95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Should I pursue this issue with ARB?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I pursue this issue with ARB?

Hey everyone,

So there's alot of you out there that are familiar with the issues I've recently had with my OME install. One thing that bugged me was the rear right to left tilt I had after the original install. When I talked to ARB, they had asked me to swap the rear coils side to side and see if that fixed it.

Well last weekend, we did just that and sure enough, the problem was resolved. My issue is that I had originally installed the coils according to the sitckers on them...RH on the RH, LH on the LH. I figured it was a labeling issue with ARB, and e-mailed them to say that. I also requested they pay for the garage time it took to swap the rear coils. 1 hour max, at $20/hr = $20. Its not alot for me to whine about, but its a drop in the bucket for ARB as well.

ARB replied to me earlier today, basically saying that the coils are labeled for NON-US vehicles. Out of the box, the RH coil is taller, because in non-US vehicles, the gas tank is on the RH side.

I guess I was just supposed to know that I should reverse the coils, and install the RH coil on the LH side of my 4Runner. There's nothing in the box to indicate this, by the way.

I replied back saying what I just said above. My question to Yotatech is am I wasting my time with this? Should I really have known better or do I have a valid gripe with ARB?

Sorry if this should have gone to off-topic, but I thought it would be OK here.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

theyre contradicting their statement from the past.

tell them to figure it out! :pat:
Old 04-15-2003, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

That's a valid gripe. Sounds like a production break down to me. Having worked in production for going on 4 years now, you would think they would be happy to do something about this.

If I was ARB, here is what I would say:

"Thank you __________ for bringing this labeling issue to our attention. We realize there is a breakdown in our instructions, and have implemented an action plan to our SOP's (standard operating procedures) to reflect your concern. For your trouble and time, we have included a $___ gift certificate, redeemable on any future purchase."

If I were you, I would not hesitate to tell them about Yotatech, and the exposure (good and bad) that vendor's recieve.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:42 PM

I think your gripe is valid. At the same time your probably wasting your time trying to get arb to cough up 20 bucks. I would chalk it up to experience and hopefully help someone else out in your same situation.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Banned

The United States are a huge market for ARB. You would think that they would have some explaination in the instructions about the fuel tank weight issue and the spring design for their export parts. It sounds like all they have to do is change the wording to say "Driver Side" and "Passenger Side" rather than right and left.

It couldn't hurt to ask them to pay for the labor to switch them. The worst that could happen is that they say no.

Did you get your CV boot issue solved yet?
Old 04-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll wait to see how ARB replies.

Matt, the CV's seem to be fine now. They haven't leaked since I replaced the front coils (882's for 881's). The angles are MUCH better, and the fins aren't touching any more. I'm keeping an eye on them though.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

FYI, mine said PS and DS and was told to install AS LABELED and im pretty much level (give or take 1/4" depending on load).
Old 04-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

That's interesting...I wonder if its possible I was shipped a box intended for Australia??
Old 04-15-2003, 02:12 PM

OK TOM, WHen I go to install these, the RH side label should actually go on the DRIVER side? or vice-versa? I am all confused now!

~Mike
Old 04-15-2003, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

OK, to avoid confusion....

DON'T RELY ON ANY LABELS. Just stand the two rear coils up side by side. The taller of the two, regardless of the sticker label, goes on the side where the gas tank is - which on 3rd gen. U.S. vehicles, is the driver side.

You'll easily be able to tell which is taller just by looking at them.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Tom I wonder if this is actually the dealers fault who sold them to you...You would think the dealer should know of this issue. I am sure the dealer feels bad for the incovenience...maybe he should pay for the coil swap....HHMMM :pat:

Mike
Old 04-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

When I installed my OME coils on my 3rd gen, I called the ARB tech line and spoke to a human about this very issue. They told me in no uncertain terms that the labels were correct for my vehicle (being in the USA) and that I should follow their directions. When asked about the problems others have had, I was told that if it leans one way, "just swap them." Great. And guess what? My 4Runner had a lean to the left....
Old 04-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Gene
When I installed my OME coils on my 3rd gen, I called the ARB tech line and spoke to a human about this very issue. They told me in no uncertain terms that the labels were correct for my vehicle (being in the USA) and that I should follow their directions. When asked about the problems others have had, I was told that if it leans one way, "just swap them." Great. And guess what? My 4Runner had a lean to the left....

Your thread on that issue was the one reason I didn't call ARB myself before the install...I thought the info they gave you was just what I was looking for.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by XtremeOff-Road
Tom I wonder if this is actually the dealers fault who sold them to you...You would think the dealer should know of this issue. I am sure the dealer feels bad for the incovenience...maybe he should pay for the coil swap....HHMMM :pat:

Mike
If by the dealer you mean you, then no way. You've already bent over backwards helping me get the fronts straightened out!

I didn't see any US/Non-US designation on the box, and the dealer doesn't label the coils. I'm not even sure if your distributor would be at fault, for the same reason. To me it seems like an issue with ARB only.

Last edited by TDiddy; 04-15-2003 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Uhh, dude.. the right side of the truck is the right side of the truck no matter where you look at it.. The right side is going to always be "our" passanger side.. Are most Aussies Left handed because they drive on the wrong side of the road?? Uhhh Duhh.... Nope.. where do they drive?? On the right.. Did it change to the left just because they did??

They have them labled worng.. plain and simple.. They need to change their wording and directions.. Push them.. It is their screw up, and they should be thanking you for the IMPORTANT info you have passed on to them so they can fix THEIR ERROR in marketing overseas..
Old 04-15-2003, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

I think it is very well documented that OME installs never go as intended.

If you want directions and consistent springs the word is Downey!.

You knew this going into it.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
Uhh, dude.. the right side of the truck is the right side of the truck no matter where you look at it.. The right side is going to always be "our" passanger side..
what if youre standing in front of truck, facing the rear. then the RIGHT side is the DRIVERS side.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sschaefer3
I think it is very well documented that OME installs never go as intended.

If you want directions and consistent springs the word is Downey!.

You knew this going into it.
OK maybe so, but that shouldn't let ARB off the hook!
Old 04-15-2003, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So is the problem fixed?

If this is an ongoing deal, then yeah something is up. If you swapped them and now it works, then what is the problem?
Old 04-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mertztr
OK maybe so, but that shouldn't let ARB off the hook!
Did you ever see the letter I wrote them? Your pissing into the wind.

Just be happy the Prado parts worked out well for you.

Quick Reply: Should I pursue this issue with ARB?