Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Taurus Fan install complete

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ravencr
I guess I'll just do the Taurus fan, but I'm not going to worry about it before my trip. It only really comes into play at WOT.

Chris
What happened to the fan?.......sry if you already posted this.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what casued it, bu it has a crack in one of the blades, which at WOT causes it to hit the shroud and make noise.

Chris
Old 07-22-2003, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

YIKES!!!....that sounds a bit dangerous.....well, get it fixed when you can.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:35 PM

Anyone know where to get 40A relays that are normally closed(So that energizing the relay opens the circuit instead of the normal relays~normally open)? I want to use these with the DPDT switch so that energizing one speed on the fan will disable the other speed.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:48 PM

Ok, so if I want to run this Taurus fan on the high setting, I need to run a 150 amp relay, right, because they say it only its just above 130 amps for a couple milliseconds and then drops back down to 40 amps. Where can I find the imperial controller, mount kit, the bosch 150 amp relay, and freewheeling diode?

This stuff is all foreign to me, to say the least.

Chris
Old 07-23-2003, 08:50 PM

Also, is this the correct understanding of how this thing operates: I can set the temperature I want it to come on at, such as 192 degrees like the stock thermostat, even though I'm running the TRD thermostat which kicks on at 180 degrees? Also, when the A/C compressor is on, it will automatically come on, right?

And, if I want to turn it on or off, I need the DCDT switch, right?

Chris
Old 07-24-2003, 02:15 AM

Lance from the PBB ran the Taurus fan with an 85A relay (solenoid) Napa part #ST85 ($47.00) The 150A Bosch relay at Napa is $74.00! The Imperial controller($39.00) and mount kit($6.00) can be found at most any auto parts store such as Pep Boys. As far as the freewheeling diode, I would try Radio Shack for that. I didn't use a freewheeling diode at all. As far as the DPDT (dual pole dual throw) switch, I am going to use it to select which relay (40A for low speed or 85A for high speed) to actuate~to control which speed setting will be run when the preset temperature is reached or to switch off the fan relays if I need to as in a deep water crossing. As far as my setup, I am running a 180* thermostat, and my fan comes on somewhere after the thermostat opens.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:31 AM

So, are you saying that since the 130+ amps that are pulled by the fan on the high setting is for a such a short time that it won't blow the fuse or relay, so don't waste the money on the 150 amp relay? Also, since you aren't using the freewheeling diode, what does it do that would be different than your setup? They said they activate the fan at 200 degrees, when their thermostat opens at 180 degrees, because at highway speeds of faster speeds they didn't want it coming on when there was already enough air flow. It made sense to me that this would definitely save on gas, and not rob any power.

Chris
Old 07-24-2003, 04:52 AM

Exactly. The 85A relay's 85A rating is the continuous rating. The intermittent rating is way higher. As far as drawing 130A, I believe that if you started your fan in the low speed mode and then switched it to the high speed mode, the amp draw would be less dramatic. I think that the high speed mode draws the high amps from a dead stop only. I didn't use the freewheeling diode and I have noticed no ill effects. Perhaps the diode is just a precautionary measure. Sure at highway speeds the fan will probably not turn on at all~save for when your A/C is on due to the A/C override function of the Imperial fan switch. The whloe issue with the 100A current draw is moot in my case since I am only running the low speed mode at this time.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by seafarinman
Exactly. The 85A relay's 85A rating is the continuous rating. The intermittent rating is way higher. As far as drawing 130A, I believe that if you started your fan in the low speed mode and then switched it to the high speed mode, the amp draw would be less dramatic. I think that the high speed mode draws the high amps from a dead stop only. I didn't use the freewheeling diode and I have noticed no ill effects. Perhaps the diode is just a precautionary measure. Sure at highway speeds the fan will probably not turn on at all~save for when your A/C is on due to the A/C override function of the Imperial fan switch. The whloe issue with the 100A current draw is moot in my case since I am only running the low speed mode at this time.
seafarinman is exactly right, the fan will try to get to full speed as fast as possible and this acceleration takes power. It obviously takes more power to accelerate to a faster speed (think of a drag race). Since power = Volts * Amps and the voltage stays fixed between 12V and 14V, then the only thing the motor can do is to draw more amps. If the fan is already spinning and not at a dead stop, then the power to accelerate the fan is less and so is the current draw.

Are you still with me here?.....almost lost myself!
Old 07-24-2003, 04:03 PM

So, from what I understand, it might be possible to get away with a smaller amp relay than a 85 amp, if we can determine the intermittent max load of the relay, right? This could save money too. Anybody know?

Chris
Old 07-24-2003, 04:24 PM

Some of the guys on the PBB ran (2) 40A relays in parallel. They said to make sure that the trigger and ground wires are the same length on both so that they actuate at the same exact time~after all they will be sharing the load and need to share it equally. I will just go with the NAPA ST-85 with a slow blow 80A fuse on the +12V battery lead.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:27 PM

Ok, sounds like I'll do the same. So, where's that write-up? Just kidding, but I would love to see one, before I go out and buy all the parts and try it on my 3.4 Liter.

Chris
Old 07-24-2003, 04:48 PM

Not that it would be a problem or anything, but the 3.4 radiator is a bit wider than the 3.0 radiator. It is thinner though. I was going to do a write up on the install, but I don't think that I took enough pics when I did the install. I am thinking of doing the high speed fan hookup with the DPDT switch this weekend (if I don't go wheeling!) so if I get around to it, I will do a write up on that. I guess that I can still do a write up (minus lots of pics) for the fan install. But, it will be from a 3.0 V6 point of view. I can probably work on that tonight (at work), and email it to Corey later on tonight or tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:50 PM

That would be awesome, even without pictures, would be fine with me as long as it's in English!!

Chris
Old 07-24-2003, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seafarinman - write up what you can. It sounds like a lot of us are planning (dreaming?) to do this mod. I'm sure that, collectively, 4 or 5 wrenchers can put together a top-notch article with enough pictures to give my dial-up service a seizure. Ill be in touch when I can scrounge up the appropriate parts.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:11 AM

So I went to the junkyard today and found a 1990 taurus, but I couldn't tell if it was right or not.

1) How do I tell the engine is the 3.8 Liter V6?

2) There is only two wires coming out of the fan, so I how do I wire it for high speed or low speed. Shouldn't there be more than 2 wires if it was the correct fan?

Chris
Old 08-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
So I went to the junkyard today and found a 1990 taurus, but I couldn't tell if it was right or not.

1) How do I tell the engine is the 3.8 Liter V6?

2) There is only two wires coming out of the fan, so I how do I wire it for high speed or low speed. Shouldn't there be more than 2 wires if it was the correct fan?

Chris
OK Chris...sounds like you're closer than me.....we want....
Old 08-08-2003, 06:41 PM

I think I found one, and will know for sure tomorrow morning when they go out and take it out to make sure it has three wires, instead of the two that I found today.

Chris
Old 08-09-2003, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by seafarinman
Anyone know where to get 40A relays that are normally closed(So that energizing the relay opens the circuit instead of the normal relays~normally open)? I want to use these with the DPDT switch so that energizing one speed on the fan will disable the other speed.
You can acomplish that by running the relay coil contacts off of the DPDT switch. Low speed relay coil contact run to left side of the switch, switch center off, high speed relay coil contact run to right side of switch.
This will disable the relay for the speed you don't want running when switch is in the alternate position.
You will have to install and wire a seperate relay for the high speed and wire it. but I think that would be the easiest way to solve that problem.

Have I lost anyone yet? If you want e-mail me and I will draw something up for you. This kind of stuff is what I do @ work.

Brad

Quick Reply: Taurus Fan install complete