Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 01:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

QUESTION: True Flow air filter effectiveness

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MadCityRich
Actually, this is possible. However, history tends to favor OEM designs over aftermarket. The issue with flow is increasing the surface area over which air is drawn. The reason we have pleats in our filters is that it increases the surface are vs just having a flat filter media. As the filter gets clogged, air will still take the path of least resitance. By having extra surface area, areas that are clogged can be bypassed in favor of surfaces that are less clogged.

Most aftermarket filters, across the board, have less surface area than original OEM filters. This is a broad generalization across a lot of car models, manufacturers, and filter providers, so please don't point out exceptions; I'm sure they exist.

Now, if a filter is claiming to let more air through, and it has the same or less surface area than the OEM filter, the ONLY way it can let more air through is to filter less.

MadCityRich

I can see your point on pleated filters having less chance of clogging. However, I still cannot picture a flat filter letting in less air than a pleated filter (I'm talking volume only, not filtering action). The opening of the intake is still the same, no matter how you put it. The suction force is the same. And if the filtering material is the same, how can it be drawing in more air?

If you were to stretch out the pleated filter, modify the intake box to the now bigger filter, it will draw in the same amount of air? I cannot see this. But I am pretty hard-headed.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
dude a used rag would filter better than those crap K&N's and what you saw that was building up was the oil used to charge the filter gathering and collecting dirty air that was seeping in...
I wouldn't be that hard on K&N. They do an adequate job. It's just that most people don't wash them enough and then they over oil them. I still think OEM is the best, you can't wrong with it.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 PM

I can see your point on pleated filters having less chance of clogging. However, I still cannot picture a flat filter letting in less air than a pleated filter (I'm talking volume only, not filtering action). The opening of the intake is still the same, no matter how you put it. The suction force is the same. And if the filtering material is the same, how can it be drawing in more air?
You are correct. There is still a fixed cross section of the intake tube that can only let so much air in for a given vacuum. I don't think more pleats can change that.

MadCityRich

Last edited by MadCityRich; 02-08-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Has there ever been any evidence of engine failure due to use of any air filter? I think we spend to many threads discussing this subject and still have no solid evedence of one is better than the other.

When I raced my turbo Eclipse I ran OEM,HKS (treated foam) and a K&N and all seemd the same.

The foams ones from what I've seen could start to come apart in very little pieces over time and with my K&N I've never had any issues and if something very big was getting past the filter my turbo vanes would've shown it and they didn't but then again it was a street only vehicle.

With my Runner I got a K&N with it but I went with paper since it does filter the best and since the performance gains mean almost nothing on a stock 4Runner I figured filtration off-road was more important than the insignificant HP and MPG gains you get from more flow. I did the deckplate and plan on doing the ISR removal but I still want the best filtration over a few measley horsepower or MPGs you might see.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Has there ever been any evidence of engine failure due to use of any air filter? I think we spend to many threads discussing this subject and still have no solid evedence of one is better than the other.
I don't think there are any evidences of engines suddenly exploding due to the filters. And I don't think that was ever the claim. The research was done more for the longevity of the engines. Less filtering means more dirt; more dirt means more engine wear; more engine wear means possible future headaches, such as oil leaks.

I intend to keep my 4Runner for a long time, so I'm staying away from aftermarket filters.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:41 PM

I read on Yotatech that the True-Flow was the best Air filter and I needed a new one so I bought one. Don't know how much air it lets in, but it does filter well. I drive on dusty roads often and my car with 122k will have cleaner oil after 3k mi than many cars and trucks that have half the miles. My best friend has a stock 2000 4runner 5-spd and my California 5-spd with 40k more miles will beat his car every day. All mine has is a true-flow filter and dynomas exhaust, I even have bigger tires. Just my two cents but I am happy with it.

Last edited by mpavolka; 02-20-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:42 AM

dude a used rag would filter better than those crap K&N's and what you saw that was building up was the oil used to charge the filter gathering and collecting dirty air that was seeping in...
Dude, that cleaning was with both of the not having to be recharged. They both use oil. Those cleaning test were done before I recharged them.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by icerunner
I do agree with your statement about UOA's comparisions... yet, on the other hand, he did say that the Maf and Air duct was very clean downstream from the true flow.

I just question why the hell does the filter fit so tight to where I can BARELY get the filter lid shut...?
Seriously the metal tabs are about to break when I try to close the lid....WTF?
A 55.00 FREAK'IN filter... and I can't close the lid.....?
Now that pisses me off....

Any one else have this issue?
Is ONLY my filter designed poorly?
I didn't read all the posts to see if it was answered, but I had the same problem with it fitting. It's a manufacturing defect. I got mine from Jason at Burtman Industries, contacted him with the problem, had another shipped to me asap and it fit perfectly without having to apply any pressure at all. Very happy with the filter.

But I agree, I too was like WTF, this expensie and it barely fits!!

Return it and get another.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

AMEN BROTHER.............Letter to True flow

Originally Posted by 89-4run
I didn't read all the posts to see if it was answered, but I had the same problem with it fitting. It's a manufacturing defect. I got mine from Jason at Burtman Industries, contacted him with the problem, had another shipped to me asap and it fit perfectly without having to apply any pressure at all. Very happy with the filter.

But I agree, I too was like WTF, this expensie and it barely fits!!

Return it and get another.

Dear True flow,
I purchased my true flow air filter from Champion Toyota a couple of months back. I recently just installed the filter when my old filter was fairly dirty. I am a little disappointed that I can not close the filter housing, at all. I believe that this is a "clearnace issue" involing the design of the filter caseing (too large) FYI: I have been working on cars for 18 years so I do know how to install a filter. This is clearly a Manufacturing defect to where my filter does not fit into the OEM filter housing... What can be done about this, do you guys have a fix for this issue?
I own a 99' toyota 4 runner 3.4 Litre SR5.
Thank you,
Mark
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have heard that it is indeed a really tight fit for the filters, and they dont want any room in or around the housing. but, let us know if it was a defect, we cant rule that out.
also, i saw a video on the effectiveness of filters. granted its a trueflow movie and the results are probably riggeed, but when they passed the dirt through the paper, soo much went in. when the passed it through the k&n a lot less went through, and finally the trufulow let just about nothing in there...

i dont remember where the video was, or how rigged it might have been. just sharing....
Old 02-11-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is correct...more air flow = more dirt flow...

OEM papers are the best...toyota engineers arent on crack...

any gains you would see from a hi flow filter are negligible.....the increased amount of dirt entering the engine is not worth it for the power increase. But hey, its YOUR engine.....
Old 02-11-2008, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
This is correct...more air flow = more dirt flow...

OEM papers are the best...toyota engineers arent on crack...

any gains you would see from a hi flow filter are negligible.....the increased amount of dirt entering the engine is not worth it for the power increase. But hey, its YOUR engine.....
exactly BUT you arent even really getting a power increase either. if so its only 1/2 hp at best... the only time you would really notice a difference would be if you had high flow cat, muffler and headers.. if what you have is stock the true flow or k&n filter wont do sheit for you but make it sound cooler.. so why bother? ill save the $ :-)
Old 02-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

it's defective Not just "Tight"

Originally Posted by infiltrator
i have heard that it is indeed a really tight fit for the filters, and they dont want any room in or around the housing. but, let us know if it was a defect, we cant rule that out.
also, i saw a video on the effectiveness of filters. granted its a trueflow movie and the results are probably riggeed, but when they passed the dirt through the paper, soo much went in. when the passed it through the k&n a lot less went through, and finally the trufulow let just about nothing in there...

i dont remember where the video was, or how rigged it might have been. just sharing....
HERE IS THE EMAIL RESPONCE I JUST RECIEVED FROM TRUE FLOW:

[B]Good morning Mark,

Sorry to hear about the fitment issue you're having, I am well aware of the problem. Two years ago there was a mold half mix up that resulted in a few misshapen filters. Send us your bad filter, and we'll take care of the rest. Use RGADMS208

Donovan M Shafer
True Flow Design
866-999-9098

I'm glad they are going to take it back yet, The only issue is that now I have to spend 25.00 to buy a new paper filter for the time being to replace the true flow that I currently have. they should just send me a new one.... PITA

Last edited by icerunner; 02-11-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

My Letter Back To True Flow

MY LETTER BACK TO TRUE FLOW:

Donovan,

I'm glad you guys are going to take it back. Yet, this is the filter that I am currently using for the truck, and the only issue is that now I have to go out and spend money to box and ship the defective filter back and another $25.00 to buy a new paper filter for the time being to replace the defective true flow that I currently have. About $35.00 everything said and done for something that never should have been defective in the 1st place....See what I mean..?

Can you please just send me another one and I can place the old filter in the box to ship it back to you..?

Mark
Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 AM

get em' mark! lol
Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 AM

I should stop by True flow and have them fit test a filter in my airbox since they are right down the street from me. I think the owner lives close to me since I see their yellow True Flow truck all the time in my hood...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 AM

icerunner - I'd just go get a Fram or something for cheap (~$10, aren't they?) while your filter is getting sent to you. When you get the new filter, keep the Fram as a spare.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:27 AM

I think I had to pay shipping to send it back, but I had a paper filter on hand to use. I use my paper filter when I clean my True Flow. It is a PITA when you have to deal with returns with any company (when it involves mailing).
Old 02-11-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dig my AFE (TRD) airfilter.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, i agree use a cheapie for 10 bucks in the meantime.

if he didnt mention shipping, then you will eat that one.

but he will ship his out for free...

good luck man

Quick Reply: QUESTION: True Flow air filter effectiveness