95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: What do you think?
It can be patched.
43.07%
Buy a new replacement tire.
13.14%
Try to find a used replacement tire.
11.68%
Buy a new set of Revos which includes a $50 mail-in rebate.
32.12%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

So I picked up a little road debris today...(pic)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 10:44 PM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shank of a bolt is a hole worth patching. The head of a bolt hole on the other hand is a hole worth finding a used replacement tire. Of course if you had a spare tire that matched the size of the rest of your tires and you followed a proper rotation schedule this would all be a non-issue.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MODZILLA
The shank of a bolt is a hole worth patching. The head of a bolt hole on the other hand is a hole worth finding a used replacement tire.
truer words have never been spoken...
Old 09-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
Another mail box lost its life I take it. WTG. lol jk

voted for new revo's
Nope, no more mail boxes for me. That one time is the only time I've hit something. All because of my stupid tax papers...

Actually I was driving in a straight line down the road and my front tire didn't pick it up. I heard it get picked up but the sound went away. I wasn't until I got to the bus stop that I heard the hissing. So after class I put my spare on which luckily had 7.5 lbs of pressure in it...just enough to drive to the gas station.

And yeah, it's a bolt that's stuck in there. I haven't seen any BFG Long Trail TAs for sale so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to find an exact match. Hopefully I can but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like to have the new Revos but being the poor college student I am, it would mean a nice hit to my savings. Tire Rack has the regular ATs for $99 a piece plus the $50 rebate...that sounds kind of tempting. I'm just not sure if the Revos are worth an extra $100.

I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Old 09-04-2004, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

what size long trails are you looking for?

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
Nope, no more mail boxes for me. That one time is the only time I've hit something. All because of my stupid tax papers...

Actually I was driving in a straight line down the road and my front tire didn't pick it up. I heard it get picked up but the sound went away. I wasn't until I got to the bus stop that I heard the hissing. So after class I put my spare on which luckily had 7.5 lbs of pressure in it...just enough to drive to the gas station.

And yeah, it's a bolt that's stuck in there. I haven't seen any BFG Long Trail TAs for sale so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to find an exact match. Hopefully I can but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like to have the new Revos but being the poor college student I am, it would mean a nice hit to my savings. Tire Rack has the regular ATs for $99 a piece plus the $50 rebate...that sounds kind of tempting. I'm just not sure if the Revos are worth an extra $100.

I'll let you guys know what I find out.

i just happen to have a set available, they are 235 75r/15 with approx. 5k on them. im in ontario canada though, $75 ea + shipping sound reasonable? let me know.

lee
Old 09-04-2004, 06:05 AM

Plug that sucka!!!

Plug that sucka and use it for a spare till your others are worn and you need new tires. Tha'ts not all that bad. If we can drive 6-7 hours from the trail to get home one this... (16 plugs!!!) I'm sure yurz iz fixable for a spare.

BTW: We had 5 tires and 2 got torn sidewalls on the trip. This one was the better of the 2.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by SloPoke
If I were to be driving down the highway and looked over to see that thing on your tire I would quickly pull over in hopes it blows out when you leave the roadway and not next to a rig. That is scary that people patch crap like that and actually drive on the road. I would not even feel safe using it as a spare getting from the trail to home (12 miles)
Old 09-04-2004, 10:26 AM

Thumbs up

If you can plug it. Do it. I've had pluged or patched tires many times and have preformed this on similar punctures. Never had one blow up and send me rolling 14 times. That is what patches and plugs are made for take it in and see what they say.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by deznoches
If you can plug it. Do it. I've had pluged or patched tires many times and have preformed this on similar punctures. Never had one blow up and send me rolling 14 times. That is what patches and plugs are made for take it in and see what they say.
Deznoches forgot to PLEASE let us know which shop will repair a torn side wall on a tire and release it to a customer as road worthy safety equiptment. I ask that you PLEASE tell us so I know which shops to not go to. Scary stuff!
Old 09-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

I went to Discount Tire and the patch is a no go. They broke it down and he said the hole was just too big. So now I think I'm going to try plugging it and see what that will do. I don't really want to drop $500 on new tires but I may end up having to do it. I've been pondering the BFGs too so now I have some thinking to do.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:38 PM

all of your SCARCASM asside!

From the picture posted it sure didn't look like the puncture was in the sidewall. It was in the tread. I'm sure that most service stations with a repair shop still do tire plugs and the occasaional tire store might be able to help you out. :pat:

Last edited by deznoches; 09-04-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:40 PM

I went to Discount Tire and the patch is a no go. They broke it down and he said the hole was just too big.
Really? How wierd they would say that! JimaBena74 that was for you btw. lol I feel like we should be chanting "told yuh so told yuh so neener neener neener!

But I wont.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:42 PM

From the picture posted it sure didn't look like the puncture was in the sidewall. It was in the tread. I'm sure that most service stations with a repair shop still do tire plugs and the occasaional tire store might be able to help you out. :pat:
Post #26 clearly shows a side wall puncture. Or ummm was that sarcasm?
Old 09-04-2004, 12:53 PM

AgRunner06, the bolt/nail that is stuck in there did not file off any rubber. Let me say this again, you have not lost any rubber material. When you pull that thing out you will be pleasantly surprised by the properties of rubber, the hole will contract. You will even have to enlarge the hole to fit a plug in there. A plugging kit is 5-10$ at any auto parts store. Places that plug tires do no hire college graduates as this particular task can be done by anybody, even a skilled hand is not required. Then keep the kit inside the vehicle as it will come with at least half a dozen self-vulcanizing plugs.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:04 PM

Talking

Post #26 clearly shows a side wall puncture. Or ummm was that sarcasm?
Unfortunatlly Big Bad Blue, that is NOT the tire we are talking about. The picture you are refering to was NOT posted by the person asking the question. It might be real easy for you to run right out and buy a new set of offroad tires at the dorp of a hat, but the individual is a student and we don't usually have a lot of money!!!!!
Old 09-04-2004, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
Places that plug tires do no hire college graduates as this particular task can be done by anybody, even a skilled hand is not required.
So what are you implying as to the knowledge of those that have or currently do this line of work?
Old 09-04-2004, 01:12 PM

Unfortunatlly Big Bad Blue, that is NOT the tire we are talking about. The picture you are refering to was NOT posted by the person asking the question. It might be real easy for you to run right out and buy a new set of offroad tires at the dorp of a hat, but the individual is a student and we don't usually have a lot of money!!!!!
Well it was the tire I had quoted on just prior to one of your replies. I mis posted getting mixed up in what you were talking about. My bad. I never said I could go out and purchase new offroad tires at the "dorp" of a hat. I understand that he can not afford that now. I guess that option should not have been made an option in the poll.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

I never said I could go out and purchase new offroad tires at the "dorp" of a hat. I understand that he can not afford that now. I guess that option should not have been made an option in the poll.
See that's where you are wrong. I can easily afford (without credit) to buy a new set of tires. It's just that I really don't want to since I don't have the income of a full time job. You never know when unexpected expenses may arise.

So what are you implying as to the knowledge of those that have or currently do this line of work?
Was this statement really necessary? He was just trying to imply the ease of plugging a tire.

I'll probably mess with it some more tomorrow. I need to do some studying plus it's now raining outside.

:bounce2:
Old 09-04-2004, 02:01 PM

See that's where you are wrong. I can easily afford (without credit) to buy a new set of tires. It's just that I really don't want to since I don't have the income of a full time job. You never know when unexpected expenses may arise.
My bad. I took Desnoches's assumption (deznoches Quote:
It might be real easy for you to run right out and buy a new set of offroad tires at the dorp of a hat, but the individual is a student and we don't usually have a lot of money!!!!!) to mean you were lacking funds but he was speaking in general I guess

Was this statement really necessary? He was just trying to imply the ease of plugging a tire.
I would like to think so. I use to work in the tire tech field and learned a lot.
:bounce2:
Hope your repair works out okay.

Last edited by Yoter; 09-04-2004 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:38 PM

I work at a tire store and I am also in my third year of college. The fact that I work at a tire store has nothing to do with my mental capicity. Like previously stated there are regulations that we must follow, and these regulations are set forth for your safety.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95red4runner
I work at a tire store and I am also in my third year of college. The fact that I work at a tire store has nothing to do with my mental capicity. Like previously stated there are regulations that we must follow, and these regulations are set forth for your safety.
yup, and also to cover our butts in case of an accidnet of us repairing a potentially unsafe tire.... although the rubber damage may be small, the rubber isnt the part you should be worried about, small holes are fine, but when it starts getting bigger, it damages or tears away at the belting of the tire, this when reinflated will probably hold air, but might blow up, or seperate later down the line, and that is a chance that a trie company wont take

Quick Reply: So I picked up a little road debris today...(pic)