Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thorley headers GROUP BUY on CT

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elkaholic
Ok thanks for confirming guys. ya Q I thought you had the wrong pic up but wasnt sure about it.

So my next question about what Speedy posted. Since there isnt much pipe between the stock sensor and cat the new Thorley flange is going to weld up pretty much directly to the cat huh?

And if thats so why is the flange there? For the cat delete, and so they could use the same downpipe for both egr and non egr???
Those are good questions. I'd like to see these installed on a 2 cat vehicle.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Ok thanks for confirming guys. ya Q I thought you had the wrong pic up but wasnt sure about it.

So my next question about what Speedy posted. Since there isnt much pipe between the stock sensor and cat the new Thorley flange is going to weld up pretty much directly to the cat huh?

And if thats so why is the flange there? For the cat delete, and so they could use the same downpipe for both egr and non egr???
the flange is there because i believe thorley supplies to another flange. The flange on the thorley header end is a female flange while thorley supplies an extra male flange which is welded on to the beginning end of the stock downpipe where the 1st cat is. However thorley will be making a custom downpipe with a cat delete so you will not be welding anything period just bolting it up. Hope my theory is correct.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by kevin444
the flange is there because i believe thorley supplies to another flange. The flange on the thorley header end is a female flange while thorley supplies an extra male flange which is welded on to the beginning end of the stock downpipe where the 1st cat is. However thorley will be making a custom downpipe with a cat delete so you will not be welding anything period just bolting it up. Hope my theory is correct.
That's my understanding too, but with the cat delete you'll have a CE light unless you get an O2 sensor simulator for the rear O2 sensor.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
That's my understanding too, but with the cat delete you'll have a CE light unless you get an O2 sensor simulator for the rear O2 sensor.

people who obviously chooose to buy the cat delete know the drawbacks. and yes you will need the simulator from urd.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by kevin444
people who obviously chooose to buy the cat delete know the drawbacks. and yes you will need the simulator from urd.
I'd like to see a CAT delete for just the first CAT. Better performance AND clean air.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
Those are good questions. I'd like to see these installed on a 2 cat vehicle.
Ya same here, I saw your questions to Chris on CT but I dont think he ansewered them for this situtation.

I havent read the cat-delete forum over htere yet but is that to get rid of both cats? I dont want to get rid of any. So if I understand what Kevin is saying that they will supply another flange with a bit of tubing on it that welds up right before the first cat? Or is it gonna replace that first cat no matter what?

Sorry I might be asking so many dumb questions guys but thanks for helping me clear it up
Old 06-22-2007, 04:35 PM

Ya same here, I saw your questions to Chris on CT but I dont think he ansewered them for this situtation.

I havent read the cat-delete forum over htere yet but is that to get rid of both cats? I dont want to get rid of any. So if I understand what Kevin is saying that they will supply another flange with a bit of tubing on it that welds up right before the first cat? Or is it gonna replace that first cat no matter what?

Sorry I might be asking so many dumb questions guys but thanks for helping me clear it up
Actually the Thorley down pipe will replace some of the first cat tubing. You trim a few inches of the first cat tubing, and put a flange on the cut and bolt the first cat to the Thorley down pipe.

The cat delete gets rid of both cats.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

gotcha thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 AM

UPDATE:

Production started for the members on the list. The initial deposit of $100 will be collected by customtacos.com member Iskustumz early next week, probably Monday to determine who is serious. After that they will be sent out to be coated. The balance will be collected before the finished product ships out.

A few people signed up earlier in the week so it's not too late if you're looking for a set.

Soon fellas...

Also...

Question:
"Any thoughts on a cat delete for the first cat in a dual cat vehicle?'

Response:
"Many people have asked for this type, meaning just a single cat delete leaving just the second. Which will also make it a lot easier to make. I will post this also in the cat delete thread. But I am thinking I will offer this to he people buying the headers which narrows down the models, and the people who will follow through as well."
Old 07-12-2007, 09:57 AM

Currently there are 22 people on the list. We have the 20 person price, we are looking at a possible $25 price break at 25 folks - marketing has to get back to Chris on that one.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 AM

Pictures of the test fit completed this weekend for the single cat EGR are now up.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93625

"So for those waiting for this group buy you will be STOKED!!!"
Old 07-17-2007, 06:10 AM

I am new to the forums, but would be extremely interested in getting in on this deal. I have a 98 4Runner ltd that is in desparate need for a new exhaust and I joiined the forums for the research value. Is it too late to get in on this? Ceramic coating is my preference. Where do I sign up?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Angstrom
I am new to the forums, but would be extremely interested in getting in on this deal. I have a 98 4Runner ltd that is in desparate need for a new exhaust and I joiined the forums for the research value. Is it too late to get in on this? Ceramic coating is my preference. Where do I sign up?
Sign up over at Custom Tacos as that's where the group buy is taking place and add your name to the list here: http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88960
Old 07-17-2007, 08:32 AM

I did but screwed up. My email options was set to delete bulk mail automatically so I did not get the link. I have PM'd one of the moderators to help with it.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Angstrom
I did but screwed up. My email options was set to delete bulk mail automatically so I did not get the link. I have PM'd one of the moderators to help with it.
I added you to the list, but you'll need to update it with all the pertinent information when you get access such as EGR or no, dual cats or single, etc.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:20 PM

Is the EGR quite visible? I have been using the diagrams of the prototypes looking for this tube that wraps back around and can not see any evidence of such a tube. This surprises me. I thought all vehicles had been equipped with EGR for about 20 years now.

If that is the case, then it is ceramic for 98 4Runner, no EGR, one CAT

Last edited by Angstrom; 07-17-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:40 AM

UPDATE: 28 folks on the list. One interested. Shooting for the 30 person price break of $35.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys, I can drop the price another $35 if we go up to 30 people. This DOES NOT include the other for 25 marker. Hope this helps out a little more.

Also, I think at this point it will be easier to just bypass the deposit and go forth with the buy. If some people would like they can pay now and pay the shipping later. Because at this point in time, the only problem I foresee is running out of stock!! We do runs of 25 for each, so I have a total of 50 sets of headers, shared with EGR part number and the Non-EGR number. I know there will be some stragglers towards the end, but we will also have few drop off as well. Let me know if you guys have anymore questions.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 AM

i'm still in. a little tight on cash at the moment, but in nontheless.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:05 AM

Just a silly question --- did anyone ask them to put a EGT bung in there? Seems like that would have been a given for the SC crowd.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by jimbob
Just a silly question --- did anyone ask them to put a EGT bung in there? Seems like that would have been a given for the SC crowd.
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93625

"ALso note, mine have an extra EGT and O2 bung that will not be included in the production model. They even ceramic coated the EGR flex pipe. "

Quick Reply: Thorley headers GROUP BUY on CT