Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

to those who have lifted

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to those who have lifted

well i've already decided on lifting my runner 2.5 inches, i just haven't got it intstalled yet. but i was wondering about a couple things, and maybe those of you who have already had it done could answer me on a couple things...

how has it affected your driving? see i tend to drive fast (not TOO fast i'd like to think) but how much more prone do you feel to a rollever with a lifted truck compared to stock.

also, have you had to change and other driving habits/noticed anything different in typical daily driving since you got a lift?

though i can't wait to get mine in, and to see how it looks and performs, i guess i have the pre-lift jitters
Old 10-12-2002, 10:30 PM

I have a 2 1/2" lift with 285/75 which gives me another inch. I drive like I always did. Of course, anytime you lift a vehicle your risk of rollover goes up with it.

Old 10-13-2002, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

okay, another question. what exactly are lockers? i'm gussing that means a rear differential locker, like the one that came with my 4runner?
Old 10-13-2002, 11:30 AM
Banned

Yes, when we talk about lockers it means differential lockers. I thought 2002 4Runners did not have the rear locker available but rather have Active TRAC and a center locking diff (way different than a rear diff lock.) Do you have the pushbutton switch on the far left of your dash that says 'RR DIFF LOCK'? that's the rear electric locker.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

no i've got the button on the left of the sterring wheel that shows 4 wheels with an x on the line going vertically down the middle of them. then when i push it, on the 4wd indicator next to the speedometer, the center circle lights up. so is that center locking differential or rear?

if so, how to center ones compare to rear? which is better and what exactly does each do for you?
Old 10-13-2002, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

That is the center locking differential.

This is from a post by westrek at OutdoorWire:

The center diff lock that you have is not the same as the rear differential lock that many pre 99 owners love & covet for off-roading as I would like to add to my 4Runner. With the center diff UN-Locked (in other words, you have pushed the 4wd button on the transfer case shift handle) the system allows your vehicle to operate the 4wheel drive system in an All Wheel Drive mode much like an Audi Quattro all wheel drive, Subaru WRX etc.

In other words you can use ALL Wheel Drive on hard dry pavement (in fact on any surface) without binding & breaking any drive train components & benefit from the advantages that the extra traction will give you. ALL Wheel Drive (AWD) mode can be operated in Hi-Range (kind of the default setting if you will) & Low Range. AWD operation doesn’t disable any of your vehicles passive stability systems such as Traction Control, Vehicle Stability Control nor the ABS.

Now if you push that button to Lock the center diff, things change you go from AWD to a more traditional 4 Wheel Drive mode that really is meant for low traction surfaces. You need the low trac surface cause now all your drive train components (like the front & rear drive shafts) are pretty much locked together (yes the diff front & rear axle diffs are still open), to give you more grip through less slippage in the drive train (in simple terms).
Here is the entire thread if you want to read it.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Okay I am propboly the most recent one on the board to lift my Runner. I have noticed alot of differnces. I seem to bounce ALOT more, I hit one dip and I contiue to bounce right up untilt he next one(I guess something I'm just gona have to get used to). But as for cornering, I have been really carefuly and taken it slowly, but I'm starting to get more use to things and aloowing it to drift a little faster into corners, I think that is due to the Bils. and their ability to keep things flat in the corners. I tires also must have something to do with corner and speed ability, A/Ts are just not made to be pushing the coners, but Sweet Lord are they made for the mud. It's kinda hard to remind myself that I'm still 2WD, the truck looks bad ass and can take on the mud really well now w/ these tires.
Good luck with the lift man, and just breath your way through it, I found myself not breathing and stressing alot of things that I didn't need to worry about. You'll be happy with the finished product I promiss.