Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear Main Seal!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt, what motor do you have? I have a new rear main seal laying around I'd probably sell you pretty cheap. I bought it thinking my 22re was leaking there, but it was actually the timing chain cover. Leak stopped after I did the timing chain.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:43 PM

22re. I'll PM you.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:40 AM
Contributing Member

Roger that.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:46 PM
CTB

I picked up some of the Bearin' Seal today, and will throw it in my rig tomorrow. We'll see if this helps my slight drip.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:17 PM

my rear main seal must be leaking too because ive got fresh oil dripping down my diff and i wasnt sure where it was leakign from and i asked earlier.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by 96_First_Responder
my rear main seal must be leaking too because ive got fresh oil dripping down my diff and i wasnt sure where it was leakign from and i asked earlier.
Who knows.. there's a lot of things it could be. Toyota needs to improve their rear main's, half moon's, and grommet's.

Brown - it's a manual. Sorry, never saw your question.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's okay. I was just curious because I have pulled a manual tranny before, and it seems to me to be much easier than the automatic would be. Once you get the tranny out, you'll have to pull off the clutch and pressure plate, and then pull the flywheel off (which can be a pain, because the bolts on that have to be pretty tight, and the crankshaft will want to rotate). Then you are pretty much set and can replace the seal from there.

Putting it back together isn't too bad either, but if you aren't replacing the clutch, you'll have to find someone with an alignment tool to get the clutch disk aligned properly for tightening the pressure plate and inserting the transmission shaft.

Good luck!

Last edited by Brown; 01-27-2003 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:36 AM

Seal mojo

Hey CTB,

What the prognosis on your 1995? Did you drop in some of that fix the seal stuff?

Let me know how it goes!! I dunno wether anyone in town will have the stuff that corey's talking about.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-27-2003, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Brown
It's okay. I was just curious because I have pulled a manual tranny before, and it seems to me to be much easier than the automatic would be. Once you get the tranny out, you'll have to pull off the clutch and pressure plate, and then pull the flywheel off (which can be a pain, because the bolts on that have to be pretty tight, and the crankshaft will want to rotate). Then you are pretty much set and can replace the seal from there.

Putting it back together isn't too bad either, but if you aren't replacing the clutch, you'll have to find someone with an alignment tool to get the clutch disk aligned properly for tightening the pressure plate and inserting the transmission shaft.

Good luck!
In reply to all of this..

I have already replaced my clutch so I know how to drop the tranny, etc. So I will be fine there. As far as the flywheel moving goes, I have a tool that grabs the teeth of the flywheel and as you move the flywheel with the tool on it, the tool's handles will catch the tranny and not let the flywheel move anymore. For the clutch, I still have the alignment tool from when I installed it.

Do you know if I will have to take off the oil pan on my truck? I know with chevy engines you have to take the pan off, so I'm kind of curious whether or not I'm gonna' have to take it off so I know if I have to buy an oil pan gasket.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:39 AM
Banned

According to my crappy Haynes Manual you do not have to pull the oilpan.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:40 AM

Matt,
You don't have to pull the oil pan. Once you get the flywheel off there are two bolts (8mm) if i remember right holding on a 'dust' plate. Carefully pry the seal out. I'd go wtih the Toyota seal. I just went thru a complete rebuild on my 22R (298k before needed). The machine shop used an aftermarket gasket kit and guess what, the rear main is leaking . Also track down some 'seal saver' So as soon as I can afford to have my work truck down for a few days I'll be exactly where you're at today
Good luck. Let me know If you runn into anything else might be able to help.

Nathan
'85 22R 4X4 5 speed pick-up
Old 01-27-2003, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mattimus
In reply to all of this..

I have already replaced my clutch so I know how to drop the tranny, etc. So I will be fine there. As far as the flywheel moving goes, I have a tool that grabs the teeth of the flywheel and as you move the flywheel with the tool on it, the tool's handles will catch the tranny and not let the flywheel move anymore. For the clutch, I still have the alignment tool from when I installed it.

Do you know if I will have to take off the oil pan on my truck? I know with chevy engines you have to take the pan off, so I'm kind of curious whether or not I'm gonna' have to take it off so I know if I have to buy an oil pan gasket.
Matt-- You are way ahead of the game then. Sorry if my post sounded so elementary! I wish I would've had that flywheel tool when I did that clutch, that would've saved a few knuckles.

I agree with the other guys, although I didn't physically do it, but it looks like there is just a housing that you unbolt to get the seal out (similar to the oil pump housing on the front of the engine). Should be a lot simpler than a Chevy type gasket.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:30 PM
CTB

Hey Mike,

I sent you a PM.