Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Throttle Body went bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no way that the SC could have caused a physical flat spot in the throttle body. I sure hope you got your old parts back......
Old 07-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
There is no way that the SC could have caused a physical flat spot in the throttle body. I sure hope you got your old parts back......
Yep. Sorry man, but you got shafted. You need to go and get your money back. I bet you will have to fight the dealership and not Toyota because this is so bogus. I highly doubt Toyota will refund your money for something that doesn't happen.

Good Luck

Old 07-22-2004, 11:06 AM

I had to get it fixed immediately. I had been trying with several different dealers and repair shops for a couple months. I have nothing but good things to say about Fowler Toyota. It seems like they are the only toyota dealership in the Metroplex that knows what they're doing. Unfortuneatly, I forgot to ask for the old part back but I do remember the service manager mentioning the TBS could not get the proper reading because of this so called "flat spot." I will review my documentation when I get home.

This is not my point however. I don't care if the part was $10, I shouldn't have to pay for anything about the TB. Toyota specifically told me that the TB is not covered under the power train warranty. I believe it should be. Moreover, such a part should not go out when the vehicle is so new with so few miles. I will be following up with Toyota Corporate until I am satisfied or I will never be purchasing a Toyota or Lexus again.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

I bet they are not covering it because the TPS is an electrical part. The powertrain warranty, in my understanding, refers to specific mechanical parts - which is a crock. I think this should be covered too. Keep fighting and keep us posted!
Old 07-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BlueTrane
By going bad, I meant that there was a "flat spot" inside of the throttle body. The service manager said that when throttle was open to a certain point, this flat spot caused an inaccurate reading to be sent and the vehicle would drop the RPM down to idle speed while accelerating. Regardless, the throttle body was $955 and the labor was around $350. Add tax and I'm broke. Wish I would have looked around for a throttle body too but I just wanted it to be fixed. Like I said, I will fight this with Toyota. The service manager lead told me the problem was likely caused by the S/C.

I've read several times on TRD's website that in testing, the S/C has not shown any indications of additional wear to the engine. Not to mention, TRD makes the part and it was dealer installed. I have no complaints about the dealership. I've been trying to get this diagnosed for months by several different dealerships and local repair shops. Fowler Toyota was able to tell me what the problem was in 4 hours.

Calling bull˟˟˟˟ on what the dealer told you.

My guess is your TPS got messed up (which has nothing to do with a S/C, it's just a variable resistor that measures how far you pressed down the gas), so that after a certain point it's reading dropped to 'idle value' and the car thought you let off the gas. In an FI car, the TPS defines how much fuel gets delivered regardless of throttle plate position.

You got ripped, I think even the TPS can be ordered separately can't it? I seem to remember it being a sensor that bolts on to the TB, which had an OEM part number of it's very own.

Fight it bro, if warranty doesn't cover it I would seek higher powers. This is bull˟˟˟˟ and I can smell it all the way over here.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I bet they are not covering it because the TPS is an electrical part. The powertrain warranty, in my understanding, refers to specific mechanical parts - which is a crock. I think this should be covered too. Keep fighting and keep us posted!
What difference does that make? They didn't charge him for a new TPS, they charged him for an entirely new mechanical assembly! Should definitely be within the 60 month/60k mile warranty though, that covers everything pretty much.

Still smellin the bull˟˟˟˟ on this one. Getting worse by the minute. I'd have hung the service manager on the wall by his short-and-curlies at this point.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by denverbikeguy
What difference does that make? They didn't charge him for a new TPS, they charged him for an entirely new mechanical assembly! Should definitely be within the 60 month/60k mile warranty though, that covers everything pretty much.

Still smellin the bull˟˟˟˟ on this one. Getting worse by the minute. I'd have hung the service manager on the wall by his short-and-curlies at this point.
Relax dude, I am just saying they probably used that as an excuse.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Relax dude, I am just saying they probably used that as an excuse.
I know ... sorry I wasn't attacking you, that little moment of anger was meant for the dealership, as in "what does replacing an entire assembly have to do with a small electrical part, and if it's the assembly then it should have been warrantied"...
Old 07-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Cool
Old 07-22-2004, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Unless I am mistaken, isn't his truck throttle by wire? Electronically activated throttle bodies can be VERY expensive, and the TPS is usually integral.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by yamarocket630
Unless I am mistaken, isn't his truck throttle by wire? Electronically activated throttle bodies can be VERY expensive, and the TPS is usually integral.
I have an 02 and have a throttle cable... not DBW

Sometimes dealers just plain don't know WTF they're doing. Many don't fully understand the warrantee to begin with. Some of them are very stupid. That should be covered under powertrain.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:06 AM

Just got a call from customer service. She is going to talk with the Service lead and get back with me. I quoted her what was one TRD's website. Funny enough, she asked me if TRD was Toyota. DOH!! I wanted to smack her. Anyway they're calling back this afternoon.

Someone made the point that they replaced the entire TB...right. Even if the original problem lied within the TPS, the TB should be warranty. I will let you guys know later today what happens if you're interested.

Thanks for your concerns.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:43 AM

Why do stealerships have to be "stealerships"? I would gladly pay a little more to get my truck serviced at the dealer, but I just don't trust them.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:06 AM

TPS can definatly be ordered seperatly.. for a 2002 a TPS is maybe 70 bucks. make sure to ask em if this could have been fixed with a TPS. Good lucks gettin after the dealership. Its sad that techs like that give us other good techs a bad name.

Rock On,
Matt

Old 07-24-2004, 09:02 AM

I reviewed the invoice:
Truck falls flat on face when accelerating. Throttle body TPS sensor has flat spot on it. Replaced throttle body and gasket...
I called my local repair guy and he said he was unable to order a TPS for an 01-02 which would correlate to the story the service manager told me at the dealership. However, I found this link http://to-parts.drivewire.com/buynow...~pcd50841.html. It specifically shows the TPS for my car at $55. I'm waiting on the dealership to get back to me now.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

I reviewed the invoice:

I called my local repair guy and he said he was unable to order a TPS for an 01-02 which would correlate to the story the service manager told me at the dealership. However, I found this link http://to-parts.drivewire.com/buynow...~pcd50841.html. It specifically shows the TPS for my car at $55. I'm waiting on the dealership to get back to me now.

I know this is old, but the link is dead, and I can't find this part anywhere other than for a 2002 Tacoma.

The dealer says it's not in their database, and the techs can't do the work unless there is CEL code.

If anyone else can help, I'd appreciate it. I looked all over online and can't find a thing, cept the Taco part. Can it be the same? Truck specs in my sig.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:18 PM

Funny enough, she asked me if TRD was Toyota.

Wow, that was funny.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:47 AM

Same story. With the model 01-02 4Runner, they stopped carrying the TPS as a separate OEM part. I checked with several dealerships and local repair shops. I ended up spending $1000 on the throttle body and $400 on labor.

I'd recommend trying to find a TPS for an '00 4Runner and see if it works. I'm not very mechanically inclined so you might want to chase up with someone else.

This ordeal put a very sour taste in my mouth with Toyota so I wish you better luck than I.

Cheers!!
Nick
Old 07-17-2005, 11:46 AM

Maybe that is why my repair was around $120 for a flat spot/reading, I think they were only needed replace the TPS
Old 07-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Same story. With the model 01-02 4Runner, they stopped carrying the TPS as a separate OEM part. I checked with several dealerships and local repair shops. I ended up spending $1000 on the throttle body and $400 on labor.

I'd recommend trying to find a TPS for an '00 4Runner and see if it works. I'm not very mechanically inclined so you might want to chase up with someone else.

This ordeal put a very sour taste in my mouth with Toyota so I wish you better luck than I.

Cheers!!
Nick

I am going to try a wrecking yard too.

I do not feel like spending $1,000 on it.

Did they tell you why it can go bad so fast and what would have caused it with the S/C?

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 07-17-2005 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body went bad