Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Review of the Silblade Silicone Windshield wiper blades on a 3rd gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you mean I can stop having the dealer do it ?

Last edited by edzo; 03-05-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by edzo
you mean I can stop having the dealer do it ?
Change your blades? Or buy your blades there?

In either case the awnser is yes.

Just read the above on how to change the rear blade out with most other blades, although i have only done it with the Silblades. It should work wwith just about any of them.

Once you have modded the stock mount then you can forever use any blade and change them out easy.

The front blades are a piece of cake.

As for buying the blades at the dealer. I wouldn't do that but then i hate "stock" anything.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got my SilBlades and they are 10x better than the PIAA Silicone wipers. I think I got a bad batch. Anyway, after reading TA's thread....I decided to get a set of the regular SilBlades and so far they are amazing. It gets everything in one sweep. =) =) =)
Old 03-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i have the rain-x latitude ones like those i think my wiper arm springs are toast as all it does is streak there only like 4months old

Last edited by Elton; 03-05-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Change your blades? Or buy your blades there?

In either case the awnser is yes.

Just read the above on how to change the rear blade out with most other blades, although i have only done it with the Silblades. It should work wwith just about any of them.

Once you have modded the stock mount then you can forever use any blade and change them out easy.

The front blades are a piece of cake.

As for buying the blades at the dealer. I wouldn't do that but then i hate "stock" anything.
I wuz being sarcastic.

I use Rain X latitudes on the front. they work first time every time (and are available everywhere)

and toyota dealer OEM rear blade. ditto on the working first time every time
Old 12-24-2009, 06:34 AM

Just to throw my 2 cents in. I put a set of basic SilBlades on my truck back in 05 while I was off at school, and they're still working great (nearly 5 years now). The truck was parked outside for a couple years, then under a cover at night for a couple years, and now it's garaged. Nothing seems to get to them.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

LOL, seems people love bumping my threads from the dead, but in this case good choice.

I am also 2 years to the day go figure into mine and they are still going strong. My truck also lives in texas and it is pakred in the Texas sun everyday.

Still wipes like new with no issues. I really like the beading effect it puts on the windshield as well. Don't have to use them near as much in the first place.

I HIGHLY recomend these, for the price I am alreayd ahead of buying 3 sets+ of normal wipers by this point and they still are not even worn.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the update-wipers don't seem to last like they used to....
Old 12-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
thanks for the update-wipers don't seem to last like they used to....
No they don't, but in the case of these i have to say they actually DO work as advertized. I was even sceptical at first but i am a beliver now. Got a set on my MR2 and RX7 as well.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this is an old thread but. Instead of spending money on fancy wiper blades, get some rain x in the yellow bottle. You dont even need to use your wipers when your going over 40mph. Its like $4 a bottle.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
I know this is an old thread but. Instead of spending money on fancy wiper blades, get some rain x in the yellow bottle. You dont even need to use your wipers when your going over 40mph. Its like $4 a bottle.
Tried it before, hated it had to remove it within a few days. Caused fogging problems and the window was not as clear.

Plus these wipers do the same thing automatically, they put down the same kind of film that rain-x does. I rarely even have to use my wipers anymore. Takes a few uses for that coating to build up and then everytime you use the wipers then on out it recoats it.

Works great and i never have to apply, buff let dry and repeat every few months. Just run teh wipres a few times and it is done.

Lets just say i am 100% sold on these.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:11 AM

Costco has the Goodyear blades for $7-8 each, same as the Rain-X and Bosch Icon($20). works great.

as for the rear, the OEM is only $12, all you need to replace it is a phillips screwdriver and 10 seconds of your time.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
Costco has the Goodyear blades for $7-8 each, same as the Rain-X and Bosch Icon($20). works great.

as for the rear, the OEM is only $12, all you need to replace it is a phillips screwdriver and 10 seconds of your time.
And you then have to replace those blades every 6 months or so depending on where you live.

So lets add that up:

I spent $25 x 2 on my front blades in 2 years

$50

I spent $25 on my rear blade in 2 years.

$75 Total spent in 2 years.

It took me 20 mins to install all 3 blades in 2 years and i have never had to think about them again.

So grand total for my blades:

$75 and 20 mins of work.

--------------------------

Now lets add up yours:

$7.50 x 2 = $15 for the front blades every 6 months (they are recomended to be changed every 3 but we will call it 6 since that is generally how long they actually last)

$15 x 4 = $60

Then $12 a pop for the rear blade.

$12 x 4 = $48

It takes about 5 mins to install all of those blades each time:

5 x 4 = 20 mins.

So grand total for yours:

$108 and 20 mins of work spread out over 4 differnt times and having to deal with bad wipers mutiple times when you are in a bad storm. Forgetting to get new ones and overall just having to deal with cheap wipers.

Plus mine are still going strong, i have 3 more years on the warantee even and i bet i don't even have to use it at this rate. Want me to keep adding out to 5 years?

Spending the money once and not having to worry about wipers at all for the next 5 years+: Priceless.

No matter how you cut it, in the long run these blades are a better value then the cheap ones. Even if you live with bad blades for a few months a year like most do since they keep forgetting to get new blades (hich is not a fair comparison since the silicone blades always work perfect so you need to compare to replacing normal blades at a rate that means they will work the same) it would still come out cheaper in the long run.

But it is your truck, do as you wish, I like a short term loss for a long term gain persoanlly and not having to worry about wiper blades or not being able to see in the rain again.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:53 PM

2 4Runners and RV4, 3 vehicles and haven't had any problems with the replacement blades since May when I switched them out. it rained alot this year.

the rear blade on my 99 was replaced 19 months ago, still like new. the previous owner never replaced it for 100k miles.

rear blade on my wife's RAV4 is 3 years old, still like new.

I don't know why you need to replace them every 6 months.

Last edited by TC4RNR; 12-25-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
2 4Runners and RV4, 3 vehicles and haven't had any problems with the replacement blades since May when I switched them out. it rained alot this year.

the rear blade on my 99 was replaced 19 months ago, still like new. the previous owner never replaced it for 100k miles.

rear blade on my wife's RAV4 is 3 years old, still like new.

I don't know why you need to replace them every 6 months.
Because i live in Texas, blades simple don't last through the summer and generally need to be replaced before/after summer. When it rains here is pours.

Maybe ya'll are luckier. I know i got a new van and the factory blades were dead within 3 or 4 months after getting it.

No matter what, over 5 years these will come out cheaper not to mention the leace of mind of never having to worry about them.

As i said, it is your truck do as you want, i like doing somthing once and doing it right then not having ot worry about it again. Some don't.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 12-25-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:43 PM

Costco has some that look just like those and are only $9 a piece! They work better than any other blades I have tried too. I need to do that rear wiper mod as well as the factory blade doesn't work all that great. I've also tried all of the expensive blades as well and they just don't hold up to the weather here in Washington. You end up changing them just as often as the Costco ones.

Last edited by rusm; 12-28-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Have you tried a REAL silblade?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Have you tried a REAL silblade?
yeah

they are teh best. really.

oh yeah...other blades are 'just as awesome'...new

then they die 4 or 5 deaths before a silblade even starts to wear
Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
yeah

they are teh best. really.

oh yeah...other blades are 'just as awesome'...new

then they die 4 or 5 deaths before a silblade even starts to wear
Exactly!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 AM

long-term assessment?

Quick Reply: Review of the Silblade Silicone Windshield wiper blades on a 3rd gen 4runner