Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Speedhut Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Billrunner
how much of a pain in the arse is it to install without frigging up the whole deal? I am afraid of messing with japanese electronics cuz they work forever.
:chicken:
It's a very simple install. You don't even have to remove the gauge needles like you do on some of the other companies gauges. The speedhut ones just slide right on. No danger of damaging the electronics.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:10 PM

Only 2 more needed for the indiglos...

So....basically....maybe next summer
Old 11-20-2003, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

I think I am going to add my name to the list. One quick question though, what is the difference in the standard inverter and the upgraded inverter? It said something about more light output.
Where do you think we'll get the other person from......Later.

Matt
Old 11-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Guys,
Here's a few more questions before I commit to the order. The indiglos that I am interested in are the midnight blue face. I'm not sure how some of the stock lights on the instrument panel will show up once the blue indiglos are installed. Someone please help fill in these blanks....

Light Current Color New Color
Battery Red ????
Check Engine Orange ????
Needles Orange ????
Turn Signals Green ????
Gear Indicator Green ????
Odometer Green ????

Thanks guys. Hopefully we can get this thing rolling. Later.

Matt
Old 11-20-2003, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're talking about the dummy lights. They'll all stay the same. Only the actual gauges will be changed. Needles will stay the same. You slip the new gauges over the needles and lay on top of the origional gauges.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:07 PM

Matt:

I think the gauges and any stock lights will look fine. I have to turn down my current "regular" indiglos because they are too bright and distracting while driving. The only difference between the 2 invertors are the way you adjust the light. The "upgraded" one is alittle smaller and "glows". They have details and pics on their site when you click on the invertor option. I have the regular invertor and it works just fine. Now add your name to the list

Paul
Old 11-20-2003, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Could I paint the needles white and not screw them up or mess up the calibration? I'm not too wild about having blue gauges and orange needles.

Matt
Old 11-20-2003, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by LSUMatt1514
Could I paint the needles white and not screw them up or mess up the calibration? I'm not too wild about having blue gauges and orange needles.

Matt
If I say yes you can, will you order the gauges? If so, yes, that will work. Actually I'm not really sure...hopefully someone who knows a little more about it will chime in. As for the rest of the lights, there are numerous members on the board who have changed every single light on their dashboard to be the same color. I know there's a very recent thread by someone who made them all blue. The lights matching really isn't an issue because you can buy some little colored bulbs and make them whatever color you want. Now, order the gauges so we can be that much closer. It's killing me to be this close to actually having the the things.

Last edited by hell_on_ice; 11-20-2003 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:13 AM
DuB

As for the white needles, it's possible, and I did it. I used 600 grit sandpaper to sand off the yellow from the back, and then painted them with whiteout Whiteout w/ the foam brush applicator works pretty well The process is really easy to do.

If anyone can answer my question above, I'll be the final 20th one to start the tooling

"pfdaxe, do you remember how off the tach and speedo ticks were? I figure I can do some ghetto rigging on the back to get the warning lights to light up correctly. And cut another rectangular hole for the odometer. other than that, it should work!"

I'm tempted to just get them because it looks pretty close, and I figure if it's off, it'd probably be like switching from 31" to 32" tires
Old 11-22-2003, 07:02 AM

You're kidding. Whiteout? How does it look?
Old 11-22-2003, 08:46 AM

Dub:

If I can recall, the speedo hashes were just a few MPH off and the tach was about 1-200 RPMs off. I don't believe you can cut a hole for odometer since the EL panel usually covers the back of the whole gauge. You may want to email or call Speed hut on that one.

Paul
Old 11-25-2003, 03:48 AM
DuB

Thanks Paul!

Well, I guess it won't be too bad. No problem being 200 rpm off. I can tell that around 10 mph, it's going to be a little off, and if it's off elsewhere, it can't be too much worse than regearing or getting bigger tires

If the gauges are like Procarparts' gauges, I believe that I might be able to do it. I emailed them before about the same problem, and I just emailed them now about it, but I doubt they're going to respond because as a company, they can't give me their "word" that it is possible, even though I said that they don't have to and that I just want to know if it "might" be possible. Oh well, we'll see.

I guess my other solution is to go get some crazy vinyl sticker done in black to tape over the procarparts gauges, but I doubt I can position them accurately enough...
Old 11-25-2003, 03:53 AM

Is procarparts.com a good place to order from?
Old 11-26-2003, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

I was contemplating ordering a second set and selling it on eBay just to move it along. If someone else is interested in doing the same, then I'll do it and we can be at 20 orders.

Also does anyone have the TRD picture they used for the custom logo? I can't make the type of file they want, if someone could send me theirs I'd be eternally greatful.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:14 AM

T. Punk, that's a very good idea. Only I don't have the dough to do it. I see you have an Injen Cold Air Intake. What's the word on that. Good, bad, great, etc?
Old 11-26-2003, 02:00 PM

City:

I use to have the Injen intake. It looked good and worked good with the n/a motor. I took it off when I added the s/c. When I add the fuel mods, an aftermarket intake will go back on.

Paul
Old 11-26-2003, 02:09 PM

Someone mentioned that these are for auto-tranny's only. Will they not work with the manual? What's different? I will order a set if you guys can confirm that they will work with my manual dash setup.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:22 PM

I know there is a differance between the auto and stick gauge faces with the '96-'98 Runners. But, they should be the same for the '99-'02 whether auto or stick.

Comments anyone??
Old 11-27-2003, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

That's right about the gauges. Only difference b/w manual and auto in 99-02 gauges is the gear selector which is below the actual gauges, and it's not included in the kit so it will work for both.

The Injen is awesome in my opinion. I would take that over an exhaust any day. I know the deckplate does the same thing, but I like the wow factor when you pop the hood. I'm not all about doing things cheaply. For me it was worth the $125 or so, to some it's not. I give it

Hopefully someone can come up with the money for a second set of gauges. And remember that you'll get it back when you sell it, so it's only a temporary loss.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:27 AM

Ok fellas, we just need one more.

Quick Reply: Speedhut Gauges