Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supra MAF in a S/C'd '96

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year Supra was the new MAF out of? I dont wanna get raped by the dealer for that part when i can get it from a supra in the junk yard.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gbennetto
What year Supra was the new MAF out of? I dont wanna get raped by the dealer for that part when i can get it from a supra in the junk yard.
Ummm... hmmm. I don't remember... But on a whim I took the part numbers from the first post and crammed them into Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

From the first hit, it looks like that number lives in a 93-98:

http://www.euroamericar.com/data/jap... 1993-1998.htm

"Air Flow Sensor w/ Turbo :: 93-98 :: 22250-46030"
Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 AM

MK4 Supra TT I used it and dynoed 10whp more then without it (with a piggyback of course)
Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 AM

Would this mod work on an 03 Taco w/ S/C and URD 7th injector Kit.. ???
Old 10-31-2007, 10:10 AM

Yes but please do a quick search about supra maf conversion (unless its stated in this thread) as earlier years were wired up the same as the supras but aparently in the newer years (i think it was 00+) there is 1 wire that needs to be swapped around.

REMEBER people that when you goto the larger maf you are ALSO going to have a lower reading at the ecu/piggyback even though the same amount of boost pressure/airflow is going through it. The ecu will see this and think there is LESS load on the engine and will advance timing, so with most piggybacks you should be able to PULL some timing to help keep things a bit safer. I ran my 96 Tacoma with stock timing and heard some detonation off the bat so be weary!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Weasy2k
Yes but please do a quick search about supra maf conversion (unless its stated in this thread) as earlier years were wired up the same as the supras but aparently in the newer years (i think it was 00+) there is 1 wire that needs to be swapped around.
Yeup... I have links at the bottom of the first post that talk about it in detail.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:57 AM

98 runner maf supra mod?

any "how to do's" for my 98' runner?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:29 AM

unplug stock maf....insert supra maf...plug in supra maf...

thats the summary...

You need to be creative in finding couplers that will adapter the maf to your stock intake piping. (Home Depot!)

but again make sure you have a piggyback!

Also i have not yet tested this upgrade on a n/a application mostly because i think it would not yield any results do to the fact that the airflow through the stock maf sensor is good enough
Old 10-31-2007, 04:15 PM

The MAF on my 03 Taco looks nothing like the 96 runner or the Supra..Mine is just a small sensor that sticks through the intake tube, post filter..

I dont see how it would work in this application.. Any thoughts..
Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mokai
The MAF on my 03 Taco looks nothing like the 96 runner or the Supra..Mine is just a small sensor that sticks through the intake tube, post filter..

I dont see how it would work in this application.. Any thoughts..
New intake design. It won't work on those, and it doesn't need an upgrade. My 02 4Runner with SCer works great and I have the same MAF as you (small device that plugs into the side of the air tube). Just make sure it's clean.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by midiwall
Okay, first off... If you're supercharged, you HAVE to do this mod. The difference is _incredible_.

Second off... The mod is PAINFULLY easy on a '96. It'll take you longer to get your tools out than it will to do the work.

Now... what IS this about?

Well, a lot as been written about replacing the stock MAF with one from a Supra, and I won't go into a lot of detail here, but the bottom line is that after you've done the deckplate mod, the ISR and maybe bored out your throttle body, then a new airflow bottleneck emerges - and that's the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor).

The stock MAF is "too small" when it comes to looking at the air flow that a supercharged setup can _require_ in order to provide all the boost that it can. If you starve the intake, then the S/C will be limited in the amount of boost that it can kick.

The old saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words", so... The stock MAF is on the left, the Supra MAF is on the right (click for larger pics):

Quite a difference... and the difference it makes in terms of what your right foot gives you is just as dramatic.

Like I said up top, the install is painfully easy on a '96. The hardest task you'll have is to find the right sized plumbing adapters to fit this to your intake tube (the MAF itself will fit into a '96 airbox _without_ modification). And as for the electrical...

...are ya' sitting down?

...really? You sure???

.... it's a direct plug in. There are _no_ wiring changes involved on a '96.

We're talking pull the connector off of the old MAF, pull the old MAF out of the intake path, pull the Supra MAF out of the box, fit the Supra MAF into the intake path, plug the original connector into the Supra MAF, reset the ECU and... fire it up.

Write-ups for other model years talk about havinig to juggle the middle 3 wires, and truth-be-told, I did that before trying to fire the engine. But in the end, troubleshooting why the engine would try to start, but not run, cost me a good 20-30 minutes.

I finally wondered (out loud to myself!) "what if...". So I hooked up the wires in the stock configuration and... WHAM! She started right up.

Driving it... WOW.

Okay, I've always had a "lump" in acceleration. Something that I'd attributed to things needing to be tuned a bit closer, or my needing to keep things like the air filter (or MAF!) cleaner - and doing those things _did_ help. But, even in just backing out of the driveway with the new MAF, I knew things were different. Finding a nice straight path got a grin going; finding a place to play at highway speeds got a _SMILE_ going!

The acceleration is _glass smooth_ from stomping on it to redline. Cruising at 60mph and then kicking it brings up redline a _LOT_ quicker than it used to. There's more power up top, and the power is "cleaner". It's hard to describe... If you're S/C'd now, then you know that things can sound a bit "strained" up top - not any more. It's like if you remove a piece of gauze from in front of your face, you can see a lot better. Well, now you can tell the S/C can breath a lot better.

Honestly, I didn't expect this much of a difference. It's VERY cool.

Bottom line... if you're S/C'd then you need to do this mod. BUT!!! Remember that since you'll be sucking more air, you'll need to be able to burn more fuel. The stock ECU will _NOT_ be able to handle this (and you shouldn't be running the stock ECU setup anyway!!!!). I don't know if the 7th injector system will be able to either. In my opinion, you will HAVE to be running something like an SMT or FTC module in order to make this happen. To make up for the added air, I had to crank up my SMT quite a bit in terms of global fuel delivery.

Whew... YAY!

The MAF is Toyota part #22250-46030, NipponDenso #197400-0010.

Other references:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/supra-maf-works-newer-trucks-33185/

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...1&page=2&pp=30

what about #22250-46030, nippondenso # 197400-0011? i found one for a good price and everything matches except for that last number. what is the difference?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 PM

This is great info thanks
Old 08-25-2012, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys, i got my supra maf, the other day and apparently neglected to read that i will be in need of a ftc1. i am supercharger (obviously) 2.1 pulley and methanol injection. i see that there are several options for mac calibration and that the ftc1 is the most common so basically i am asking what all of you think would fit me best and that i would get the most out of?

also, my truck is a 3.4 swap into 1990 toyota pickup so i am kind of worried about electronics. I'm figuring I'm running the simplest form of this motor as far as electrical there is so I'm wondering if there is basically a guarantee that this ftc1 or whatever you guys may suggest will actually fit?