tire rub

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have the alignment printout?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:38 PM

after going off-road, if at all serious offroad, not just a gravel driveway, its a HUGE possibility that your alignment got off. i know my old truck would drop its alignment the second i jumped off the road and started spinin through mud. or when i jumped. had a friend with a jump in her driveway, 2.5 mile long driveway, and every time i visited my alignment would change. probally cause i jumped it every time i visited her. im a smart one eh?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:47 PM

After offroading there is definately a possibility of your alignment being off..driverside is naturally heavier due to the driver and its the side of the fuel tank. I run much bigger tires and don't get that type of rub. My guess would be to check that suspension from your fender bender--mine from last oct needed alignment, new knuckle, a lower a-arm...to even ride non wobbley, so I'd check that out. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:47 PM

get an alignment. have them give you a print out of the before and after specs. the alignment spec sheet will tell you if there is any suspension damage.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by terryjmatthew
Do you have the alignment printout?
Originally Posted by netwt12
get an alignment. have them give you a print out of the before and after specs. the alignment spec sheet will tell you if there is any suspension damage.
I have it but it doesn?t want to be scanned. What measurements you need?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:01 PM

Definately check the alignment, but doing a lift doesnt hurt. I had the same tires, then did a 3 inch lift and I didnt here or see any rubbing.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:10 PM

Alright I'll check the alignment, after I put my tundra lift on and I'll see if that combo solves it. I know it would be more helpful to do an alignment 1st but I'm not going to pay for 2 alignment?
On that note I heard some places offer lifetime alignments is that true? Where?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:03 AM

"On that note I heard some places offer lifetime alignments is that true? Where?"
Firestone
Old 09-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The truck will be seriously out of alignment for rubbage on the frame. It should be noticeable while driving. REALLY noticeable.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
The truck will be seriously out of alignment for rubbage on the frame. It should be noticeable while driving. REALLY noticeable.
Its not. I dont do much freeway driving but on the streets it feels fine.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Mine drives almost perfectly, no wandering or pulling.

I just talked to my alignment shop, and they said my stops were fine. They also said it was possible that my rack my not be centered, but they also said they couldn't put my rig on their machine cuz of my rims. The sensors won't fit. So I have to wait another week to take it somewhere else and have checked on a newer machine. I was also told to check the threades on my tie rods to see if they were close to equal. If they're not then the rack is not centered and would cause rubbing on one side.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by madtrixter
Mine drives almost perfectly, no wandering or pulling.

I just talked to my alignment shop, and they said my stops were fine. They also said it was possible that my rack my not be centered, but they also said they couldn't put my rig on their machine cuz of my rims. The sensors won't fit. So I have to wait another week to take it somewhere else and have checked on a newer machine. I was also told to check the threades on my tie rods to see if they were close to equal. If they're not then the rack is not centered and would cause rubbing on one side.
I have 2 threads out on driver side (side that rubs) and 6-7 on passenger side. So what does that mean?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:10 PM

could mean your rack is not centered. I just got my rig back and checked the stops, niether side even hits the stops. when i go all the way right, something stops it from going into the frame, and it's not the stops, or anything else visual for that matter.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:19 PM

I think when my body lift was done, the steering shaft may not have been put back on properly. Maybe slightly tilted one way or the other. Then when it was aligned, they set the wheel straight and aligned to that. This may have caused my rack to be offset slightly from center. So I think that is why I can make a killer left turn(great for tight parking lots, not so great for my tread) I checked my tierods and they are not even close to equal. Next week I will take it in and have it checked by a more knowledgeable shop. They said they could fix it, but they would have to take loose the steering shaft and it would cost more. But I'm cool with that, although when it's done I may need wheel spacers.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by hopper
I have a '98 limited 4runner w/265-75-16 BFG all terrains and a 1" RB body lift. To start off the drive side wheel rubs the frame at full driver side turning on the street. I went off roading this weekend and the driver side rubs like crazy on the flare closest to the drivers door. But this is only on the driver side and none on the passenger side. I was in a minor accident on that side but was fixed and realigned.

Why would the driver side only rub and how can I get the tire farther away from the flare?
Hey Cody .

I have 285/60/18 with no lift. That makes us a similar diameter. I rub frame on the drivers side as well. I used to rub the flare till BruceTS took a BFH to it. Don't just tap the pinch weld, knock the **** out of it and the rubbing goes away .
Old 09-23-2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by tour4fun
Hey Cody .

I have 285/60/18 with no lift. That makes us a similar diameter. I rub frame on the drivers side as well. I used to rub the flare till BruceTS took a BFH to it. Don't just tap the pinch weld, knock the **** out of it and the rubbing goes away .
Hey Joyce
I will end up doing that. I was just hopeing somone would know why only driverside rubs. O-well
Old 09-23-2007, 03:17 PM

i have 265/75 mud rovers and they don't rub--barely
Old 09-28-2007, 06:25 PM

So I got my truck realigned to day. The tie rods were way off, one was way out and the other was in. So they had to take loose my steering shaft and realign it with the rack. So now I have no tire rub on either side.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:49 PM

easy fix: get smaller tires.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by madtrixter
So I got my truck realigned to day. The tie rods were way off, one was way out and the other was in. So they had to take loose my steering shaft and realign it with the rack. So now I have no tire rub on either side.
I need to do my lift so I can have mine looked at. Thanks for the heads up on a possible solution.

Quick Reply: tire rub