Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Trailer hitch question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer hitch question!

The saga continues!
So I noticed yesterday I'm not getting parking lights on my trailer.
Realized I'm not getting power to them coming from the harness from the truck.
My harness that runs from the hitch up into the truck connects to a plug that must run to the control box. I unplugged it and on the harness side that runs to the control box...I have everything...turn signals, parking lights etc (I checked with a voltage meter).
I went to WalMart to get a "fix kit" harness and all the ones I found seem to have to be spliced in. I feel I can just splice a new harness in from the "plug" that comes from the control box. I was hoping I could find a new harness with a plug on it that I could plug right in and be done with it...no splicing wires!

Anyone know where I might be able to find one? The whole s/u is new from the dealer...
(Can't go back to the dealer to fix since I already had to fix some of their mistakes w/the harness alread...the turn signals were swapped...)

(sorry for all the wordyness! )

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-19-2006, 08:11 AM

I believe what you are calling the "control box" is actually a "converter" neccesary for converting foreign vehicle light signals to american trailer lights. Anyhow, it is my understanding that Toyota does not sell the converter separately and you must buy the whole trailer light harness to get it. I forget how much it costs, but it's too much. To make a neat job without splices, I tinned the ends of the leads from an after market converter to make them able to plug into the female harness connectors just like the factory male harness ends would have. Check out this thread:
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...ev=#Post905025
Old 08-19-2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by stangman39
The saga continues!
So I noticed yesterday I'm not getting parking lights on my trailer.
Realized I'm not getting power to them coming from the harness from the truck.
My harness that runs from the hitch up into the truck connects to a plug that must run to the control box. I unplugged it and on the harness side that runs to the control box...I have everything...turn signals, parking lights etc (I checked with a voltage meter).
I went to WalMart to get a "fix kit" harness and all the ones I found seem to have to be spliced in. I feel I can just splice a new harness in from the "plug" that comes from the control box. I was hoping I could find a new harness with a plug on it that I could plug right in and be done with it...no splicing wires!

Anyone know where I might be able to find one? The whole s/u is new from the dealer...
(Can't go back to the dealer to fix since I already had to fix some of their mistakes w/the harness alread...the turn signals were swapped...)

(sorry for all the wordyness! )

Thanks,
Mike

Try UHaul, they handle all types of hitches and harnesses...

-DiskDoctr