Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Three idiot mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is not irresponssible to disable the drl's. i do agree that it would help to see another vehicle, but i would rather some vehicles not have them. some saturns and other gm's seem to have their drl's aimed right in your eyes.

i have always driven with my lights on. since toyotas have had auto off when you open the door, after 30 seconds or when you hit your arm button twice; i would rather drive with them on.

i never have to worry about driving during the twilight hours w/o my lights on endangering someone or pissing them off.

i never have to worry if i have my headlights on in a contruction zone or when it's raining; where it is illegal to drive w/o lights.

to be honest, if i have to replace the bulbs every 3 or 4 years(which i havent had to do yet) i am fine in paying for that. it's not that expensive considering what we spend on our vehicles.

i have been doing this since my 1987 camry(which i still miss dearly, but my es300 is a good replacement) and is one thing i enjoy about toyota
Old 01-06-2008, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i dont have DLR on my 97 but its a law on the highway near my house to have ur headlights on at all times even on sunny days and they like to pick on u about it if u dont turn them on, they gave my friend a $150 ticket for not have his lights on, during a sunny day. they have nicknamed it blood highway tho for all the deaths it has on it every year.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
I'm not even going to bother responding to your post. Oh, Canada!
Oh, Mr. Salt Lake man, that's brilliant. RobD was refering to daytime lights being mandatory in Canada as per law, being that the country has more snowfall, darkness, winter driving issues and related experience than you can ever hope to experience in your location. Damn - if there's a law here, it was paved by blood on the highway. Blizzards, fog, dusk...there are plenty of low visibility situations where daytime lights make the road safer. And he's speaking from a position of a professional... so we should believe you instead? You're calling people idiots for not doing one of your "idiot mods" and so the guy calls you on it because there might be a safety issue people should be aware of. If my teenage kid borrowed by idiot mod truck and was crushed by a vehicle collision because the other driver couldn't see him, I might question who the idiot is.

I'll agree with RobD on the basis as what he's saying makes a hell of lot more sense that what you said. You're talking about being blinded in a daytime blizzard by your own running lights. I'm sorry...WTF! LMAO.

Ah sheet man. You did put a smile on my face.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:11 PM

My 2000 has DRL and how do you get blinded in the daytime by your DRLs in a snowstorm?????? haha DRLs save lives- insurance numbers back it up.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:59 PM

Remember!
If you disable the DRL, the terrorists win!
Drive safe!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by mckym1
Remember!
If you disable the DRL, the terrorists win!
Drive safe!
lol wtf???
Old 01-11-2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Paulsky
Oh, Mr. Salt Lake man, that's brilliant. RobD was refering to daytime lights being mandatory in Canada as per law, being that the country has more snowfall, darkness, winter driving issues and related experience than you can ever hope to experience in your location. Damn - if there's a law here, it was paved by blood on the highway. Blizzards, fog, dusk...there are plenty of low visibility situations where daytime lights make the road safer.
Who was talking about not runnning headlights at all? Did you actually read my post? Did you comprehend it at all? I never said anything about low-light conditions, blizzards, fog, etc. Of course I turn my headlights on when there is limited visibility. Way to put words in my mouth. And just because you live in Canada makes you such an expert and the rest of us down here in US are a bunch of know-nothing idiots?

And he's speaking from a position of a professional... so we should believe you instead?
Professional. Right. First of all, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Anyone can be anyone. I coach my gf all the time while she's driving, so I guess I'm a defensive driving instructor, too.

You're calling people idiots for not doing one of your "idiot mods" and so the guy calls you on it because there might be a safety issue people should be aware of. If my teenage kid borrowed by idiot mod truck and was crushed by a vehicle collision because the other driver couldn't see him, I might question who the idiot is.
Were you offended that I called these mods "idiot mods?" therefore putting you in that category? Grow some thicker skin, Ms Canada. If your kid gets in an accident due to having no lights on, whose fault is that? That is the most ridiculous logic I've ever heard. Do you also wish for seat belts that automatically strap you in every time, because you can't remember to do so?

I'll agree with RobD on the basis as what he's saying makes a hell of lot more sense that what you said. You're talking about being blinded in a daytime blizzard by your own running lights. I'm sorry...WTF! LMAO.
Daytime blizzard....please reference where I said daytime blizzard. All I said was SOMETIMES when it's snowing, it helps to turn off the headlights to see better. Have YOU ever tried it? And you might ask (like your buddy Rob did) why am I out in such conditions? Have you ever gotten stuck in a snow storm out on the road? I'm guessing so, being that you live in a country with much more "snowfall, darkness and winter driving issues."

Oh, Mr. Salt Lake man, that's brilliant. RobD was refering to daytime lights being mandatory in Canada as per law, being that the country has more snowfall, darkness, winter driving issues and related experience than you can ever hope to experience in your location.
"The city is among the sunniest in Canada, with 2,405 hours of annual sunshine, on average. Calgary International Airport in the northeastern section of the city receives an average of 413 mm (16.3 in) of precipitation annually, with 301 mm (11.9 in) of that occurring in the form of rain, and the remaining 112 mm (4.4 in) as snow." Per Environment Canada

"[Salt Lake International Airport] averages 58.7 in (149.1 cm) of snow per year, while bench locations near the mountains receive substantially more, reaching 80 to 100 in (200 to 255 cm) annually. The four ski resorts located in Big and Little Cottonwood each average more than 500" of snow per year. These high snowfall totals can be credited to the lake effect, in which snow storms passing over the Great Salt Lake are amplified by the warm waters of the lake.

Please shut the **** up.

Ah sheet man. You did put a smile on my face.
I can almost picture it...

Last edited by cackalak han; 01-11-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"The city is among the sunniest in Canada, with 2,405 hours of annual sunshine, on average. Calgary International Airport in the northeastern section of the city receives an average of 413 mm (16.3 in) of precipitation annually, with 301 mm (11.9 in) of that occurring in the form of rain, and the remaining 112 mm (4.4 in) as snow." Per Environment Canada

"[Salt Lake International Airport] averages 58.7 in (149.1 cm) of snow per year, while bench locations near the mountains receive substantially more, reaching 80 to 100 in (200 to 255 cm) annually. The four ski resorts located in Big and Little Cottonwood each average more than 500" of snow per year. These high snowfall totals can be credited to the lake effect, in which snow storms passing over the Great Salt Lake are amplified by the warm waters of the lake.

Please shut the **** up.

BURN!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:33 AM

Daytime running lights are intended to increase the conspicuousness of the vehicle during daylight conditions.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boo hoo hoo cackalak han Are you upset?
If you werent such a douche bag with your idiot comment in your completely useless and uninformative original post, you wouldn't have people hurting your feelings. Grow up.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:51 PM

why is it a big deal??? maybe there are some places where it is better to have drl's off, like sonic, i want the car running but my lights off so they don't shine right at the ppl across the way....now someone is calling me a terrorist.....thanks a hole i like them as much as u...stop whining about this. ppl do what they do. and good job han. peace
Old 01-12-2008, 01:58 PM

You'd have to have 20/5 vision to be irritated by my DRL's.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by techno
Boo hoo hoo cackalak han Are you upset?
If you werent such a douche bag with your idiot comment in your completely useless and uninformative original post, you wouldn't have people hurting your feelings. Grow up.
Actually, I'm not bothered at all. Seems like it pissed you off more than it did me. They're the ones that came in and started the bash, not me. What does it matter to YOU anyway? Such a tool.

BTW, it is hilarious that you're telling me to grow up with terms like "idiot" and "douche bag". Way to go, e-thug.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
You'd have to have 20/5 vision to be irritated by my DRL's.
When I'm out hunting or camping, it is sometimes a nuisance to have the DRL's on.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:47 PM

When I'm out hunting or camping, it is sometimes a nuisance to have the DRL's on.
Maybe try hunting without your truck running next time...and I can't imagine how DRL's bother with camping.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Well, if this thread is indicative of the direction YT is going, that bums me out. I can't believe you guys got into a flame fest over DRL's. Lame.

I disco'd mine for wheeling reasons. I have a habit of turning them on when the truck's on anyway.

If you wanna disable 'em, fine, do it, but do we have to argue about it?
Old 01-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
Well, if this thread is indicative of the direction YT is going, that bums me out. I can't believe you guys got into a flame fest over DRL's. Lame.

I disco'd mine for wheeling reasons. I have a habit of turning them on when the truck's on anyway.

If you wanna disable 'em, fine, do it, but do we have to argue about it?
I respect your opinion and don't care about you disabling your DRL's, It's just the absolutely bizarre logic people concoct to justify their actions...and yes, this is why ultimateyota.com was formed.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
Maybe try hunting without your truck running next time...and I can't imagine how DRL's bother with camping.
You're funny. Have you ever been hunting? Or camping? I feel the need to be courteous to my fellow campers and hunters and do not want to blind them with my DRL's. You lose a lot of night vision even with the DRL's shining on you.

I swear I have every single e-thug/comedians coming out the wood works on here.

Whitey - Don't dismiss the fact that comments like yours are only adding to the downfall of this site.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:31 PM

Like I said to Tacoclimber, I don't care if you turn off your DRL's, but lets just be reasonable with our logic here.
What is more irritating to people in the situation you describe; weak DRL's or the 4500 lbs truck behind them.

Last edited by Whitey13; 01-12-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

I don't have daytime running lights, and I don't desire to ever have them.
But I do think it would be a good idea if everyone turned there lights on during the day.
Among the first things I do after I start my truck is Buckle up and turn on the lights, I think its a great added feature.
This mod should have a warning that says "Do at your own discretion."

The VSC/Trac is something I hate as well, but I would only disable it for the trails, for daily driving though its great.
This mod too should have "Do at your own Discretion"

Diff Mod is very wise, I didn't do it at first and had to pay 600+ for repairs.
Plus if your seals do go then you loose your rear brakes and your screwed.

Congrats on your success on your mods.
Hope they work out well for you.

Quick Reply: Three idiot mods