Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear tweeter/hiding amp HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear tweeter/hiding amp HELP

I just got a 99 4runner, and already want to go out and add the hole to the air filter, and replace my stereo. I just put in an Alpine cda 7875, and want to add my MB Quartz 5.25 components up front, but I have 6.5 Boston acoustics for the back. I realize that the rear only fits 5.25, but is it possible to put them back there without ripping into my door too bad.
:eek:
But I guess the next question could be, I see that you put your tweeters in the back, and if I did this, I could put my MB Quartz components in the back, and Boston's in the front. Do you suggest doing this? If you do, how would I go about putting the tweeters in the back door?

Sorry about the long questions, but I really love this new car and want to make it as awesome as possible. One more question though, I'm going to install my JBL amp for a Kicker sub, but I would like to hide it like in your car, how would I do that.

Thanks for all the help dude, I was able to install my deck just fine, but definitely need some hand holding with these other things, if you have any suggestions or places to look for help, that would be great.

Old 12-11-2002, 04:09 AM

In your post, you say "you" a lot... is the post directed toward anyone in particular?

If you wanted to mount tweeters in the back, it would be very simple to drill a hole using a hole saw in the pillar that runs between the rear window and cargo area window. You could mount your tweeter there. Not sure about adding one to the door... never had my door apart so I'm not sure how much room is back there. I'm sure it's possible though.

As for hiding the amp... there is plenty of room under the driver's seat, or you could build a custom enclosure in the cargo area and disguise it... I'll be putting the finishing touches on mine next week.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:44 PM

i would suggest putting the BA 6.5 in the front along with the tweeters, and the putting the 5 1/4 in the back. i would just disconnect the factory tweeters and just leave them there. They don't output all that much, and if you try to take them out, it will look pretty ugly.

as for hiding the amp, under your front seats, or on the back of your rear seats. it all depends on what "functionality means for you. I only need to put down one rear seat. so i put the amp on the other seat. As long as i have the trunk cover on, everything's hidden very nicely. also if you have a sub enclosure, that will also help to hide your amp (as long as you have the trunk cover on )

i have also seen people install the amps directly onto their sub enclosures. Even more hidden, people have done installs within the right panel on the inside of their trunk area (where that little utility storage place is) You can hide an amp and a nice 10" in there. of course that would require some custom work, but it'll be completely hidden and you'll still be able to maximize your trunk space. for me, i have 2 10" subs in my trunk, so it's a pain to have to move lots of stuff around, because i either have to take the sub box out (no sound) or i sacrifice space.

hope this all helps
Old 12-12-2002, 10:42 AM

just ask me dude

eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh Big Jew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should just look in my car in your basement to see how to mount amps.

I say mount your JBL amp to your Sub Box, that way you can remove the whole thing if you ever need to. And mount that 4 channel amp that I sold you to underneath your Driver seat. And about that speaker mounting problem.

I would either install the MB quartz up front, like we planned with that Spacer I showed you, or just mount the MB quartz in the rear and drill a hole for the Tweeters. Then you can just drop in those Boston's in the front, I used to have those exact same speakers up front and they sound really nice.

But if it were me I would install your components in the front, because who cares if the back seat has good sound. YOu never sit there. Then I would sell the Boston's on ebay, then get a set of Infinity 5.25s for the rear, they are about 50 dollars shipped for the refrence ones and about 75 for the Perfect series ones.

Peace man....

P.S. the mornings are oh so wonderful!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 10:47 AM

Old 12-12-2002, 10:48 AM

Oh so smart

Jose, who ever thought we would meet on this site. A wise man you are, so wise. I ordered that spacer from sounddomain as per you ever so wise advice, and will mount the components up front. For me to have such an expert in 4Runner audio equipment as a relation to me, I'm just in awe. Thanks dude, and hopefully your mornings are still very fruitful.

P.S. we finally got snow here. HELLA like 20 inches in the past 2 days, it's a good thing I have finals until next Wednesday, I mean really, who wants to have fun anways?

Let's talk later tonight.

Jew
Old 12-12-2002, 10:49 AM

Nice

Danny, your amp looks sweet back there, was it hard to mount? THanks for the picture.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:57 AM

I thought I told you to come to this site I just have not posted anything here, I have been on that other messege board (4x4wire), but I have been noticing I have been hangin out here more.

Peace...

Also you should get those spacers quick. Sounddomain is located in kirkland, so you should get it the next day.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:16 PM

I have 6.5 components up from using existing locations for mid and tweets. In the back I run 5.5 components with tweets mounted just above the door arm rest. Here are a couple of pics of my sub box, amps, disc changer, head unit and TVs:

http://groups.msn.com/2000SR5ToyotaT...oto&PhotoID=21

http://groups.msn.com/2000SR5ToyotaT...oto&PhotoID=20

http://groups.msn.com/2000SR5ToyotaT...oto&PhotoID=27

http://groups.msn.com/2000SR5ToyotaT...oto&PhotoID=17

Paul
Old 12-12-2002, 12:40 PM
AUJWE

Paul....

Paul,

I've got the same Q-Logic box that you have. I noticed that you have put two screws in the back of yours. Is that b/c of rattling? I have considered doing the same to mine. Also, did you DynaMat anything back there? Thanks.

~Joey~
Old 12-12-2002, 02:04 PM

Yes...I dynoed the whole back but I still get rattles. I used the screws to assist with the outer cover of the box. People think I have 2 12" subs back there because of the deep base put out
Old 12-12-2002, 03:20 PM

q-logic rattling

Yah those Q-logic boxes rattle... especially in the location where those 2 screws are.

I guess screws work fine--I put a few long strips of carpet padding in there in between the plastic and the box itself...
Old 12-12-2002, 09:38 PM

As for the tweeters, I added a pair of tweaters on the back window. It makes a lot of difference to people in the back seats.
You dont really notice them unless you look for them.

They are also on my list to have their picture taken
Old 12-13-2002, 12:36 PM
AUJWE

I've got a JL Audio 10W3-D2 in my box and people in the back seat at night always go, where's the sub at? I just say, what sub? I had bought, and still have, an Infinity Kappa Perfect to go in there but it wouldn't fit. I need to start adding screws and carpet and such. It definitely rattles.

Joey
Old 12-13-2002, 12:42 PM

Re: Nice

Originally posted by grimace80
Danny, your amp looks sweet back there, was it hard to mount? THanks for the picture.

Nope not hard to mount at all. You just might want to set the gain, ect before putting it all in there. The only bad thing is that I can't access all of that stuff very easily. Espically the wiring. I just pulled that whole side panel off. I had to virtually rip the little compartment out to mount the amp inside of it. After that I just made holes for the wiring and then I screwed the black compartment back in place. I also have small blocks of wood screwed into the back of it for the amp mounting.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:11 AM

2 amps what to do...

ive read all the replies to this thread and i have both my amps mounted to the back of the rear seat. i was wobdering if i can put stuff on top of the amps without hurting them or should i put them under my seat to restore the utility to my 4runner???? the hidden amp looked cool in the cargo area but i want easy access to the wiring and controls on the amp.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
grimace:

Here is where I put my tweeters in the rear. I used 3M double stick and didn't have to make ANY holes:

I also painted them to match.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:53 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have both my RF's on the back seat.

I have loaded up the back before with both seats folded down and stacked clear to the ceiling with camping gear.

I placed a blanket over the amps to protect them.
Of course I could not operate the stereo then as the amps had no way to keep cool.

The only time I run with the seats down is for camping.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Jason B
grimace:

Here is where I put my tweeters in the rear. I used 3M double stick and didn't have to make ANY holes:

I also painted them to match.

Wow, what a wonderfully illustrated example of how to destroy all the imaging you work so hard to get

I'm just kiddin'....me and Jason will forever disagree on tweeters in the back.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"tweeters in the back" and "imageing" in the same sentance? wtf??

You blow imageing and stageing all to hell with any rear fill. Proven in the iasca lanes time and time again.

ps - good install and painting on those tweets in the back though!

Steve

Quick Reply: Rear tweeter/hiding amp HELP