Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 03:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

The TRD Tacoma Offroad package - What would you add?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TRD Tacoma Offroad package - What would you add?

The majority of you have probably read the article posted recently, and I"m sure many times in the past since it was released, regarding a comparison between some of the best stock 4wheelers out there. Here is the article for your reference: http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/16558/

In the article, references to the Toyota Tacoma's TRD Offroad package are made (in the winner page where it talks about why the TAcoma won) such as:

"What? How the heck did a Toyota Tacoma get into this comparison? We’ll agree that your basic Tacoma isn’t exactly capable, but adding the TRD package to it changes this truck from a wimp to a warrior. This worth-every-penny package consists of better tires and wheels, progressive coils up front, Bilstein shocks, and an electric rear locker. We found that the Tacoma Double Cab equipped with this package was surprisingly capable during our Pickup Truck of the Year testing and it actually won this competition. That convinced us to include the Tacoma TRD in this comparo."

And

So how the heck did it win? Much of its victory was due to the TRD package.

And summing it up, the aritcle mentions:

Balance, that’s the characteristic that allowed the Toyota Tacoma with the TRD package to win this comparison competition. It didn’t shine in just one area, but instead showed a balanced performance by doing well everywhere. Backing up its trail performance was a host of well-working mechanicals such as the engine, transmission, suspension, and of course, our personal favorite, that rear locker. That’s why the Toyota Tacoma TRD beat out the Jeep TJ to be named Four Wheeler’s Ultimate 4x4.

I don't think there is really much difference in terms of what is offered from the current gen '04 Tacoma (which has the same TRD package essentially as the one in this competition which was a 2001 (I think) and that of the 2005 redesigned Tacoma. According to the specs for the 2005 Tacoma, the features for the TRD Offroad package specifically are:

-265/70/R16 BF Goodrich Tires with solid white lettering (I believe these are BF Goodrich Rugged trails - same as in the current gen offroad package).
-Fog Lamps
-Locking rear differential
-Offroad tuned suspension with Bilstein Shocks
-Transfer case Skidplate
-Sport seats with sport fabric and driver-side lumbar support
-Multi-function overhead console with compass and outside temperature
-Front tow "J" hook
-Front stablizer bar
-TRD offroad package graphics

Now after reading all of this - and with your knowledge of the current package (98-04) which I think is very similar, if not essentially the same as this package for the redesigned '05 Tacoma, I want you to pick ONE Thing that Toyota could do to make this package better. A Front E-locker too? Bigger tires and more clearance ie suspension lift? Solid Front Axle? BF Goodrich All Terrains instead of the Rugged trails? You tell me...these are just some ideas off of the top of my head. I don't want to turn this into a complete aftermarket rig that comes out stock jacked to the tits. I just want to pick one thing, that is within reach of Toyota, that you think they could do to make it even better for offroad enthusiasts. Perhaps you could think of it this way - one thing would save you a bit of hassel in your mods when you buy your TRD Tacoma and start modding it. Something you will do anyways. But it can only be ONE thing. Perhaps, if they're reading, they would take it to heart. Perhaps a consensus or some kind of majority could give a general feeling as to something you feel would make this offroad package that much better. Who knows - maybe Toyota might listen? We're all hear because we are Toyota enthusiasts. We're all here because we want to see Toyota succeed, for when they succeed, we succeed on the trails, or on the street, or wherever we drive our yota.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy big freaking font Batman!

Tough question since for many of us, the only part that remains of the TRD package after a while is the locker. Had I known then what I know now, I would have skipped the TRD package and spent that money on an ARB locker for the rear since I was destined to rip the rest of it, stickers included, out.

But were I pressed, after seeing A LOT of stockers on the trail, I would say that the addition of 3" or slightly less of lift and some mildly agressive 32" tires would really complete the TRD package. That would have saved many of us "Step 1" in the build out.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:56 PM

Good point

That is a very truthful point you have made - many people who are "modders" in the truest sense might tell you that you're better off buying a completely stock bare bones truck with no fancy options and instead modding it as it'll save you some $$$ at purchase as opposed to some offroack package with things you might just change anyways. But anyways -for the sake of discussion lets stick with this topic....
Old 10-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

My 98 Trd is completely stock, and it has gone everywhere I have asked from mud to rocks to many miles down the highway 137k. It could use a lower first gear for steep decents. Which is why I am excited to see how the new 6 speed manual performs. Other than that I am happy with how the truck is setup like the article said balanced.

PS WATRD your truck is sick.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

I say 32" BFG AT KO's. Maybe a front locker and a winch like the new Dodge Power Wagon-while I'm on that, why not add an electronically disconnecting front sawybar.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jdecker
PS WATRD your truck is sick.
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:57 PM

Perhaps this is reaching out too far but I have always liked this idea.

Just like DODGE (respectively, RAM) offers a solid axle to their 4X4 line, TOYOTA ought do the same.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

HORSEPOWER!!!!!!!!! The difference between my supercharged 4runner and stock 04 TRD D-Cab is amazing.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:20 AM

I would say go somewhat of the route the Jeep Rubicon did. I would say they shoud have lockers front and rear and have some 265/75/16 (32") Goodyear MT/R's. Also, I would say to put some good Bilsteins in the Double Cab instead of the Tokico's that they got stuck with. All the other TRD models got Bilsteins except the Double Cabs...WTF.

I would also agree with the option of a solid front axle (like the Rubicon and the Dodge PowerWagon), but that would be tough to offer since none of the other Tacomas would have one. That would cost mucho $$$.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

I vote for 32's with 4.30's or beefier skid plates.

My 98 Taco TRD was just amazing in stock form. I truly never got stuck in it.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 AM

I know I'm coming in a few years late, but i could definitely add to this (even now). I think a major thing is the lift. The 2nd gen Tacos are def too low and most of the people that want to take their trucks offroading either add the 3" or the 6" lift. Rarely do offroaders leave it stock height. The new A-TRAC is sick beyond belief, but i don't think it'll do much if you need speed (it doesn't work at speeds greater than 5 MPH) and you're bottoming out. I love the idea of a front solid axle and would even swap the A-TRAC for dual locking diffs. WHO's WITH ME!?!?!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
A few years late?

:wabbit2:
Old 10-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
2 days short of 6 years