Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Redline MT-90 - any users here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Nic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob, have you checked to see if your shifter bushing and seat is worn? Changing those out may help a great deal. I changed mine last weekend and it has helped quite a bit.

It sounds like I have the same problem though. I have recenlty changed over to Amsoil. I still have a problem when shifting into second. Once I drive for a little while it gets better. It's most noticeable when it is cold. It's tolerable, but annoying. If I knew the Redline stuff would work, I would change over now and just save the Amsoil from my tranny for the transfer case and diffs.

As far as the syncromesh stuff, out of curiosity, I stopped by a GM dealer on my rounds during work and asked them about the Syncromesh fluid. I was not treated too well. It was like I was an annoyance. I don't know how to say it, but they were very unfriendly and not helpful at all. At one point, I told them I had a Tacoma and they said, "Oh, you're in the wrong place, the Toyota dealership is down the road." Duh. Syncromesh could work miracles, but I won't be buying any.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nic
Bob, have you checked to see if your shifter bushing and seat is worn? Changing those out may help a great deal. I changed mine last weekend and it has helped quite a bit.

It sounds like I have the same problem though. I have recenlty changed over to Amsoil. I still have a problem when shifting into second. Once I drive for a little while it gets better. It's most noticeable when it is cold. It's tolerable, but annoying. If I knew the Redline stuff would work, I would change over now and just save the Amsoil from my tranny for the transfer case and diffs.

As far as the syncromesh stuff, out of curiosity, I stopped by a GM dealer on my rounds during work and asked them about the Syncromesh fluid. I was not treated too well. It was like I was an annoyance. I don't know how to say it, but they were very unfriendly and not helpful at all. At one point, I told them I had a Tacoma and they said, "Oh, you're in the wrong place, the Toyota dealership is down the road." Duh. Syncromesh could work miracles, but I won't be buying any.
nic,

yeah, i changed my shifter bushing a few months back (http://www.4runners.org/articles/shift/). it did not make much of a difference. thus, i figured it was the MT fluid.

anyways, i should be getting it within a few days. probbaly next week. i'll let you guys know how it works.

bob
Old 02-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Nic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oops, I guess you HAVE changed it. Got a write-up and everything...a nice write-up I might add.

Yeah, when you try the Redline, let us know how it works. I'm curious.

If it works well in yours , I might give it a try. My truck is shifting pretty well now, but it catches just every know and again. I hate to go through the trouble of draining the oil since I have recently put it in, but I'll do it if you get good results.

I have thought about putting in an additive, but I haven't found any posts here that positively recommend any one thing. I'm a little wary of going that route.

1997 Tacoma 4X4 Xtra cab 2.7L 5speed
Old 02-25-2004, 03:35 PM

nic,

yeah, i think many of us have the same problem. i did quite a bit of reading on different forums including here, of course, and found that MT-90 and GM Synchromesh came up a few times.

my problem is always in the morning. sometimes i really have to force it hard into gear from N to 1, 1 to 2. I dont have problems from 2-3, 3-4 or 4-5.

Bob
Old 03-02-2004, 09:33 PM

guys,

MT-90 works. check out my thread here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...142#post266142

Bob