Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the risk of sounding like an old fart, and while appreciating the air of pseudo-responsibility of these posts, I hope I never encounter any of you on the road.

I've had plenty of fun in my Tacomas without ever placing myself, passengers, pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists, snowmobilers, pets, or any other personal property at risk. If I ever see someone slide off the road while/after driving like this, I will likely continue past, leaving them to deal with digging themselves out.

I hope this is a small percentage of yotatech members that condone this kind of behavior. For those that do - please exercise every bit of responsibility, and take every precaution necessary to ensure that you are the sole individual at risk for injury. These situations open the doors for lawsuits wide open, and you will likely find few that would be sympathetic to your cause should something go wrong.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hehe the e-locker and slick stuff is sooo much fun will spin you around in a hurry
Old 01-31-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jdsdj98
At the risk of sounding like an old fart, and while appreciating the air of pseudo-responsibility of these posts, I hope I never encounter any of you on the road.
Hopefully I can say this without opening a rather off-topic debate, but wouldn't you feel more comfortable driving near people who are familiar with the sliding characteristis of their vehicles?

I've had plenty of fun in my Tacomas without ever placing myself, passengers, pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists, snowmobilers, pets, or any other personal property at risk. If I ever see someone slide off the road while/after driving like this, I will likely continue past, leaving them to deal with digging themselves out.

I hope this is a small percentage of yotatech members that condone this kind of behavior.
This strikes me as a bit condescending. I don't think it was meant to be, and I don't think you're the one yelling at kids to get off your lawn, but when I read it, it said to me "I have more fun than you in a more responsible manner, and I'm better and more mature than you for it." It seems almost as if you're basing your argument on the idea that losing traction is invariably reckless and implies no control, which I heartily disagree with. Maybe you don't think it's fun, but that obviously doesn't mean others don't find it fun, and it certainly doesn't mean that it's a reckless, hooligan act.

For those that do - please exercise every bit of responsibility, and take every precaution necessary to ensure that you are the sole individual at risk for injury. These situations open the doors for lawsuits wide open, and you will likely find few that would be sympathetic to your cause should something go wrong.
Fair enough.

I partake in some winter sliding whenever I can, which is fairly often here in SLC, but I don't feel I've ever been putting myself, any passengers, anyone, or anything around me at risk. Just yesterday the car in front of me stopped at a redlight rammed the SUV in front of it without warning. Any time you're on the road you're at risk, but it's my opinion that people having fun in reduced traction conditions pose much less of a threat than the rest of the people on the road.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Hopefully I can say this without opening a rather off-topic debate, but wouldn't you feel more comfortable driving near people who are familiar with the sliding characteristics of their vehicles?"
I would just like to add that I completely agree. All of my friends like to slide around many turns during the winter, most are careful about the other cars on the road. And I would rather drive with them, because they realize what roads are like when they are snowy. And none of them have a dent in their vehicles, but many people that are very careful have crashed multiple times before.

I don't want to steal this thread from dairyjato so I'll leave it at that.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by dairyjato
I know this is't a tech. question but i have to know. Am i the only guy who when it snows has to try and get slideways on almost every stop and turn, ahhh who am i kidding every chance you get i dont do it around other cars and stuff but parking lots, side streets, ect. i think i have a problem with this but my 4runner is so much fun.does anyone else do this?
I had this problem when I was 16. I've long since gotten over it. Grow up and don't kill someone in the process of doing so.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:52 AM

i'm the same way, my gf says i'm like a little kid because all i want to do is play in the snow

even if i'm going down a strait road, i'll put it in 2wd and lock the rear diff and fishtail all the way down it