Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Time to pick brains

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to pick brains

Hello all. I was just messing around connecting my boost gauge and pod and looking for a place to stash the FTC.
While I was looking for a place to stash the FTC, I ran across something in my glove box. It is an '02 LTD BTW. I pressed in the sides so it can come down and when I looked in and up inside I saw what almost looks like an extra aux power cigarette lighter but it's not,and there is a little "door" next to that that can come down.
What is all that?
Second thing is more of a question about a future problem.
I was playing around under the drivers side dash while looking for another place for the FTC and installing the boost gauge. I got it all hooked up without a problem, them when I was rerouting the wires and vacuum line, the VSC TRAC, VSC OFF and CHECK ENGINE lights came on. I was starting to get nervous and decided to disconnect the battery. Problem solved with idiot lights on. But the engine had a weird idle, like it was sputtering almost but no change in Rpm's. I revved it a few times and that was gone. Now the question is, do you think I will have a problem down the line with the vehicle skid control at all?
Thanx much for reading and the replies if you have any.
I am very curious to know what that stuff is on top of the glove box.
I think after I am done with the performance phase of the 4Runner, I have to invest in a digital camera so I can take pics and show you exactly what I mean.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=4-RUNNIN' FREAK]
While I was looking for a place to stash the FTC, I ran across something in my glove box. It is an '02 LTD BTW. I pressed in the sides so it can come down and when I looked in and up inside I saw what almost looks like an extra aux power cigarette lighter but it's not,and there is a little "door" next to that that can come down.
What is all that?
QUOTE]

Does anyone with 1st, 2nd or 4th gens have this? I'm just curious.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I just read my owners manual, and there are no mention of these things. As far as the VSC & check engine lights comming on, I think it has to do with the FTC being to close to that stuff behing the drivers side kick panel. I put it next to there again and the lights were on again. I'm not 100% sure it's that, or they came on because I now have a problem. I am thinking it has to do with signal frequencies.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

:BUMP:
Old 07-07-2004, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
Hello all. I was just messing around connecting my boost gauge and pod and looking for a place to stash the FTC.
What is all that?
Second thing is more of a question about a future problem.
I was playing around under the drivers side dash while looking for another place for the FTC and installing the boost gauge. I got it all hooked up without a problem, them when I was rerouting the wires and vacuum line, the VSC TRAC, VSC OFF and CHECK ENGINE lights came on. I was starting to get nervous and decided to disconnect the battery. Problem solved with idiot lights on. But the engine had a weird idle, like it was sputtering almost but no change in Rpm's. I revved it a few times and that was gone. Now the question is, do you think I will have a problem down the line with the vehicle skid control at all?
Thanx much for reading and the replies if you have any.
I am very curious to know what that stuff is on top of the glove box.
I think after I am done with the performance phase of the 4Runner, I have to invest in a digital camera so I can take pics and show you exactly what I mean.
----the stuff on the top of the glovebox is nothing really-- i think a punchout for an additional light--maybe a connector for an optional device not in this country or something like that-- the little door goes to the ecu, presumably so that a mechanic can inspect the wires without removing everything. its the same on all tacomas and 3rd gen 4r's, i wouldnt stress 2 much about it. my 98 has the same junk and i really dont care what it does. i wouldnt think that u would have a vsc problem unless u unplugged one of the modules for the vsc.

T