Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: To be or not to be SC?
Yes
75.00%
No
25.00%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Thinking about going with a supercharger...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed mine last summer, and it runs great. Only additional mod was a tranny cooler, but that was coming anyway. Haven't done any fuel mods and have no problems. Just drove it from Denver to VA and got better mileage, around 23/hwy and am getting around 19/city. Definitely the best mod you can do for the money.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Dang Steve, just when I was one click away from submitting my order! I'm beginning to feel guilty about dumping more money into the 4runner, when I'm just getting started with the FJ-40! I've already got the front bumper and new rear tire carrier bought, new Corbeau racing seats, a winch that I'll get off the 4runner, Rims/tires I got off the 4runner. But... it needs a lift, disc brakes front and rear, rear locker (don't know if I'll go with an ARB or not though), plus a welder I can mess around with to replace some rotted sheet metal.... Bye bye SC.....

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 05-06-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Dude just get it .. this is one of those things that will never be explained with logic. If you can get it, you have to have it. and at this price, its such a sweet deal. When you come to your senses in 2-3 months, you'll kick yourself in the arse for not getting it.

I raced Gadget one night coming home .. he was s/c and all I had were the headers .. he blew me away. There was no way I would ever catch up to him.

Do it, Do it, Do it ... is this working ..
Old 05-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

I can't be any happier with my S/C. At altitude (5250) I don't need fuel mods and when I head to sea level I don't notice any problems either. I was very pleasantly suprised at how easy it was to control the 'runner offroad with the S/C, no problems feathering the throttle.
Go ahead, you won't be sorry!
Old 05-06-2004, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
I installed my supercharger with 110,000 miles on the odometer. I'm up to 148,000 now. Still runs like a champ
Dude. Don't tell me that. I would be too tempted.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:00 PM

I just ordered my S/C with 7th injector kit. I can't wait to install it next weekend!

-- Andrey
Old 05-06-2004, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Dang Steve, just when I was one click away from submitting my order! I'm beginning to feel guilty about dumping more money into the 4runner, when I'm just getting started with the FJ-40! I've already got the front bumper and new rear tire carrier bought, new Corbeau racing seats, a winch that I'll get off the 4runner, Rims/tires I got off the 4runner. But... it needs a lift, disc brakes front and rear, rear locker (don't know if I'll go with an ARB or not though), plus a welder I can mess around with to replace some rotted sheet metal.... Bye bye SC.....
Hmmmm.....Now your thinking grasshopper!! he he
Old 05-06-2004, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bye bye SC.....
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2004, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Andrey
I just ordered my S/C with 7th injector kit. I can't wait to install it next weekend!

-- Andrey
Who's installing it?
Old 05-07-2004, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the Money Pit. FJ's are really something, but are $$$.

Once you wheel the thing and start working on it, you'll see all these things Toyota did on them to make them the "ultimate" off-roader. Needless to say, Toyota knows how to build the ultimate vehicle and left alot of that stuff off the Mini Pickup and the 4Runner, even the early 80's streight axle ones.

If my 4Runner were to bite the dust, I would replace it with some sort of FJ in a New York second.

FJ-40 or FZJ-80 being the neck and neck choise.

Once you get a feel for the FJ-40 and the cost if it's parts, etc. If you have extra dough buy a Super Charger for the 4Runner. But wouldn't a newer Celica with a S/C be faster?
Old 05-07-2004, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Who's installing it?
Steve, you have PM!

-- Andrey
Old 05-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

So did you buy it yet?

there is only one correct answer here
Old 05-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Nope, I've decided to hold off for the short term. My compromise is to go out and buy a welder (pay cash) instead of putting the SC on plastic. This will let me finish up the interior, and then I can move onto the "real" mods.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Nope, I've decided to hold off for the short term. My compromise is to go out and buy a welder (pay cash) instead of putting the SC on plastic. This will let me finish up the interior, and then I can move onto the "real" mods.
Miller 175 at least. It will run you between 600-700. It's half the machine I have but it will serve you well in the long run.

Don't buy a 110 welder, your wasteing your time and money. Sure they work, but come on you want a good one right?
Old 06-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Rugby10

This is the smartest decision in my opinion. Credit card = Plastic is cool in the short term, but eventually it WILL catch up to you. What kind of welder are you buying? I'm saving for thisLincoln. It's a very versatile burn box. I have been foregoing all mods until I can afford to pay cash for this baby. 3/4ths of the way there.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, no regrets about holding off on that impulse purchase. As we've talked about on a different thread, I got the welder, and have been using it to do all kinds of stuff that would have been alot harder or impossible without. Even little things, like after I got a new tire carrier for the back of the LC, the stock license plate holder was in the way of it closing properly. So, just did some creative work with a cutting disc, then welded the holder on the back of the tire carrier. Welding rocks, now I just wish I didn't suck at it. I'll be taking a course in the fall/winter with any luck.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:41 AM
Rugby10

I thought you already had a welder. I saw the job you did on the floor pan of your FJ. (looked good for a n00b from a n00b ) Anyway, I was thinking about how much my welder is going to cost vs. the cost of an SC for my rig. $200 difference without other mods... I started to want a SC really bad. I had to slap myself out of it, as I'm sure I'll be happy welding all kinds of stuff in the near future.

Take the course it is well worth it. There is something to be said for welding technique, not to mention the impenetrable jargon, and the years, if not decades of knowledge your instructor will have.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:53 PM

I would have to say you made the right move.

I love my SC but now feel guilty for not being able to afford the URD kit or 7th injector to really make it run like it should. I never enjoy feeling like I've half-#@*ed it.

I guess I can take consolation that I can beat the Xterras up the hills though!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:58 PM

This is kinda off the topic...but you need a s/c to take an xterra? my n/a taco took a sc'ed frontier no problem
Old 08-04-2004, 12:23 AM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
I wish they would come out with one for the 3.0. I'd be all over it.

Quick Reply: Thinking about going with a supercharger...