"hook" ends
11.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Tow straps

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob,

I didn't realize they shouldn't be used for recovery. They look quite durable & are held in w/heavy duty bolts. So I guess my only recovery options are a hitch or a custom rear bumper for shackles?

Al
Old 04-17-2003, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WATRD
...one of the photos also includes a proper recovery/tow hook, complete with a fancy strap retainer (good for you).
That's factory, baby!! (the yellow obviously is not)
Old 04-17-2003, 07:47 PM
DSP

Al...
It seems proper recovery is more than a little difficult.

4 mnths ago I purchased a 2000 5 spd Runner, and am now doing my suspension lift and TJM T15. (Which I finally decided on over the ARB)
Now I am noticing that on the TJM unlike the ARB front bumper there are no place for front shackles.
Seemingly my only option are the xtra beefy shackle hangers that Steve Schaefer (designed and made) but he sold them all.
The plans are graciously available (Thank You) !!
But, for me ... I'm 26, Rent, and have no garage, it is a hard thing to fabricate myself. I feel the single towhook does not provide adequate recovery.

My Question?

Are there any other type of mounts considered safe I can try, or am I forced to fing a welder who can fabricate SS drawings for me?

-April in Telluride...the snow is melting and the roads are clearing
DSP
Old 04-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

look what i just landed http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...410987484&rd=1

Old 04-17-2003, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AllOtherNamesTakenSo
look what i just landed http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...410987484&rd=1

That's a helluva deal!
Old 04-17-2003, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DSP

Seemingly my only option are the xtra beefy shackle hangers that Steve Schaefer (designed and made) but he sold them all.
The plans are graciously available (Thank You) !!

Well your odds are better than you think. I have 9 pairs, 18 pieces that are almost done. In fact they have been almost done for about 9 months now. I still have to drill the 1" holes in the 1" thick stuff, cut the 45 degree corners, weld the 2 parts togehter and drill the dreaded 2" deep 1/2" hole. But the good news is that the U-Shaped pieces are all done and the 1x2 is all cut.

I got screwed on the last batch so I need wait for a demand to build up again and I will finsh them. You will get one of those sets, but don't count on it any time soon.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sschaefer3
but don't count on it any time soon.
I have a man in Fresno to see first....................
Old 04-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HBoss
Rob,

I didn't realize they shouldn't be used for recovery. They look quite durable & are held in w/heavy duty bolts. So I guess my only recovery options are a hitch or a custom rear bumper for shackles?

Al
They do look pretty beefy to the eye, but compare the thickness of the metal to a tow hook and you will immediately see the difference. Add to that the fact that items intended for recovery are specially hardened. The tie down eyes are pretty soft and will twist, tear and break under the forces of a snatch recovery. But you are correct, they are well mounted.

Tie-down eyes are designed to hold a static load like that applied by a chain binder. It only varies slightly as the truck shifts it's weight on the flatbed and there are three or four of them in use at the same time. When you shock load one of them with 10,000 pounds of sudden force, they fail pretty regularly
Old 04-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Cebby
That's factory, baby!! (the yellow obviously is not)
And a fashionable factory hook it is! hehehe
Old 04-17-2003, 08:51 PM

Steve:

Your shackle hanger specs. Do those work for the rear too? Could I replace the factory bolted-in tie-downs with the shackle hangers you made pdf's for? Or would the specs (bolt holes, etc.) differ from the front?

Al
Old 04-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

I got screwed on the last batch so I need wait for a demand to build up again and I will finsh them. You will get one of those sets, but don't count on it any time soon.
ill take a set for the TJM if the price is low enough. will you ship tomorrow?

i bet you wish you didnt open your mouth now
Old 04-17-2003, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about pushing someone. What will set off my air bags? I'd be afraid to give a gentle push for fear of that.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Citykid
Question about pushing someone. What will set off my air bags? I'd be afraid to give a gentle push for fear of that.
first of all, why would you push someone?????

secondly, it takes a pretty decent impact to set off the bags, gentle wont do it. but a gentle push might damage that flimsy stock bumper, that thing is worthless.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Citykid
Personally, I wouldn't do it, especially with a stock bumper or a brushguard for fear of the amount of damage that would result to the tinfoil and tupperware.

The odds of you setting off the air bag are pretty slim, unless there is a running start to that push, but just the same it's prolly not a good idea.

I have rolled into things pretty hard and hit rocks that brought me to a dead stop in a hurry and never set mine off. Somewhere I read that the airbags are off when the rig is in 4lo, but I have not been able to confirm that.

Last edited by WATRD; 04-17-2003 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:07 PM

Rob, I completely agree with your safety guy stance.

Hooks are about $10 each from most off road shops and will bolt directly into many spots on the frame. On the second gen 4runner, both of the stock mounts for the tie downs have good solid mounts and fit the standard hooks. As mentioned the receiver is an excellent choice. You can use the hitch pin, a shackle or even wrap the strap around the receiver if necessary.

At our last obstacle course event, one guy hooked up the strap to his Smittybuilt brush guard - you know, the kind that mounts on the bumper... Buried bumper deep in mud without any hooks (our mistake for not checking this before he got in the mud) he had to get out. The tractor pulled and off came the bumper!

We then found something a little stronger behind the bumper that we could hook up to :o)

I didn't post this in this forum... but it ended up getting posted here. I was supposed to be in the tow strap section.

Last edited by upndair; 04-17-2003 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:34 PM
DSP

No worries Steve, just a little anxious to get my rig ready for summer...but as you conviently pointed out...summer is on in Fresno!

I'm still skiing!!

Let me know when those puppies are finshed...I'll take 2 pair

and have a rock steady time in Fresno.

Humbly
DSP
Old 04-18-2003, 04:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AllOtherNamesTakenSo
ill take a set for the TJM if the price is low enough.
At least $125.00 little boy. Maybe more if the market dictates such. This will be the last batch of these, they take way too much time to make and now that I don't have much free time at all, I don't want to be standing around all weeking drilling and cutting.

I want to be out doing something fun!
Old 04-18-2003, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

At least $125.00 little boy.
is that for the whole batch? geeeeeze

i hope you can get that much so it can go to Marlin, but youre not gettin a dime from me.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:03 PM

I learned my lesson with hooked straps when I broke by neighbors camper window trying to un-stick my truck , come to think of it that was the same day I got my Hi-Lift, THANK GOD 4 HI-LIFT
Old 04-18-2003, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Steve,

I have been admiring your's for a while now. I want a set when they are finished, $125 + shipping? to Albuquerque. Aren't they about 6lb each? That doesn't include the shackle right? What size do they take? I will wait for quality. Let me know when they are ready.

Is there any possibility that you will be making any more panard bar drop brackets?

Quick Reply: Tow straps