Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Injector Kit ($1299)!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even better,

It's here, temporarily. Grab it, then I will be pulling it down to reduce traffic.

http://www.watrd.com/injector7.pdf
Old 10-02-2003, 04:52 PM

Thanks man, and I appreciate you not getting mad at me, because after rereading my response I came across rude. I'm sorry about that! I didn't know a bunch of people were having trouble on their Tacomas, because everyone that has done Gadget's recommendations hasn't had any trouble that I'm, aware of. I'm not having a bit of trouble out of mine!

I'm printing the PDf file right now so I can review it and see if I can get any ideas for my water injection system I've been thinking about.

I can't wait to see everyone's dynos of before and after they installed this 7th injector. ARe you planning to do that?

Chris
Old 10-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Nah, it's not worth getting mad over, it's just the internet.

I have some old dyno sheets somewhere from when my rig had 33's on it, but nothing with the 35's. I don't plan on doing dyno runs for the injector, just trying it out and going by feel. I will have to rely on the kindness of others for numbers on this one. I have a much bigger project in the works and it's eating my time and money like nobody's business I am going broke, I am tired and boy am I feeling satisfied... damn truck! hehehehhe

If I get it in and hate it, I will yank it and sell it. If I get it in and it lives up to what others are saying, pulls harder, pings less, etc., then it stays

You might poke around TTORA a bit. There was a guy a few months back with a working water injection system and another with a working prototype intercooler. Both seemed to be promising, but I have not heard anything for a while.

I have been waiting for this kit for a while after watching people play with various solutions. Many don't seem to be as happy as you seem to be, so count yourself as lucky It's been a wild ride to see the latest hot thing that someone came up with, then watching as the flaws are discovered and people get tired of tweaking and pull it or move on to the next thing. There's a couple of popular mods on here that I am waiting to see the same cycle play out hehehe I am also looking forward to Gadget's solution to see what he puts together.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:20 PM

Ok, so my water injection system is definitely going to work the way I wanted, especially since they are sending fuel through the supercharger now. I'll be sending water instead. Plus my water injection system will be completely bolt on for sure. I can't wait to start on it. I'll also have to find out some of what has been done on TTORA. Do you happen to know the threads for the water injection stuff you mentioned?

I do have a question though. It says to remove the factory hose off the FPR and on the fitting on the S/C which we all know as the Free FMU mod that is now standard install on 2nd generation superchargers. It says to route the hose to the muffler (silencer on the intake tube), but where does the tube that's already been connected to the muffler go? It doesn't mention that hose and where it gets put.

The other thing that strikes me funny about this kit is the need for the 160 degree TRD thermo, which supposably has been discontinued. Wierd?

I also just went out to make sure the EGR location exists on my S/C, and not just the later models, and it does. So, it sounds like my plan has a slight change that makes it even better.

Man, I'm really glad this kit came out, because it gave me just the information I need to begin my water injection system.

Chris
Old 10-02-2003, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

There's some discussion of why they disconnect the Free FMU on the TTORA board, Gadget chimed in with a few ideas.

I have not looked that deep into the plumbing yet... I am still at work and am looking forward to getting home, propping my feet up, cracking a cold bevarage and reading a bit more. I will see if that same loose end pops up for me.

I wonder if they didn't really discontinue the the thermostat, but instead stopped shipping them so they had enough to include them in all the kits going out.

I am not sure where to point you for the threads, sorry, I read them and filed them away, but didn't write anything down. So, I am afraid you are stuck with the search feature Best of luck with that.

I will be interested to hear what you put together for the water injection Keep me in the loop.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:52 PM

Well, here's my thinking on why they disconnected the Free FMU. I really have no clue how their system works, but my guess its that instead of using the Free FMU, which raises the fuel pressure 1:1 during boost conditions, instead they are increasing fuel only in times of boost at a progressive rate with the 7th injector, therefore eliminating the need for the free FMU. Well, that's the way I would think they did it, but I haven't been on ony of the discussions as of yet.

I could find anything on the water injection, but I found some stuff I plan to rear tomorrow on the intercooler threads that are going on over there.

Please let us know your results, and I'll do the same on the water injection progress.

Chris
Old 10-02-2003, 08:07 PM

The best info so far is that the additional TRD injector is not progressive at all. It is full on or off. It is not pulsed or modulated in any way. The Tundra guys say that their system goes from proper to lean, to super rich when the injector turns on, then leans out again near red line. Kind of like the old TRD FMU they used to have in the kit.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-02-2003, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the update Gadget. So when is your kit going to be ready?
Old 10-03-2003, 05:13 AM

It's sounds like they have some great engineers working for them!

Chris
Old 10-03-2003, 05:15 AM
TOR

TRD Thermostat

Ravencr, there has not been a TRD thermostat that has been discontinued. I have checked with my TRD contact and he said they have no plans to discontinue as well.

Todd

Whaz up Gadget!
Old 10-03-2003, 05:17 AM

Okay, I just sawy this thread and thought it was: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t+discontinued

Chris
Old 10-03-2003, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ravencr
Okay, I just sawy this thread and thought it was: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t+discontinued
... and in the 7th message in that thread, Todd said the same thing that he just said here.
Originally posted by TOR
I just checked with my TRD rep and he said there are no known problems with the thermostats and that there are no plans to discontinue.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:48 AM
TOR

Thermostat

No problem man just another Yotatech urban legend.

Todd
Old 10-03-2003, 10:09 AM

I obviously missed that part guys! Sorry!

Chris
Old 10-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

You guys had me worried. I bought a TRD thermostat two months ago. I guess I will go as planned and install it this spring.

Rob, keep us updated on how your kit works out. It doesn't look too hard to install.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

I just checked, the UPS tracking page and it's not scheduled for delivery to me until MONDAY!

Waaaahhhhh! :cry:
Old 10-04-2003, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob,
Thank you for providing the Install Manual for the kit. I called and called TRD requesting the .pdf file on the manual. They said they would send it but keep forgetting (?) I'd be out of business if I ran my shop the way TRD does.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:52 AM

I have a question

The directions for installation say to disconnect the vacuum line from the FPR (FMU configuration) and plumb it to the IS (muffler) via the 6.8mm/9.5mm O.D. vacuum hose supplied in the kit. My '02 4Runner never had any hoses attached to the IS which made it that much easier to convert to the ISR mod.

I do not understand the advantage (?) of changing the vacuum source? Why can't I continue to get the vacuum source from the boost port at the rear of the SC manifold?

I assume I will have to fabricate some sort of bung on the ISR tube if I am going to retain the ISR mod. Has anyone sourced the proper bung to install in a PVC tube for use with a 9.5mm O.D. vacuum line? Where did you get it and how would you describe the part needed? I suppose I could just get a threaded brass fitting and use flat washers, cut gaskets or rubber washers (?) and a nut in side the tube (that scares me) to make the modification?
Old 10-04-2003, 06:51 PM

I don't know if this would work, but if it was me I'd continue to run the free fmu. At least this way there would less time in the lean condition before the 7th injectors kicks in.

Chris
Old 10-05-2003, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by ravencr
I don't know if this would work, but if it was me I'd continue to run the free fmu. At least this way there would less time in the lean condition before the 7th injectors kicks in.

Chris
That is what I was thinking. No matter how good one thinks his rig is running with the stock tuning, I am sure it still runs lean. I know mine runs right at the limits when I am on the highway. Since 99% of my driving is slow and around town I do not have to worry about it but when I get it out on the highway I am always reminded of the problems I had. It does not ping but I can hear it and feel it running lean, etc. That may sound strange but that is what I believe to be the case. When the time comes for me to talk to Magnuson again at the end of the month I will ask them about that one issue. I know I am going to buy the kit, I just do not want to install it more than once.

Quick Reply: TRD Injector Kit ($1299)!