Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

waddaya think it's worth???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Sell it and get a trail rig and dd the Acura. Get the wife her soccer mom mobile and live happily ever after. Car payments suck dog poo.

You just THINK you are busy with ONE rugrat. They don't add as you get more...it exponentiates!

Old 02-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know. that's why i'm considering this now - while i still have time to get online from time to time!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Andy, another child-on the way or just in the practicing stages?

Wow, this is a thread that I thought I wouldn't see. I understand the room thing, now that I'm a father-remember I bought a hitch haul and a monster sized box to go on vacation this year with only one child. If we have another child (not even a consideration at this point) I would have to get a trailer. If mine weren't paid for, then I would seriously be contemplating your exact scenario. But I have already been there when I sold my race car several years ago-I felt much better after selling it and paying off some debt. But boy, did I miss having a car hobby, so I got into offroading and camping as a more family oriented sport.

I understand that your wife probably won't drive it everyday, it's not exactly a soccer mom vehicle.

These are sad days.

Think it out for much longer before selling it just to make sure.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You just THINK you are busy with ONE rugrat. They don't add as you get more...it exponentiates!

WTF??? 2 is way easier they play with each other and leave you alone. You were busy and still made a bumper.

Bottom line is that your goning to loose all the mod money. Like it or not.

The Dana 44 scares Soccer Mom's. At pickup you just put it on crawl and keep inching close to that mini van and watch the fear.

Keep the 4Runner and drive it. Oh and for a trail rid ask ding dong wabbit how much chaper that was.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Banned

i have a while to think about it.

our 03 acura TL is a lease that isn't due back until july. to be honest, we can always buy that out and then she can drive that car for another year or so. however, it's small (relative) and isn't comfortable to travel in. the seats SUCK for somebody that's 6'5".

on the other hand, my runner is the "most comfortable" of any of them, but it SUCKS on gas and road feel compared to a more "road" vehicle.

we're not even "practicing" yet, but talking about it, so it can't be too far behind. i honestly think that i have about a year before i have to go thru sleepless nights again. from that point on, i would NEVER have the time to part it out. that's why i guess i'm considering it now, cause if i did decide to part it out, then i'd need to do it probably by the end of the summer.

the other option is always to go back to some 285 or 305 AT's and still DD it from time to time. however, it would still be parked for the extreme majority of the time. i'm thinking about 3-4k a year at most...

i'm not rushing into this, but it's been more of a progression down a path that i've been aware of for a while now...

SS:

1. i won't loose all the mod money - period. if it came to that, there's no way i'd go thru w/ it. i had time to build the bumper cause it was slow at work for a little while and i made time. i don't see kids playing together much for the first year and a half or so.

Last edited by bamachem; 02-13-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
i have a while to think about it.

our 03 acura TL is a lease that isn't due back until july. to be honest, we can always buy that out and then she can drive that car for another year or so. however, it's small (relative) and isn't comfortable to travel in. the seats SUCK for somebody that's 6'5".

on the other hand, my runner is the "most comfortable" of any of them, but it SUCKS on gas and road feel compared to a more "road" vehicle.

we're not even "practicing" yet, but talking about it, so it can't be too far behind. i honestly think that i have about a year before i have to go thru sleepless nights again. from that point on, i would NEVER have the time to part it out. that's why i guess i'm considering it now, cause if i did decide to part it out, then i'd need to do it probably by the end of the summer.

the other option is always to go back to some 285 or 305 AT's and still DD it from time to time. however, it would still be parked for the extreme majority of the time. i'm thinking about 3-4k a year at most...

i'm not rushing into this, but it's been more of a progression down a path that i've been aware of for a while now...
I figure now that Brandy has the Lexus, that we will only put about 6-7k miles a year on my 4Runner. So what, it will last that much longer! How much is the TL to get it off lease? If it's reasonable, buy it, build you a small trailer, keep the 4Runner, wife drives the TL daily and is happy b/c it is easy to park, can still wheel the 4Runner, and take it on vacation with 2 rugrats b/c you built a trailer. Whew, get all that?
Old 02-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Banned

some AT's and a trailer... hmmmm...

the TL is like $16k off lease in july. it has 37k on it and we have a 60k/48mo lease. however, the sales taxes here in TN are 9.25% on auto purchases, so that has to be considered as well. we'll probably get it and register it at my parents in AL for a year - at 3.25%

the TL is so small that w/ a carseat and a baby carrier, it would be cramped for the driver - it's THAT small. sucks on space.

Last edited by bamachem; 02-13-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Uh yeah.

So Is it broke? Did you blow a fart in it? What up with not driving it?

I don't think it will blow up. Why do you need a car to drive if you have a 1999 4Runner?

that was funny
Old 02-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned

Next up...SS said the "M" word.

Ding dong wabbit huh...who you talking to black pot?

Old 02-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Banned

brian, he's got a point...
Old 02-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Banned

WTF??? 2 is way easier they play with each other and leave you alone. You were busy and still made a bumper.

Bottom line is that your goning to loose all the mod money. Like it or not.

The Dana 44 scares Soccer Mom's. At pickup you just put it on crawl and keep inching close to that mini van and watch the fear.

Keep the 4Runner and drive it. Oh and for a trail rig ask ding dong wabbit how much cheaper that was.

you have 4 vehicles. sell the 2 cars, get some extra wheels with 285 STREET tires (not ATs...and NOT MTS for goodness sake), keep your MTRS for your occasional wheeling trips, and DD the runner.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Banned

brian, he's got a point...
On top of his head...so what is yours?

Old 02-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

some AT's and a trailer... hmmmm...

the TL is like $16k off lease in july. it has 37k on it and we have a 60k/48mo lease. however, the sales taxes here in TN are 9.25% on auto purchases, so that has to be considered as well. we'll probably get it and register it at my parents in AL for a year - at 3.25%

the TL is so small that w/ a carseat and a baby carrier, it would be cramped for the driver - it's THAT small. sucks on space.

Yep, a trailer. I know what you mean about small cars b/c I'm tall too and Brandy's IS300 is smaller than that TL. I can't ride in the passenger seat with the rear facing shild seat behind it, so when we take her car I drive everywhere (I would anyway). Now, with the TL, if you were driving, put the baby behind the passenger seat (how tall is your wife?) and your other child behind you in the forward facing seat. That shouldn't be a problem should it? At best when you're all in the TL it would only be around town and maybe an occasional trip to the grandparents-is that worth selling the 4Runner and buying a Cruiser? Vacation in the 4Runner with your trailer.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Banned

1. the grandparents are 8 hours away - both sets...

2. not selling the runner to get a cruiser/lx. turning in the TL, so might as well get something to prepare for a larger family and a minivan is out of the question for us both. it's got to be bigger than the runner, dependable, and good on road trips. 4wd/awd is a necessity. since it will be a cruiser/lx AND i won't have the time to wheel anyway, then why NOT sell the runner... that's my thinking...
Old 02-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Banned

You can spend more time to make more money, but you can't spend more money to make more time.

Don't get caught in a rut...it is a grave w/ the ends kicked out.

Whatever you do, don't lose sight of why you are supposedly doing it.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

1. the grandparents are 8 hours away - both sets...

2. not selling the runner to get a cruiser/lx. turning in the TL, so might as well get something to prepare for a larger family and a minivan is out of the question for us both. it's got to be bigger than the runner, dependable, and good on road trips. 4wd/awd is a necessity. since it will be a cruiser/lx AND i won't have the time to wheel anyway, then why NOT sell the runner... that's my thinking...

B/c you will miss it, trust me. It won't be the same, but maybe you're not as big a car fanatic as me. But you have to be b/c Tundra coils, spacers, and you built your own bumper-you're part 4Runner. Won't your son want to go wheeling with dad?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Really though, ultimately do what is best for your family.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Why don't you take less stuff? Just bring what you need and keep in mind that where ever you go, you can buy food, clothes and TP.

I think I'm gonna sell my 3rd Gen and buy an 85 4Runner and a tow rig and a trailer and still save money.

Oh wait. I have an 81 already and it's a money pit.

Oh wait. I have a 99 4Runner that does operate on a daily basis. I don't have the one that only starts a few times a week. I'm really glad I did not get that option.

Just wait until March 6. You'll be swapin it.

You guys are funny and over think stuff.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dragr1
Won't your son want to go wheeling with dad?
My kid is always there with me and has plans to SAS a Black 2004 Tacoma, He knows someone who will help him.

I took BOTH kids to Colorado.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

My kid is always there with me and has plans to SAS a Black 2004 Tacoma, He knows someone who will help him.

I took BOTH kids to Colorado.
[Hyjack on]

I take the little co-driver with me too...

Here she is at Holy Cross City, CO

Here's Schaefer's kids too at waiting to cross French Creek on Holy Cross (mine's eating lunch in the back of the truck)

[Hyjack off]

Quick Reply: waddaya think it's worth???