Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
Did you le check the le flasher?

You're looking for something like this:
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/parts...al_flasher.htm

I dont get a light on the instrument panel but i guess its worth a shot. You any idea on where it might be. Would the hazards and signal "flashers" be right next to each other?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By "light" do you mean a check engine light? You won't get one if the flasher goes.

On my 96, that silver can is plugged into a socket _behind_ the fuse box on the inside of the cab.

Would the hazards and signal "flashers" be right next to each other?
Do you mean the lights themselves or are you asking if there would be one of these cans for each of the turn signals and hazards?

There is one of these devices that controls the flashing of both the hazards and turn signals.

This can is the thing that makes the "click clack" sound when either your signals or flashers are on. The sound comes from a piece of metal in the can making/not making contact with another piece of metal. It's basically a switch that works off of heat.

When you flip the switch for your hazards, or flip on your turn signals, then current starts to flow through this device. That current creates heat, and the heat causes one of the pieces of metal to expand away from the other. {click!} That causes the current to stop flowing and allows the metal to cool. The metal cools quickly, and when it does, it will contract and close {clack!} the circuit again to allow current to flow, thus repeating the cycle. {click clack} {click clack} {click clack}...

It's possible that this device is stuck open. If that were the case, you'd get the exact symptoms you're seeing.

One thing to point out though is that if the device (the flasher) failed, then something caused it to fail, and that condition may still be present. It may be an issue of having too much current pulled through it (i.e., an electrical short). I think it's "curious" that this started happening when you put the fans in. It kinda' makes me question just what circuit you'll pulling power from for the fans.

Good luck! and let us know!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

I dont know how to answer your question but ill take some pics of the dash area for ya.

Guys Im getting scared now. When i was driving i got this wierd fish smell and some other wierd smells. Than i saw light smoke!! coming out of the dash area!!!

help!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Good news! i feel sooo dumb the reason the signals and hazards didnt work was that the connector to the hazard button wasnt connected. That cuz i forgot to when i was tapping onto the accline behind my stereo which involved taking off that dash cover. However the smoking still is questionable i will look around for anything wierd.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin444
Then i saw light smoke!! coming out of the dash area!!!
This isn't good. I would take a guess that this is the result of an electrical problem and if so, you're dangerously close to losing your truck - or worse.

An electrical fire in a vehicle is VERY serious.

The best thing that I can suggest right now is to drive the truck to someone that can troubleshoot the problem. The blinker/hazards issue is a symptom of a much bigger problem.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:43 AM

Ta da, the guess was correct.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

The blinker/hazards problem is cured simply the connector the hazards wasnt connected so at that point the entire loop was well not in a loop so it wouldnt work. However i think the burning came from the switch i made for the fan and one of the connection fell out as well soo i retorqued it and added a ring connector this time and everything seems fine for th time being cheers!
Old 12-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

im glad to see you solved your signals problem. that happened to me once and i felt so stupid after. while everyone is thinking of what could be wrong with blinkers...let me share my problem. recently i installed a remote starter system (design tech) works very well. after installing, my right turn signal would be locked whenever i turned on parking lights or the headlights, locked in the dash area, and the actual lights on the car. and when the lights were off, when i would use the turn signal, all areas that would be lit up when using the lights in the nightime, would blink with the signal. kind of confusing, but try to understand. anyways it went away after like 5 days. well 2 days ago, i installed some back up lights...work great...20 bucks from walmart...however same exact problem is back. i would like to know the problem, even though hopefully itll go away in a few days. ill check the fuses, but i dont think thats it. and something also wierd, ever since that original turn signal problem with the remote start, my dome lights (middle and tailgate one) dont work...theyre pretty new (4 months) and if i rotate them a little or wiggle them around, theyll come back on. im totally confused. any help would be greatly appreciated...just a thought im having though...i have at least a 2000 watt stereo system, remote start, 2 piaa fog lights, 2 lamps, and 2 back up lights, a remote start system...and im using the normal toyota battery that comes stock...help please