Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Simple Horn Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
somebody has a proceedure, will hang
Still hangin. Have a few mods that have been lying around for a few months, gonna try to get them installed before winter. This includes the horns. Was reminded since I really never use the horns unless they are well deserved, and damn if this corolla didn't deserve a lot more volume than I have now. Any proceedure on how to wire BOTH would be great.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Are you saying that your year 4Runner has two leads coming to your stock horn? If so I would wire the positive to the "new" horn, and forget the negative lead. If that does not work, then take the negative and use some sort of ground wire from the bolt-on location, to the neg lead.

I think the only time you would need a relay is if the horn honks continuously when wired. In that case see Corey's write up in the Tech Section to see how he incorporated the relay.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

wire the positive to the "new" horn, and forget the negative lead.
That would work with one horn, which is still better, but am trying to get both horns on the same circuit, either serial parallel or something else. The trick is that the minivan had a wire for each horn, so...
  • Should I simply split my incoming positive, bolt/ground both horns normally and leave the former neg unconnected?
  • Wire Pos to horn A pos, and ground it to the horn B's pos, then ground horn B normally?
  • Add some kinda hardware to amp/split/fanagle/jerry rig
  • Other?
Old 09-16-2003, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by dajabr
[list][*]Should I simply split my incoming positive, bolt/ground both horns normally and leave the former neg unconnected?
That is what I would do.
When I replaced my horns, the original wiring came to the positive on the horn (2000 Model). The connector at the horn had one in (to that horn) and another wire leaving the connector to the other horn. Just a daisy chain affair. All I had to do was replace the clips so that they would fit the spade connector on the horn itself. Those horns were grounded by bolting them down.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

I bought these... wonder if they are any good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2437364957

P_W_T: Did you end up having any luck with your Cadillac horns?

~castrol
Old 10-15-2003, 01:43 PM

Wow, I completely forgot about this thread...

With the cadillac horns, here's the story:

Bought two of the three horns out of an 87 deville(?) for $5. Took the home, took out my "aftermarket" horn which was just as weak as the toyota one. It came with a brass bolt that had the same thread type as the stock toyota, so I decided to put the bolt through the caddy horn bracket. They were different thread types, but I figured if I kept turning the bolt in, it would rethread the bracket Brass is softer than steel. So I ruined the brass (non-conductive) bolt. Well I went ahead and drilled out the hole so the appropriate bolt would fit and tried putting a zinc plated bolt through, since no one had any brass bolts of the correct thread (most were ornamental). I put rubber washers on either side of the bolt. It honked as soon as you tightened down. Then I wrapped electrical tape around the part of the bolt that touched the metal bracket. Still honked. Then I used more rubber washers. Still honked. I thought maybe the horn was grounding somewhere else on its body. So I wrapped the entire horn in duck tape. Still honked! So I bought a rubber grommet. Placed that in the bracket hole, used the rubber washers, and the tape wrapped horn, and bolted it down. It worked!!!! I pushed it around a little to see if it would ground. Nothing. Success! I hopped in the cab and tested it out. Ooooooh it sounded sweet. I decided I should take it for a test drive, make sure if I hit a bump that it wouldn't start honking. So I take all my tools out of the engine bay, close the hood and hop in the truck. My door didn't close all the way, so I closed it again a little harder. HONK!!!!!!!! The horn starts blaring and so I rush out to get hood open and the battery disconnected.... I tried two more times, but it kept grounding itself somewhere....

Utter failure.... So I took it out again....I dropped one horn when I began working (the deeper one ) and the last one I hurled to the ground in rage. I will probably reattempt it, buy an aftermarket horn, use that brass bolt, and try my luck with another caddy horn. They're less than $2.50 if you grab all three since they are considered "one horn."

One thing if you are going to attempt this yourself. The clearance between the grill and the metal that the horn mounts to is very tight. I had to bend the bracket back quite a ways to get the cadillac horn to fit with the grill snapped back up. And there's the story.... Lesson learned: Somethings are better left to store bought.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

I forgot who it was but someone mentioned that they just removed the little flap that covers the end of the stock horn and now it's at the same intensity as the freeway blasters!

I haven't checked it out myself but I'm wondering could an upgrade really be that easy???
... and why exactly does Toyota put that little thing on there in the first place?
Old 10-24-2003, 07:12 PM

I messed up and blew a fuse because I overlooked a couple of points:
1. The stock horns are grounded to the frame and use only one bayonet connection, the FIAMM horns are not grounded and use two bayonet connections.
2. The driver's side wire has two wires going to it. The second (black with silver spots on it) provides the power to the horn on the right (passenger) side. Don't separate the wires from one another, keep them together going into a single bayonet connector on the horn. (drivers side)
3. Both of the FIAMM horns need to have a grounding cable (supplied with the horn) connected to the frame. (I used the mounting bolt for the bracket as the ground connection).
End result: they work fine and sound like a "normal" car horn instead of the wussy-sounding beep beep.

PS- bought both the horns at Advance Auto

Last edited by mdvga; 10-26-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:38 PM

my friend has some oohga horns and i heard those and was bustin up for hours. Ive also heard one of my buds horns that plays the dixie song and am thinking about getting one of those. Not only does it have some nice tunes but is very loud.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mdvga
I messed up and blew a fuse because I overlooked a couple of points:
1. The stock horns are grounded to the frame and use only one bayonet connection, the FIAMM horns are not grounded and use two bayonet connections.
2. The driver's side wire has two wires going to it. The second (black with silver spots on it) provides the power to the horn on the right (passenger) side. Don't separate the wires from one another, keep them together going into a single bayonet connector on the horn. (drivers side)
3. Both of the FIAMM horns need to have a grounding cable (supplied with the horn) connected to the frame. (I used the mounting bolt for the bracket as the ground connection).
End result: they work fine and sound like a "normal" car horn instead of the wussy-sounding beep beep.

PS- bought both the horns at Advance Auto

I did the "upgrade" to my horns this weekend...used the exact method above...all i have to say is they are loud!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 11:53 AM

Anybody have a problem with the Fiamms? Mine went squeky after about a month, the now make less noise than the old "beep beep" horns. I haven't had a chance to pop the hood yet, but they still make a noise, it's just no longer loud.

Rook
Old 11-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Rookie
Anybody have a problem with the Fiamms? Mine went squeky after about a month, the now make less noise than the old "beep beep" horns. I haven't had a chance to pop the hood yet, but they still make a noise, it's just no longer loud.

Rook
Not me!!
Friday as I was leaving work I gave a "beep" on the ol' horn to a co-worker to wave and say "have a nice Thanksgiving Week." When I just tapped the horn, it was so loud the poor guy nearly had to change his underware. I felt bad that I had scared him with the blast, but that feeling only lasted a few seconds, later, I was smiling because I had the ability to get someones attention when I needed to.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Rookie
Anybody have a problem with the Fiamms?
Mine survived being submerged in a lake. They sounded a little funny full of water. I took them off and emptied the water out. Still work great.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:37 AM

Pulled them out and they were both full of water. Emptied and now they work great.

Tip: don't point the horns forward, point them fown like they were meant to be installed.

Rook
Old 12-01-2003, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Quick Install?

Quick comment on my install (97 v6 - Installed the FIAM freeway blasters). Driver side horn went on acceptably well (had to enlarge the truck side hole in the mounting bracket). The passenger side horn had issues with a coolant line (is this a high point vent?). I had to cut about 3/4" off the supplied bracket then drill a new mounting hole (truck side, since I already needed to enlarge it).

Also one horn came with two oversized nuts (perhasp 7 or 8mm) rather than the required 6mm. This caused a quick run to the store for one 50cent nut.

Probably a note to myself on checking parts before starting. End result of 1.5 hrs and 25$ was horns that sounded like a truck, not like a yugo - sorry if I insulted yugo horns.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Quick Install?

Originally posted by Bennito
The passenger side horn had issues with a coolant line (is this a high point vent?).
Do you have air conditioning? If so, then that's the high pressure side of the A/C refrigerant system.

Congrats on the horns!

Last edited by midiwall; 12-01-2003 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fwiw, I finally got an audio sample of my horns:
http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/horns.mp3

Background info is here:
http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/airhorns.html
Old 12-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

I know what my next mod is now,thanks.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:04 PM

Midiwall, sounds great!

I just heard my bro's hella dual horns on his focus. They sound very nice as well. I am thinking I will attempt my horn mod again. I found another threaded hole down by the license plate of the same thread type as the upper horn mount. I will use plastic spacers and the rubber grommet to hopefully avoid it grounding itself. I will also spray the horn with undercoat, so bare metal doesn't touch the horn and trip it. So I need to go to the junkyard this weekend.... If the $5 horn mod works, it will be a hallelujia(sp?) day indeed.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:08 PM

Just wondered if removing the flap on the stock horn actually made it loud as stated. I have been laughing out loud reading all the posts about everyone's horn stories.

Quick Reply: Simple Horn Mod