Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

sadness

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not so sure a typical fire extinguisher you carry in a vehicle would have helped much. and quite personally i would have been more concerned with getting out with my life, and then dealing with injuries.

Last edited by 90runnner; 08-20-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I wasn't saying he shoulda died trying to save it, but an ABC 5 or 10lb extinguisher on board in front of the front passenger seat coulda saved his rig from burning to the ground and kept if from being a total loss.

I just posted a thread last week about a very similar incident involving a friend where the FD said a simple fire extinguisher could have saved his rig from being a total loss.

I have nightmares about such a thing happening to my rig.

Glad everyone was okay.

Old 08-20-2005, 12:42 PM

The one thing that i can look at cheerfully is that my best friend and three people very close to him escaped with their lives. no one should have to experience losing something that you have spent tons of time time and money on. and believe me we spent many an hour and dollar trying to get the damn thing to run after getting it back from corndick. i appriciate everyones concern and will pass your condolences on to him.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 90runnner
The one thing that i can look at cheerfully is that my best friend and three people very close to him escaped with their lives. no one should have to experience losing something that you have spent tons of time time and money on. and believe me we spent many an hour and dollar trying to get the damn thing to run after getting it back from corndick. i appriciate everyones concern and will pass your condolences on to him.
a little OT, but is there an underlying problem with Cornfed????
Old 08-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am allready at wits end getting used to my new rear locker with its loud click when it engages. Eventhough it is suposed to be normal, I have visions of something exslpoding back there because I did something wrong. NOW I have that image to think about too.

I am deffinatly getting a new and bigger fire exstinguisher now. Although I really wonder If I would have been of sound mind durring the situation to use it.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:02 PM

How do you not notice a fire until you are engulfed in it and have to be airlifted? It doesn't look like it had a papier-mache body.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:06 PM

I have never dealt with anyone or talked to anyone from Cornfed Suspension. Upon recieving his truck back hes had nothing but troubles. It would barely run and was assumed due to a friend computer from not disconnecting the battery while welding on the vehicle(witnessed). When he requested that they pay for a new computer he got nothing but crap and was accused of lying about being a fire fighter(he was given discount for being one). The problem turned out just to be a crimp in the main fuel line from where they disconencted the tank and just let it hang.(just being lazy IMO). but the fact of the matter is that they would not take responsibility for damages done while it was in theur posession. We fixed the problem and then encounted another, lack of brakes. When they swaped in a leaf sprung axle in the back they just toarched the brake proportioning valve causeing to remain closed giving barely any stopping power to the back. Getting this fixed was nothing but trouble but it finally happened. The lift itself was not quality either, again IMO. The shackle hangers were not gusseted for just one example. Like i said i have not dealt with anyone from Cornfed Suspensions and i am not blaming them for this. This is simply my opinion of their work.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
FYI: This is why you learn to do your own stuff or have friends that can help you...people you can trust. Sorry to hear about all your troubles.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:11 PM

How do you not notice a fire until you are engulfed in it and have to be airlifted? It doesn't look like it had a papier-mache body
on the account they were traveling at highway speeds adn it came from the rear dif the flames were probably out of sight until he turned around and saw them. then when they stopped the flames no longer went backwards but went up instead, he made sure his girlfriend got out alright and then proceded to get out giving the flames enough time to be in his path of escape. it doesnt take much to burn human skin. im sure he could have been taken in an ambulence, in a city siuation, but the fact that they were in the boondocks of penn they airlifted him.

Last edited by 90runnner; 08-20-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
How do you not notice a fire until you are engulfed in it and have to be airlifted? It doesn't look like it had a papier-mache body.
Do you ever say anything constructive?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Wow that sucks to hear...you're friend's got some good karma comin his way tho (maybe in the form of a new Runner ) for makin sure his girlfriend got out safely before he tried to get out himself. I hope everything goes well for him from here out.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned

Dude,

They where 2nd degree burns, which happen pretty fast. As an ex-EMT and current student doctor, burns are particular dangerous due to infection. Also whenever there is a heli avalible they will pretty much always use it - exspecially when burn centers are not in every hospital and the drive is more than 20min or so.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Randomness
Do you ever say anything constructive?
Rarely

What I'm thinking is they were temporarily deaf from shooting and didn't hear the trouble before it started.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Banned

What I'm thinking is they were temporarily deaf from shooting and didn't hear the trouble before it started.
what...?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:42 PM

"Andrew, his girlfriend, his brother and his brothers friend were on they're way home from canada(brother driving, his brothers friend shot gun and he and his girlfriend in the back seat)"

They were shooting guns in the backseat. Can't you read "English"?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Banned

"Andrew, his girlfriend, his brother and his brothers friend were on they're way home from canada(brother driving, his brothers friend shot gun and he and his girlfriend in the back seat)"

Come closer so I can Hit you.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Banned

Old 08-20-2005, 10:32 PM

When will he ever learn
Old 08-21-2005, 01:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dwh91102
you can see the shackle and spring, feel sorry for who ever lost a great ride
R.I.P 4runner

Ahhh, I see it now.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Contributing Member