Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering Stabilzer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Stabilzer?

I've been wondering about this for a while now and have been reading quite a bit about these. Do second gen 4Runners (a 1991 in particular ) have a steering Stabilzer? And is it really worth the $50 to get a new one? I've read that some people run Rancho ones, others run Old Man Emu. To be honest I don't know which one I should get if I should get one at all.

Any help on this would be much appreciated, because I'm going to the desert with my friends this weekend, and was hoping that if It would make a difference that I would go out and get a steering stabilzer today, and install it tonight or tommorow.

Thanks

-Braden
Old 10-31-2002, 12:38 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Your 2nd gen does have one.
When I went to put my Rancho on, the factory one was leaking and weak.

Do not buy the Rancho one.
It requires new brackets, and I wish I had known about the OME one, and I would have got it.

Buy the Old Man Emu one, or the Doetch Tech (spelling) one.
They both mount to the stock bracketry.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:42 PM

Awesome thanks for yet another quick reply Corey

I was kind of leaning away from the Rancho one, simply because of my bad experience with my Rancho 9000s I'm hoping that one of my local Offroad shops has either the OME of the Doetch Tech (I think that is how you spell it )
stabilzers if not i'll just order one online somewhere and stick with my stock one this weekend.

Thanks Again!

-Braden
Old 10-31-2002, 04:15 PM

I put a Rancho s.s. on my 92 p/u. I noticed a little diffrence. If you go with Rancho it will give you two stabilizers total. It costs about 75 for the shock and mounting brackets. It took me about 15 mins. to install. Real easy setup! Check my write up out- http://bb.wildyoats.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=335

Last edited by Korrupted; 10-31-2002 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Hey all,
I have a dumb question. What's a steering stabilizer and what does it do? I've heard it mentioned a few other times, but havn't figured it out.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 10-31-2002, 06:32 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
No question is dumb
The steering stab helps return your tires to the center position again after going over a bump.

Most who put on huge tires run beefier ones, or even double ones.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:24 PM

I have heard that the OME stabilizers are BY FAR the best to get and require no brackets. I am actually going to do this mod in the next week or so, let me know what you went with and how you like it.
I have heard that Black Diamond/WARN stabilizers are good also. I saw on a couple of web pages that the Doetsch (sp) shocks are more vulnerable to wear than the OME's.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

So, is that what looks like one or two horizontally mounted shocks located about in the middle of the front axle? I've seen this on some lifted trucks. Never noticed it on my 4runner, but I've never really looked for it either. Thanks for the clarification.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 10-31-2002, 07:36 PM

i think my steering stabilizer is busted. i have a rancho stabilizer and the steering feels a bit different now. i check it out visually, and then i was trying to move the can with my hand. the can started to turn... its not supposed to do that is it ????
Old 10-31-2002, 08:05 PM

I'm probably going to go with the OME Steering Stabalizer... Now I just need to find a place to buy it from I called a couple of shops around where I live, and none of them carry any Old Man Emu products :mad:

Anyone know a good shop online that has the steering stablizers? I've checked most of the sites that I usually goto (Performanceproducts.com , 4wheelparts.com , central4wd.com , etc...) but couldn't find them

-Braden
Old 10-31-2002, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4x4 Connection for OME

I have one and it does a good job with my 33's

On the install, heat it and beat it. A pickle fork helps.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by 91Runner
I'm probably going to go with the OME Steering Stabalizer... Now I just need to find a place to buy it from I called a couple of shops around where I live, and none of them carry any Old Man Emu products :mad:

Anyone know a good shop online that has the steering stablizers? I've checked most of the sites that I usually goto (Performanceproducts.com , 4wheelparts.com , central4wd.com , etc...) but couldn't find them

-Braden
Have you noticed that OME is not too popular here in San Diego? I hardly ever see shops selling their stuff. I do think that offroad warehouse may carry their full line so you might want to give them a call.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:54 PM

Yeah since i've been getting into working on my truck, and offroading the past couple of years, I've never seen any Old Man Emu stuff anywhere around here :mad: If I could find it around here, I would probably have full OME Suspension on my truck right now (hehe okay well maybe i'd still have Bilsteins ) because i've heard such good things about them.

ORW was the first place I called (same place I bought my Bilsteins and where i Had them installed) and they guy I talked to said that he wasn't sure if they could order them for me or not, and told me to check some online shops. So I think i'm going to drive over there tommorow to see if they have them, or if they can order one for me, because the guy I talked to on the phone I think was new, because I had never heard his name before, so he may just not of known

-Braden
Old 10-31-2002, 09:07 PM

Yea, it might actually be cheaper to just get them online. If you order them from out of state then there is no sales tax either, but the down side is shipping.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Corey
No question is dumb
The steering stab helps return your tires to the center position again after going over a bump.

Most who put on huge tires run beefier ones, or even double ones.
Well, sort of...the stabilizer is basically a damper or shock, just like what you have on the axles. The only difference is that the damping in both directions is equal. By definition a damper resists speed, so the faster you try to push on it the harder it pushes back. That's why when you try to turn the steering wheel real fast with an aftermarket stabilizer attached, the stabilizer will stop you until the pressure in the stabilizer equilibriates.

So it slows down your steering and effectively makes steering feel heavier. The advantages are better handling in the wind, possibly better tire wear, more safety if you have a blow out, etc. Since the stabilizer resists movement, a gust of wind will have less effect, a bump will not move the steering linkage as much, and a blow out will be resisted more. So in the sense that the linkage will not move as much, the stabilizer will help the steering return to center.

Really, the only thing that returns the steering to center is caster. It does that because when you turn the steering wheel you lift the vehicle with the tires. Since the gravity pulls the vehicle back down, the steering wants to return to center.

Steve
Old 10-31-2002, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DH6twinotter, yes, those are the steering stabilizers.

Joshik, you mean you can rotate the can? I don't think that means anything. I mean, you can rotate your normal shocks and they're fundamentally the same thing. My guess is if the stabilizer is out then you would see oil leaking, at least that's how I knew I needed new shocks.

For those of you who removed your stock steering stabilizer, did you remove ityourself? I've heard you need a special tool to get it off. When I installed my rancho stabilizer, I just kept the original installed. I immediately noticed heavier steering and my dad said the runner handled much better when passing big rigs on the freeway. That's why I originally got the SS, because my dad thought it was dangerous passing the big rigs with all the wind buffeting the truck.

Steve
Old 11-01-2002, 09:34 AM

this is how my stablilizer spins...

its supposed to do that?
Old 11-01-2002, 09:38 AM

oh also, i called my 4x4 store (4x4Land) for the OME stablizer, it costs $44. they have them in stock toO!
Old 11-01-2002, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Oh, darn. You all have me wanting another upgrade!
At least it a cheap one! Is installation pretty easy?

It seems like my 4Runner really gets blown around in the wind. I noticed that the wheel turns pretty good when I hit a bump too (is that called bump steer?) Sounds like a steering stabilizer will help that. Sweet!

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 11-01-2002, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

I had an OME suspensionn upgrade installed that included springs, shocks, and a steering stabilizer. I love it so far.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilzer?