(edges or designs) can scratch your paint, as they may not be 100% cotton.\
Yeah, this cloths have 100% cotton stitching in them, that is what the red thread is. In the Griot's catalog they show how you can test you cloths to see if the stitching is pollyester or not.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys, verrry nice...those shiny rigs have a lot of pride wrapped up in them.

One thing to remember when washing your microfiber towels...no softener sheets in there because the microfiber soaks up the softener material thinking it's dirt! Just dry them by themselves.

Those who enjoy keeping their rides looking good can get some additional tips at http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php

It's a lot of fun to see your face in that finish.

Mick
Old 06-02-2003, 04:44 PM

Momo,

How much did the dealership charge you?
Old 06-02-2003, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sy733
Momo,

How much did the dealership charge you?
It wasn't the dealership, it was a guy that goes around to the dealerships and does touch-up work for them I had just checked with the dealership to see what day he was goin gto be there, then I went up and met him. I think it was about $50, but you can't see it at all.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by sabre
Seems like you get a little bit of everything you need.

I bought the polishing and wax kit without the Porter Cable for $80.00 plus s/h. This kit came with free 8oz wheel cleaner and free Griot's detailer handbook.

Then on Memorial Day, I went to Lowe's to pick up the Porter Cable for only $98.10 dollars due to 10 percent military discount. Lowe's original price is $109.00, still not bad price than getting the whole kit from Griot's for $280.00 bucks.

The kit's part number that I bought from Griot's is #11119A, comes with orange polishing pad, red wax pad, clay bar, BOS, #3 polish, free 8oz wheel cleaner and detailer handbook.

I also bought the clay bar holder for $20.00, part number 10631, and the PC 6 inch backing plate with cooling holes for $27.00 bucks.

Now, I just can't wait for a solid day off so I can dedicate this day for wax on, wax off. Wanna be like Corey or momo.75

What do you guys think about the microfiber towels available at Pep Boys? They come in three colors, green, yellow, and blue. I bought one set though. Are they any good?

Noel
Old 06-02-2003, 06:22 PM

here's the site BTW,

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&sku-11119A

Noel
Old 06-02-2003, 06:35 PM

Oops sorry, I think I gave you the wrong gouge. Well, anyway if you get to Griot's site, just look for part number 11119A. Once again sorry for my stupidity.

Noel

Quick Reply: What a great day for Griot' and Porter cable...pics