Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Snow Chain Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by hypnotoad
Since when do you need traction with steering? Steering only points the car, traction is needed on the power wheels. Now, when you have 4WD like all of us, it's a little hazy but having fishtailed enough I'd vote for chains on the rear.
Of course you would want traction while you're steering. The vehicle won't go where you're pointing it if the front tires don't have traction. Otherwise inertia just keeps you going in the same straight line. I don't claim to know where the chains are best put, though. seems like you would want them on the front for climbing, and on the rear for decending.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 11-06-2003 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by ewarnerusa
Of course you would want traction while you're steering. The vehicle won't go where you're pointing it if the front tires don't have traction. Otherwise inertia just keeps you going in the same straight line. I don't claim to know where the chains are best put, though. seems like you would want them on the front for climbing, and on the rear for decending.
ok - I was being flip. You need some traction on the front, but you want the rear to bite. If your power wheels can't move you forward, there's nothing to steer!
Old 11-06-2003, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

I'm searching for a good answer now, because I've got burly chains that I've never had to use. But I want to have to use them.... hahaha. This site says put them on the rear. it sounds like fishtailing is a bigger concern than the steering traction. I suppose if the conditions are bad enough that you need chains, then you'll be driving slow enough to steer.

http://www.vulcantire.com/chainfaq.htm#A5
Old 11-06-2003, 08:33 AM

You need some traction on the front, but you want the rear to bite. If your power wheels can't move you forward, there's nothing to steer!
This is very true. Also, when you are going up hill the weight of the vehicle is transfered to the rear wheels anyway. This is the problem with front drive cars. I've seen front drive cars get stuck going up hills in the snow. I helped this one lady get to her house by turning her car around and driving backwards up a hill. The only reason I knew this was I've had to do the same in my mom's minivan many times. Front wheel drive just sucks in the snow unless its level ground.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

ha ha, front wheel drive kicks ass in the snow. sure i used to have a 2wd toy pickup and i could spank 4x4 suvs on mountain passes, but it still sucked!! i definately did not have any weight in the rear just because i was going up hills. as far as the backend being lose, hey if you cant control it you need chains on all four wheels. les schwabb cant even sell a pair of studs anymore because theyve been sued for not making people stud all four tires, because people wrecked and blamed it on them. fact is you watched three people wreck with chains, it wasnt the chains fault, its the drivers.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:17 PM

Rear only, trust me they will hit the steeing componenets with 33's and that aint a pretty sight. I know from experience. Oh yeah and odnt get those special Z cable things, i hated them. They say they are easier to get on, but it sure didnt work for me.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:24 PM

runnerboy97, It won't be much longer untill it looks like that here. Good point on those Z chains; those tangle really bad. It seems like those little tubes on the cable would slip also. How do those MTR's work in the snow? I may get those after my BFG AT KO's wear out.
I have those "special" chains that have "teeth". They hold great even on ice, but add another 1" to the total diameter.
I use a bungee or two criss-crossed to tighten slack on the outside of the tire.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any problem with the ABS when using the non-Z chains? I've heard abs goes crazy if you don't use the Z chains, but that was from my uncle who knows nothing about cars.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:26 PM

highland runner- the mtr'd did awesome in the nice soft deep snow. In the slicker more icy surfaces i didnt like tham as uch as my michelins. As long as you air down a bit they are fine though.
I have run both the Z cables and a set of regular straight across chains on my 4runner. The regular chains are a little rougher to ride around on. But i never had a problem with abs.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:55 PM

What about the straight across cables? I'm going to look at my front end tonight with the wheels completely turned. I don't think I'd have any problems running chains up front. From what it looks like, I doubt the chains would ever come in contact with the steering components.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:01 PM

the straight across cables might work, cause they are probably a lower profile. I dont remember exactly why i didnt get some, i think it was casue the couldnt get them in my size. Oh well. good luck, its woth a try.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:51 AM

Straight across chains should work. I've had them on the front of mine with the stock 31's. One thing to remember is to pull the slack with bungees to the outside of the tire. Don't tighten the inside chain all the way and pull eveything to the outside. This will keep chains off the steering components. Unless the snow is REALLY deep I only use rear chains though.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:21 AM

with stock size tire chains up front are ok. But if yu havent driven with 4 chains before its fun, it like driving a tank, you have soo much more pull. I am running 285/75 tires, and have barely enough clearance as iti is at full turn, so they hit.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:39 AM

Just buy some cheap chains to show the CHP. Drive smart in 4-HI w/ center locked and you will never need them. I have driven many times in 12-16 inches (breaking trail) with no problems. And with BFG AT's.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I will try to at least give some input as to whether to lock the center diff or run the center diff open (basically AWD I assume). I had a 95 AWD eagle talon before I picked up my 99 Limited yesterday, so I have had a good deal of experience with the AWD vs. 4WD. I've driven 1st and 2nd gen 4runners in the snow and ice as well. First I would say lock the center diff. The reason I say this is because I hate ABS in the snow, and this will keep you from locking your wheels (usually fronts) before all 4 start to lock up, and thus (at least in my experiences) keep your ABS from going stupid, and allow you to slow much quicker. It was amazing how horrible it was on my car when the fronts would lock up when i'd hit the brakes, and the car would skid like crazy as the ABS would kick in. So, since I had no way to lock the center diff on the car, I would just throw it down a gear or two if i needed to slow the car faster. Sort of like trying to stop your 4wd quickly in a slick situation when it's in 2wd instead of 4. That being said, I'm not sure what kind of ABS system these 4Runners have. Does the ABS kick off when in 4wd? Or only in 4wheel low? Or at all? I honestly don't know why toyota put the 4wd button on the Limited's. Does anyone else?

I don't have chains either. If the snow's not dragging under the bottom of the truck, and you have some decent tires, you should be alright, if you're sticking to the roads. I also advise using the cables if you're planning to run at high speed, i hear these are much easier on your suspension components. I also agree with putting the chains on the back. I can only imagine how brutal it must feel (and how much worse you must be thinking it actually is) to run them on your steering wheels.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:55 AM

My99,
My wife just got a 99 Limited. Does putting it in 4 low turn off the ABS? I hate ABS in the snow/ice. We had to leave her 98 on the side of the road for 2 days because the ABS wouldn't allow her to go downhill without turnig off the brakes. I drove down in front of her in my 94 (same tires) with no problems at all. I got in her car tried to go down and no brakes; I just got going faster and faster. I also had problems in 2 of my company's vehicles doing the same type of thing.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris, I'm honestly not sure if ABS will be disabled when in low 4. That's why I was kinda asking, I'm sure someone knows. However, if your ABS is causing you such trouble in the snow and ice (it did me when I drove my talon) I would just put the runner in low 4, 1st gear and just let off the brakes. The engine compression should keep it slowed enough to descend the hill i would think. Another trick I had with my old eagle talon is to pull the ABS fuse from the fuse box and problem would be solved.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

snow chains on the front

Here's a response from scc-chain.com when I asked which tires to put chains on a 4WD if I only have one pair.

Thanks Ed for your inquiry.

If you are only going to by one pair we suggest that you put them on the
front because you have both power and steering. Always refer to your owners
manual to see what is says about chains for your vehicle.
I also saw a toyota this weekend when we were off-roading in the snow that was loaded in the truck bed with lumber, and chains on the front tires. I think I'm going to vote for the front tires, even though I seem to be in the minority here... I think that if a person is in a situation with a 4WD beast like a Toyota where they actually need chains, it will not be on a road. It will be through deep soft snow on a trail where fishtailing is not an issue. The Toyota in 4WD should be more than fine for ANY road conditions and no chains are necessary.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 11-12-2003 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:11 PM

Here's what I've come to conclude while up in the mountains doing some 4x4ing.

If you're going "off-road" as in off pavement put them in the front. A perfect example of this would be deep snow. You want to pull through deep snow, having them in the front accomplishes this. If you put them in the rear, you are going to be pushing your front tires into the snow.

On road, put them in the rear. More than likely the roads won't have more than a foot of snow on them. You also will be traveling at a higher speed. Since that's the case, if they were in the front and for whatever reason you had to stop quickly, your back end would want to keep moving forward and you would spin out. With them on the rear, it isn't impossible to do that, but it's much less likely.

In the end it really comes down to what you feel is comfortable. Some like it in the front, some in the rear. (shame on you people who read that and think something dirty)
Old 11-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by oly884
Here's what I've come to conclude while up in the mountains doing some 4x4ing.

If you're going "off-road" as in off pavement put them in the front. A perfect example of this would be deep snow. You want to pull through deep snow, having them in the front accomplishes this. If you put them in the rear, you are going to be pushing your front tires into the snow.

On road, put them in the rear. More than likely the roads won't have more than a foot of snow on them. You also will be traveling at a higher speed. Since that's the case, if they were in the front and for whatever reason you had to stop quickly, your back end would want to keep moving forward and you would spin out. With them on the rear, it isn't impossible to do that, but it's much less likely.
excellent logic. I see that MSU is cultivating your mind well.... See you up at Bridger, look for my green Taco in the parking lot. probably a dog or two in the back.

Quick Reply: Snow Chain Questions...